WHY LITTLE BOULDER CANYON......

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

WHY LITTLE BOULDER CANYON......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

There are many reasons to suspect the area of Little Boulder and the ridge that seperates East and West Boulder Canyon as the location(s) of the LDM......as well as Harry La Frances cave of gold bars.

One of those reasons is the military trail that is shown on Dr. Glover's 1867 military map. He shows that trail going all the way through Little Boulder, but in reality, it leaves Little Boulder and crosses over into West Boulder on an ancient trail, only visible in places where it was worn into bedrock.

The Waltz drawing is of a saddle just west of Weaver's Needle on the ridge seperating East and West Boulder. This is possibly the area that Julia and Rhiney were trying to reach on their first trip to the Superstitions.

When Brownie Holmes started his final "systematic" search, that area was one of the first places he searched.

Adolph Ruth was killed while in that area with what many considered an authentic map from the Peralta's.

P.C. Bicknel's directions place you on that same ridge, to the exclusion of any other place in the Superstitions. Those directions likely came from Julia or Rhiney.

There is a large mineral deposit in Little Boulder and it is right where the military trail starts over into West Boulder.

Those are just a few reasons that make the area attractive to some Dutch Hunters. Anyone have some others?

Joe
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

I agree

Post by Gene Reynolds »

There are many reasons to suspect the area of Little Boulder and the ridge that seperates East and West Boulder Canyon as the location(s) of the LDM......as well as Harry La Frances cave of gold bars.

Adolph Ruth was killed while in that area with what many considered an authentic map from the Peralta's.

There is a large mineral deposit in Little Boulder and it is right where the military trail starts over into West Boulder.

Joe - you have hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned....If I were able to go there - you are so close to where I would be.........

Good luck - Gene Reynolds................. PS.... I am going to try to make the Pow Wow in October if all works out.........
Writer of Borrego 13
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Kind Words

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

Many thanks, but that nail may be more elusive than our opinions.

On the other hand, it's always nice to have others who agree with your conclusions. :D

I hope you are well enough to make the Rendezvous and look forward to meeting you there.

Take care,

Joe