Roy Bradford

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Peter
Expert

Roy Bradford

Post by Peter »

Anyone have any info on Roy Bradford that I don't? I know the following:

1) He was a Dutch Hunter in the 20s-40s era.
2) His main areas of interest were on Malapais Mtn and the Upper Labarge/Coffee Flat/Red Tanks country.
3) He partnered up with Al Reser for a time.
4) He liked his "adult beverages"...perhaps a little too much.
5) He spent considerable time at the Barkley ranch when he wasnt Dutch Hunting.
6) He covered over a desecrated grave in the Barkley Basin, alleged to have been one of the Two Soldiers.
7) He originally came from California or retired there, I am not sure which.

Thats about all I have in my files. Any info to fill in would be appreciated.

P
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Peter,

I don’t think Bradford partnered with Al Reser. I believe Al started in the mountains circa 1949/’50. I think Al knewBradford and certainly knew men who had partnered with Bradford. I have heard it rumored that Bradford was in WW I, and that his family in S. Cal. helped to support him in Az.; that, in fact, they wanted him out of their area. Again, just hear say, not even first hand. I am pretty sure of the following -- Bradford seriously searched three main areas in the mountains. For years he had a permanent camp in upper La Barge. Then, like most Dutch Hunters, when he could not find the mine where he was convinced he just knew it should be he shifted his area of interest and convinced himself that the mine was in that area. So in the ‘30s he moved up on Peter’s Mesa/Malapais area and camped with a friend for a few months at a little basin in what today is known as Deering Canyon which has at least seasonal water. One season up there was enough for Bradford, besides no water in the summer. He then convinced himself the mine was on the other side of Music Mt. and set up a permanent camp at what is today called Brad’s Water. To my knowledge this was his last permanent camp. One of the ironies of Bradford is that he had a stool in camp, which he liked visitors to use. It was known he had a special map which he kept to himself. He kept the map in the stool and seemed to get a kick out of having other Dutch Hunters literally sit on his secret map. There is a map labeled Bradford’s Map in my book, but whether or not that was “The Map” I do not know.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Post

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

Dr. Glover has added a little more information to the "Bradford" story in his book in his last post. Like him, I had never heard of the connection between the two men. Do you have some information putting them together? If so, can you share that source?
I would imagine Ron could add to this discussion.

Respectfully,

Joe
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Tom,

Thanks for the info.

Joe,

I'm not 100% sure about the Reser connection. Could be I confused Reser with some else (like Abe Reid?). What I threw out there was off the top of my head, as I completely neglected to mention the "Roy Bradford Map" which I have a copy of.

P
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

No Kidding

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

I would be rather shocked if you did not have a copy of Bradford's map. :lol:

Respectfully,

Joe
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Yep. I dont think that particular map is going to lead anyone to the mine anytime soon..........
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

For those of you interested a copy of the Bradford Map is posted on this site. Its about 2/3 of the way down in the LDM MAP section.

P
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

The Bradford Map posted two-thirds of the way down on this site is the same one in my book. But, I have recently learned that it is not “The Bradford Map”. Still working on what the map was he kept in his stool. Al Reser knew the last of the old timers – he knew Aylor, Abe Reid and I believe he knew Bradford. But, like Abe Bradford was in his last years when Al could have known him. Did they partner? Probably depends on how you define “partnering”.