Stone Chiefs

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Stone Chiefs

Post by count »

Peter, <br>I was in the massacre grounds recently, and I'm curious what you referred to as the "stone chiefs"? I saw a few things that you might have meant.
count
Expert

Post by count »

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of the background of a feature in the massacre grounds area called the "Massacre Ramp"? I was looking at a Arizona hiking web site, and they had a picture taken from the top of Geronimo Head and point out that you could see the Massacre Ramp from there. <br> <br>Link: <br>http://www.hikearizona.com/t2002/phx/su ... /gh256.jpg <br> <br>Anyone know if there is a significance to the name, or is it just that it looks like a big ramp?
count
Expert

Post by count »

OK, I know what you mean. Thanks. There are also 3 big tiki-looking monoliths farther east out in the middle of the massacre grounds, visible very well from the cliff at the end of the trail.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Interesting picture. And good web site! <br>I've never heard of "massacre ramp" before. Maybe this guy made up the name.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Its possible he may have made up the name, I have never come across it before, but its also something I might have missed. <br> <br>If one takes the Massacre trail up past the little needle thru the saddle there and then down thru the "valley of the bones" and on up to the left size of another spire, I beleive one will arrive at the "Massacre Ramp". To me it looked like a small mesa with cliffs dropping off to the east and west. <br> <br>Directly north of the Massacre Ramp is a small hill that is heavily monumented, its at this place that I beleive much of the final fighting took place between the Apache and Mexican miners, at least if I was going to try and make a stand in that area, that hill is probably the place I would do it. <br> <br>Just from looking over the terrain, if the Apache did try to set up an ambush at the end of the fight, I wouldnt be terribly surprised if they had a contingent of warriors on the Massacre Ramp proper, as it would seem to be a good spot to launch an assault from, with a good view of the surrounding area. <br> <br><The above is just speculation, no I wasnt here...so who knows for sure..>