Glenn Magill

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Glenn Magill

Post by count »

A question for those of you trying to piece together a timeline from the 1870s to 1890s: <br> <br>As somewhat of a novice to this subject matter, I'm curious as to why Glenn Magill's findings don't seem to get much mention. It seems like certain aspects of his story corroborate part of the story; specifically the part about the Indians covering up the mines. If I remember correctly, he claimed that the mine shaft that he dug out had several layers of logs and/or caliche, as if someone had spent a lot of time to cover it up. <br> <br>So, is there some other details about his story that make it seem less impressive? Perhaps the mine site that he found was already known to the old-timers? Maybe some of you have looked over the site and been less than impressed by his conclusions?
count
Expert

Post by count »

I think I could write an entire book (or at least a novelette!)on the entire <br>Glen Magill search. <br> <br>From folks I have spoken to that I respect, all seem to think Magill was a sincere individual who really beleived <br>he received unique information from Erwin Ruth as to the location of the LDM. I am happy to report, that a very good LDM friend of mine has written an article for the upcoming SMHS Journal that will shed some light on the Magill/Ruth connection...he has some conclusions that may surprise, but which I think are quite valid. <br> <br>I will make the following observation, then let my betters wade in on the subject. <br> <br>If you read Magill carefully he constantly references Sims Ely's THE LOST <br>DUTCHMAN MINE and Barry Storm's THUNDER GODS GOLD. (Had Magill read Ely carefully, he would not have been looking up on Bluff Springs Mtn, btw). However, I think Magill read Storm carefully.....too carefully. <br> <br>In my addition of TGG (2nd printing, October 1946...for those who care), page 116, is a photo of Needle Canyon looking south towards Weavers Needle. Bluff Springs Mtn is on the left, Black Top Mesa on the right. On the center top of the photo is a smaller picture of a man squating at what Storm says is a "reopened Peralta Mine". There is an arrow that points down to the EXACT area on Bluff Springs Mtn that Magill says he found the LDM.......20 YEARS LATER !!! Coincidence? <br> <br>I wonder.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Yes, I've noticed the similarities to the picture in Storm's book. Kind of interesting - Magill describes methodically looking for and finding the various sites that Storm shows in his book. But he never says anything about looking for Storm's "reopened Peralta Mine", which as you point out seems to be in the same spot as his discovered tunnel. <br> <br>Also, there is the problem of Magill's crew not having any experience in prospecting/mining or archeology, and misinterpreting what they find. <br> <br>That said, the pit that he described still seemed intriguing. Even if it had been discovered or known about previously, its hard to imagine modern day searchers spending time filling it in, laying down layers of cement-like substance, etc. Magill claimed that some of the fill is not from the immediate areas, that he found timbers in the bottom of the shaft, etc. <br> <br>So even if his site isn't all that he makes it out to be, doesn't it still seem to fit the stories about someone going in and covering up mine shafts?
count
Expert

Post by count »

The legend of the covered up mines is an interesting one. <br> <br>Story goes that after the Apache drove the Mexican (Peralta?) miners out of the mountains they set about covering up <br>the various mines and prospects to keep the miners out of the region and erase all trace of them....all save one. This one mine they left open was then used as a source of gold to buy rifles, ammo, etc... It was in such an out of the way location that they felt sure that no one could locate it. <br> <br>How did they cover up the mines? The Apache women and children (Apache men didnt do any manual labor..those were the days....but dont tell my wife I typed this..LOL)simply threw everything handy down the shafts, and in some instances would plant trees over it to further camoflauge the area. <br> <br>Now did this really happen? Good question. As with everything else in this story..who really knows? Bark and Ely seemed to have tracked down an old Apache woman who claimed that her band <br>"spent all of one winter camped on a small mountain covering up a mine(s)". <br>There are other anecdotal accounts in the same vein told second hand by others. Again, there is no way for us to know whether they are true or not. <br> <br>Still, this brings us back to the Magill story. He says he found a covered over shaft in the same area that Storm seems to have reopened a prospect. Would Storm and co. reopen the prospect, then go thru the trouble of closing it back up, leaving it for Magill to find two decades later? Did erosion and the elements simply cover it over? But Magill seems to say the shaft was covered over with caliche that hadnt been disturbed. At this late date, we just dont know.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Have enjoyed this site. I spent some time this past March and April reading Magill's account in Gentry"s book. I have looked closely at topo maps where Magill refers to. There are numerous mine workings in the area which I intend to explore. Not to find "The Mine" but just for fun.I made three trips to the area near Bluff Springs and have certain co-ordinates from topo maps in my GPS. Will be back for moe exploring in March and April of 03. Am interested in any comments regarding locations.