The Black Legion and The LDM

This is a moderated LDM discussion forum for those who prefer to be protected from disagreeable posts. Your moderator is Joe Ribaudo.

NOTE: The moderator will see your IP if you post to this form!

Moderator: Joe Ribaudo

walker12
Part Timer

Post by walker12 »

It depends on the definition of total. For example, I will not be getting in on the "opportunity" to get hundres of billions of dollars in the Phillipines. So I guess that is something I am "missing" and keeping me from being total.
:wink:
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Joe wrote: The Apache are the only ones who know where the LDM is located. That information has been handed down over the years. I doubt there is any gold left in the Waltz mine/cache. It may very well be inside Weaver's Needle.
Joe,
This remark was totally off the cuff of this thread, and seemed quite out of place (aside from the Apache comment). Why would you say this, and what do you know about the inside of Weavers Needle? It's my understanding that Piper and Jones (especially Jones) thought the gold was in the needle itself.

Late49er wrote: Once enough of them were sent to the other side and enough of the mountain was rearranged by high explosives they lost all interest in the area
Where did you get this info? I have never heard of anyone using dynamite in the mountain (as of yet anyway). What did they blow up? Where? Why?
bill wrote: NOW there are so many maps that will take you to the area that is all you need BUT you have to suffer and sweat to find the X marks the spot.. it,s there but you will not find it by marching across 6-10 mile of rough terrain and pick your butt and pull your nose for 6-7 hours and then packing up for the rough march home. You are going to have to stay on your search for weeks at a time and ride out to your search area so you won,t be too tired to think clearly.. It,s there but you must REALLY search for it..
The area? This post would imply that you know exactly what "area" the mine is located, as do others. I am also "guessing" from the post that you have been there yourself, and are speaking from first hand experience? Am I incorrect?
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy,

"I have said everything I know about the Black Legion, and speculated a bit as well. ....."

I have heard stories from folks who claimed to be eyewitnesses to events that support every word in my post.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
late49er
Part Timer

The Black Legion

Post by late49er »

Hello Randy,

From what I understand explosives have been used in the Superstitions off and on for a long time. Suspect most of it was associated with various mining operations, and attempts to find the LDM.

Believe I read an interesting post where John Chunning apparently was using explosives to open up a crack in a hill somewhere in the Sup`s.

The particular instance that I was referencing was primarily a little payback for the Massacre and to hide and protect a very sacred location. As to where it all happen interestingly enough that is a part of the Stone Map Mystery.

This is all I can say for now.

Regards,

Late49er
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

man, this story gets crazier and crazier everytime I turn my head! What did I get myself into? :lol:

Late:
Your reply obviously raises more questions, most prominent is why would John Chunning (also seen it spelled Chuning?) want to payback "whoever (I'm assuming the Apache's)" for the massacre? He wasen't there when it happened.......
Also, how can he uncover a crack, and cover up something else at the same time? Dosen't make sense....maybe because I don't know all the facts :)

Thanks for your replies.

BTW, I found this...if it means anything

http://cyberread.com/info/1869/hard_she ... timerider/

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook23810.htm
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
late49er
Part Timer

The Black Legion

Post by late49er »

Hello Randy,

I mentioned John Chunning only as an example of a person who was using explosives in the Superstitions in an attempt to locate the LDM. He had nothing to do with the Massacre or any efforts to how will I say this even the score.

I assume Chunning was attempting to open up the crack in hope of it leading him somewhere. Believe it was about 18 inches wide when he started blasting.

The party that was involved in the payback situation lost a wife in the massacre. Have to say if I was around I would have been happy to pitch in.

When I send you the book I will put in some material that might help you sort through some of this.

Regards,

Late49er
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

ahhh

Thanks!
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

A little late, but here is the story of the "Black Legion" as I know it.

large portions of the Superstitions are very sacred to the Apache (mostly). These places belong to their Thunder God.

When the whites came, the Apache killed anybody who intruded into their sacred areas. As gold was found, the whites lost their fear of Indians. As Joe said, many of the people found dead, were found headless. The Apache said that was the work of the Thunder God. The Apache knew that the whites were a very superstitious folk, and a story about a Thunder God's Curse would do more than 100 Apache Warriors.

This is where the "Black Legion" comes in. I don't know if it's true about them always dressing in black and the like, but they did (and probably still do) exist. These few warriors are the protectors of their sacred land. When they killed, they took heads. This added to the legend of the curse,and kept many people away. I think the name came from the whites because it sounded very ominous and scary.

One story I can tell is from a guy who hadn't spent a ton of time out there, but wanted to go scouting around. He set up camp near Blacktop, and put down tripwires and bells to warn him about visitors in the night (coyotes and the like). He woke up in the middle of the night to a feeling of a presence. He didn't hear a thing, but the hackles on the back of his neck were at attention. Because none of the bells were ringing, he thought it may be a bear, so he pretended to be asleep. He had his nine millimeter in the sleeping bag ready to go. For about a half hour, he stayed awake listening and hearing nothing. Eventually, he went back to sleep. The next morning, he peeked out of the tent to see a single solitary tennis shoe print right in front of his tent flap. He purposefully swept the area so the dirt was clean when he got in the tent. There were no other footprints in the 20 or 30 foot circle of his camp. He believes to this day that this was their (Apache) way of warning him they were watching. The tripwires were missing, and nothing else. He was unnerved all that day until his partner showed up. He said that for the next couple of nights, he swore he could hear the distant ringing of those little bells.

Mike
LDM
Part Timer

Re: the Black Legion

Post by LDM »

LDM
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

A Slight Difference

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mr. Spiney,

I can see where you might feel that way.....However, there is a slight difference.

I have admitted using "Heidi". I did not use that name to attack anyone.
If you feel that is the same as others, such as yourself, have done, by all means advertise it. Why not drag every post I made, as "Heidi", into this conversation while you're at it???

I was not in the conversation and being constantly attacked by......, such as yourself, and the topics stayed on point. Your only purpose for being here is to disrupt the Forum and to make weak, pathetic attacks on me.

Most forums have a moderator, or group of moderators, to remove such pointless attacks. Members, such as yourself are given warnings, and if they are not heeded, removed from the membership.

The topic was Adolph Ruth, not Joe Ribaudo. The management has created a place for your nonsense. Why not use it?

Joe Ribaudo
Scott
Part Timer

Post by Scott »

In the late 70's we were asked to stay out of the Sup's during the weeks before and after Easter holidays. This request came from the San Carlos Apache's who told my Mentor in the 50-60's.The reason, I was told was ,that time was sacred. Easter was spent with my family .
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Heard the same story about Ed Piper. Story goes that he had to leave the Supers every year for a bit because of the Apache.

Mike
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

OK JOE!

Now you have my IP! :D :D :D

Mike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Timing

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mike,

Thanks. I just don't care to trade private messages or e-mails with people who are ashamed to put their real name on their insults and threats.

Many of them come on very friendly but have ulterior motives.

This is a reply to your last post on the LDM Forum:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It goes on all the time here. It was really no big deal, but the "death" thing at Christmas, and the fact that a long time member was actually on his deathbed, gave it more meaning than the actual stupidity of the "game" warranted.

It's a waste of good energy to take anything said on this Forum to heart.
I know, because I have wasted a great deal of time on worthless members.

Count knows exactly which names are all from one person. It would be nice if he published those names, but I understand why he doesn't. There are some well respected (by most) members who have resorted to other names to deliver threats and insults that they are unwilling to put their own names to.

On the other hand, there is a great deal of very worthwhile information that has been posted to this Forum.

Take care,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Thanks for the info Joe.

As you have found out, with me, it's "What you see, is what you get!"

I give everybody the benefit of the doubt (at first), but I also take everything said with a grain of salt. Most info people post is easy enough to verify. Well, not necesssarily the info itself, but the folks that are posting it. If I can verify that somebody is who they say they are, I give more weight to what they say.

I'll figure everything out in time.

Best,

Mike