LDM

This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please.

Moderator: Jesse J. Feldman

JIM HAMRICK
Part Timer

LDM

Post by JIM HAMRICK »

Today I took a tour of the Apache Junction area via Google Earth and was amazed at the encroachment of civilization as I think of it as it was in the mid forties and fifities. The time is near when all that was so fine is lost for ever.

There are two old sayings that contradict each other, "gold is where you find it" and "to find gold, go to where it has been found before". I think that most of you dutch hunters follow the first saying but I wonder why more of you don't adhere to the later. There is little doubt that the mine or mines have been searched for the last 110 years with no documented finds. I still have to believe that if the mine actualy exists it will be found, or has been found in the Goldfield area. Gold has been found in more than one mine in the Goldfield mountains.

It is a amazing to see the posts generated by contriversay but this may come from the observance that lost mine hunters tend to be solitary searchers. I am saying this to encourage seekers to attend this years get together and share some of their knowledge before we all run out of time one way or the other.

Jim Hamrick
Buck
Greenhorn

Date

Post by Buck »

Jim,

When is the LDM get together this year?

Buck
JIM HAMRICK
Part Timer

LDM get together

Post by JIM HAMRICK »

Mr. Buck

That is a question I would like to have answered myself. I thought a date had been set but I can't find the post that detailed this if there was one. All of the back and forths over this meeting has left me with a suspicion that this is a contrived leg pulling agenda so I don't know whether to bring a box of tissues to wipe away my tears of laughter or bring a bulletproof vest for protection.

Jim Hamrick
Buck
Greenhorn

LDM Rendez...

Post by Buck »

Jim,

I found the info on the postings. It is my understanding that it is set to take place at the Don's camp on October 20, 21, 22....

Buck
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Rendezvous

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jim and Buck,

Unless the Don's pull the plug on us, we will have the Rendezvous as advertised in the topic. As we get closer to the event, I will re-post details.

I hope to meet both of you there. I will post the names of the people who confirm they will attend. That will only include those who are in my stew party. :lol: The $25. will be refunded to those who show up, and that will give us some kind of count. No money needs to be sent in order to attend the Rendezvous. I will repeat that a dozen or so times between now and Oct. for those who did not understand it the first dozen.

You are correct on the dates.

See you there.

Take care,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Re: LDM

Post by Mike McChesney »

"JIM HAMRICK"Today I took a tour of the Apache Junction area via Google Earth and was amazed at the encroachment of civilization as I think of it as it was in the mid forties and fifities. The time is near when all that was so fine is lost for ever.

There are two old sayings that contradict each other, "gold is where you find it" and "to find gold, go to where it has been found before". I think that most of you dutch hunters follow the first saying but I wonder why more of you don't adhere to the later. There is little doubt that the mine or mines have been searched for the last 110 years with no documented finds. I still have to believe that if the mine actualy exists it will be found, or has been found in the Goldfield area. Gold has been found in more than one mine in the Goldfield mountains.

It is a amazing to see the posts generated by contriversay but this may come from the observance that lost mine hunters tend to be solitary searchers. I am saying this to encourage seekers to attend this years get together and share some of their knowledge before we all run out of time one way or the other.

Jim Hamrick
Jim,

One funny thing about gold is, a lot of times, it pops up in places no prospector would ever look! You look at a mountain, and say to yourself, doesn't look very interesting to me. You hike into some old arroyo, and POW! There is a fat quartz vein with some color in it.

As far as I know, the ore from the LDM has never been found anywhere else in the Supers (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). This means that the LDM is somewhere never found before or since. This would tell me to look someplace away from all the rest of the known claims.

So, I would amend the second statement to say, "to find gold, go to where it has been found before, unless evidence shows otherwise"

Mike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Point!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mike,

That's a very good point, not always true, but usually.

The Massacre Grounds is one of those places. Got an old campsite, mine just around the corner, arrastre bracketed by two washes coming off the main mountain and possibly supplying enough water for a lot of workers and animals, depending on the time of the lyear.

If Waltz found that site and picked up a crap-load of discarded ore, he would have taken it directly to the Bank Of Waltz. A well hidden spot in the mountains he had found on an earlier trip.

He then gets everyone busy looking for a mine, when it never existed. Nice wild-goose chase. He traveles the Superstitions looking for the source of the gold he found at the massacre site. That's why the reports of seeing him all over the place. When he needed gold, he just went directly to his cache's.

Only one who knew the truth, was Julia. She took the secret to her grave, not telling anyone. She knew exactly what she was looking for, but never saw it. Petrasch never knew what she was looking for until he stole the purse. At that point they were to far lost to ever fine the right place to look from.

Brownie Holmes figured it out eventually. Doubtful anything is left in the cache.

Interesting thread.

Respectfullly,

Joe Ribaudo
buscar
Part Timer

Post by buscar »

Joe & Mike,

And, if you extend only a small distance up the side of the mountain, you will see Weavers Needle to the south.

buscar :)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Weaver's Needle

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Buscar,

"And, if you extend only a small distance up the side of the mountain, you will see Weavers Needle to the south."

Which mountains would you consider to be north of Weaver's Needle? Would Yellow Peak and Tortilla Mountain be considered north? To get that view, how far would you have to climb? 500' - 1000' or even more?
Would you be higher or lower than Weaver's Needle? Would you be inside or outside the 2 1/2 miles from the Needle?

Just wondering how accurate the popular stories are.

Joe Ribaudo