The Camping Trip

This is a moderated LDM discussion forum for those who prefer to be protected from disagreeable posts. Your moderator is Joe Ribaudo.

NOTE: The moderator will see your IP if you post to this form!

Moderator: Joe Ribaudo

Joe Ribaudo
Expert

More

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Lazarus has just confirmed. He will be bringing his wife and two additional people.

We are now at 28 confirmed people who will be at the camp out. A few more and I will have to set up a dance floor and hire a band. :lol:

There is plenty of room, so if anyone else is still thinking about it, send me your personal information and I will add you to the list.

Should you take a look at the earlier post, where I have listed those who have confirmed they will be there, you will see the reason this camp out is worth attending. I had no idea there would be this kind of interest or the level of knowledge they would bring to the event.

The invitations will be closed on Oct. 14 After that date you will have to wait for next years meet.

Still waiting for input. Late 49er has suggested an auction of LDM articles,
with the proceeds going to the Phoenix United Way. I could get behind something like that, but need others to speak on the idea.

This would be a great time to bring your kids along. I was intrduced to the LDM legend at 13. It's been a wonderful hobby for 47 years.

See ya there!

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Yikes!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Make that 32 8O

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

One More

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Just got off the phone with "Scott" and he is confirmed for the camp out.

I don't know if all of you remember Scott, but he came on the forum for awhile and was immediately threatened by our resident "Wanna-be Apache". He hung in there, and showed himself to be one of the "good guys".

I seem to remember him being interested in dowsing. azdave35 may find that of interest. The two of you can talk it over at Twin Buttes. :)

We are now at 34 confirmed.

Take care,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Looking Ahead

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Not much input from those who are coming to the camp out. That is not unusual, and was kind of expected.

It makes no real difference, as we will all have a great time anyway.

I expect we will have a number of people who will not be able to attend due to unforseen circumstances. Because of the conversations I have had with a number of you, I don't expect the number will drop below 20.

If anything comes up, please let me know as early as possible.

All who have confirmed they will be there, will be treated with respect.
I will hold no grudge for anything that has transpired on the forum.
I am saying that, in case Wiz is coming under another name. :lol: 8O

Take care,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

One thing I would like to suggest which would be nice is a group photo. Also nice is whatever logo you chose, we put together a small poster for everyone. I am one of those photo happy guys. Took close to 400 pics while in San Diego for 3 days. Other than a mandatory bonfire and lie out our butts about what we pretend to know. I would hope that whatever we do encourages others for the next time.
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

I'm certainly hoping to take a few group photos. I'll be bringing along a camera or two.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Poster

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Zentull and Lazarus,

I like the idea of lots of picture. One of the members coming will probably take one or two (thousand). :lol:

For those who may not want their picture taken, we will have a special tag they can wear.

I like the poster idea as well. Do we put something together before the event or after?

I have had 0 votes for a name for this meet. I will give you guys one more day to post a vote. I am leaning towards something a little shorter, like "Dutch Hunters Rally I".

I will send you all a picture of Weaver's Needle that would make a nice backdrop.

Take care,

Joe
late49er
Part Timer

meet in the desert

Post by late49er »

about the pecan pie?

pretty girls?

brunswick stew?

Perhaps We should bring M&M`s and krispy Kremes. No mercy for the old single guys.

Regards,

Late49er
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Stew?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Late,

I have been thinking of bringing something for Friday night. Stew would be perfect. I can keep it simmering and folks can dish up a bowl when they arrive. Homemade stew with Texas Garlic Toast was on the menu for my last two trips into the Supes. it was fast, and easy to put on the table. Perfect! :)

Take care,

Joe
bill711
Expert

Square timbering

Post by bill711 »

late49er that was german Phillip Deidsesheimer who is the one who come up with the square tim. with the honeycomb effect for the walls and stopes in the comstock mines where they had an oozing mud problem. I just come accross this tidbit. bill 8)
late49er
Part Timer

Square set timbering

Post by late49er »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the heads up. Square set Timbering has been used in a number of deposits other than the Comstock. It is really a great low tech solution to working in soft earth.

Had a friend in Canada a ways back, up in the Yukon, who used it quite successfully.

What is particularly helpful is that it is a quiet technology. Can be used in places where one prefers to remain peacefully left alone.

Regards,

Late49er
bill711
Expert

Square timbering

Post by bill711 »

Yes Late it is safe and you use your fill as you go! Bill 8)
Roger
Part Timer

Superstition Mountain Treasure Hunter's Club Meeting

Post by Roger »

The Superstition Mountain Treasure Hunter's Club will meet on Monday night, October 31, which is the Monday after the weekend camp out. The meeting details are as follows:

Superstition Mountain Treasure Hunter's Club
Meets @ 7:00pm on 1st Monday of Month
Meeting Location:
Pinal County Justice Court
Roger
Part Timer

Superstition Mountain Treasure Hunter's Club Meeting

Post by Roger »

The Superstition Mountain Treasure Hunter's Club will meet on Monday night, October 31, which is the Monday after the weekend camp out. The meeting details are as follows:

Superstition Mountain Treasure Hunter's Club
Meets @ 7:00pm on 1st Monday of Month
Meeting Location:
Pinal County Justice Court
575 N. Idaho Road Suite #200
Apache Junction, AZ

This location is very near central AJ.

I was a member of this club for a number of years and they occasionally had great guest speakers. Will try to find out who is speaking Oct 31.

This might be a good extension to the camp out for those who can attend.

Roger
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Wives?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I have not received much response to this question: How many wives will be coming to the camp out.? Some of you have indicated that you will be coming alone and others have mentioned relatives (non-female).

Lazarus has said his wife will be there and that makes two women counting my wife.

If you are bringing a lady, let me know. If not, let me know. If you are bringing a guest let me know. Coming alone, let me know.

I want to get a handle on the number of people and how you will be camping. I know some of you have already given me this information, but many have not.

Mr. B has already responded to the e-mail I sent, and though not bringing a lady, adds two more guests to the list.

We are looking at 36 campers at this time.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Numbers

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

As expected, as we are getting closer to the date, things are coming up with some of the people who confirmed. The number is now at 31. I don't really expect the number to change all that much by the date of the camp out, but it could happen.

Fritzski and Sam have had to back out of the trip. They have both expressed an interest in the next one. We will all decide on that at the campout.

Maps and information will probably go out tonight. You will receive an e-mail.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Jack Carlson

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I have carried Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewart's "Hiker's guide to the Superstition Wilderness" into the mountains every trip since it came out.
Only two books made those trips. The other was Dr. Glover's.

Tonight I received an e-mail from Jack, saying that he would try to make the Rendezvous. While I have never met the man, we have talked and exchange a few e-mails. I would be surprised if he did not show up.

I believe there are few men who know the Superstitions like Jack Carlson,
and having him at out campfire would be a great addition to the event.

I would like to meet him in person, and thank him for the labor of love that created their book.

Thanks Greg.

See you at the river.

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JIM HAMRICK
Part Timer

the camping trip

Post by JIM HAMRICK »

I wish you sucess with your camping trip and hope the weather cooperates. I am sorry I could not be there. Maybe next year?

If possible, could someone post a short review of the camp out and what the out come of this event was?

Jim Hamrick
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Let'sTalk About It

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jim,

I can assure you the Rendezvous will be talked about. :lol: No doubt you will get sick of hearing about it.

The road to the camp site is pretty good. You still have two weeks to heal. No need to do anything but relax should you decide to make the drive.

All,

I hope this will evolve into another event. This year we will just get used to each other and the whole idea. Next year there will be a lot more planing that will go into the event.

Right now, I am planing on making beef stew for Fri. night, along with Texas Garlic Toast. No one needs to plan a meal for that night, unless stew is not your thing.

I will probably also make biscuits and Italian sausage gravy for Sat. morning. Everyone will be on their own for everything else. I will bring a large gas B.B.Q. which will be available for everyone's use.

I plan on being there Thur. afternoon to set up shade and get myself squared away. Anyone who is available and wants to help will be more than welcome. :)

I would like everyone who wants a T-shirt to let me know today. They run large, so unless you are 250# plus, you probably don't need an X-LRG. Price right now is $19. Ea. That's for 12 to 23 and we have 15 requested. If we get to 24, the price will drop to $16. Those of you who are on the fence about this, have the rest of the day to make up your mind.

This week you will alll receive another e-mail, asking you to confirm that you will be there, again. I want to get a firm handle on the number. If I don't hear back, I will assume you can't make it. Everyone please make the effort to reply.

Thanks,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
murphy
Part Timer

Post by murphy »

Joe and all Campers,
I hope you all know what a momentous event you are going to! Wish I could join you, I can't wait for next year. Good luck to you all.
murphy
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Missing People

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Murphy,

It is a shame you can't make this event. A number of people are in the same boat, just can't make it. :cry:

If this goes over well, next year's rendezvous will likely be much bigger.
Every person who can't make it to this one, is talking about being there next year.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Lost In The Shuffle

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Scott, Hound Dog and Zentull,

I don't know if you have received the information on the camp out, but if you e-mail:

[email protected]

He can e-mail you a map.

Hope you make it.

Joe Ribaudo
lazarus
Expert

Camp-Out

Post by lazarus »

The camp-out was great fun. My wife and I had a wonderful time, and were both very impressed with everyone who attended. My wife would like you to know that she has never met a nicer, more sincere group.

I wasn't able to attend as long as planned, and regret having missed as many folks as I met. I am already looking forward to the next opportunity to get together.

I will be writing more later, and will let you know when I have posted
my story.
WyattWestwood
Part Timer

Post by WyattWestwood »

I had a great time at the camp out with you all Joe and Friends. You guys are truly a good bunch of real good people and I'm sure sad I didn't get to meet all of you. Your Saturday afternoon hunt for signs and symbols went off with out a hitch.

I ride my quad quite often in that area and know it very well. While hiking over a couple of those monster ridges I found a spot that I'll have to take my EMI equipment back into and check for a rabbit hole. I almost lost an eye while hiking down from it when a cats claw got me in the right retina. I lost my damn sun glasses then I fell and it happened right after that. I had spare shades back at the LDM camp site in my truck.

Your quad was very nice to Joe. You have a very lovely wife. Good stew!

That is indeed a vast area to hunt in and those canyons are nice to drive through. I sure did have a good time hunting with you all on Saturday.

Maybe next time I'll introduce myself under my real name and not an aliase. I didn't want to rain on your parade and get your dander up.

You are all a Nice group of people though.

Now how about one of those Tee Shirts?
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Wyatt,
you were welcome to stay longer... I'm sorry you had to run along. The stew was indeed quite good.
The hunt was great fun, although had you participated, you would know that in fact, it did not go down without a hitch... the long shadows fell much too soon.

I was not present for the entire event, but rest assurred, we were all aware of your proximity. It may surprise you to learn that the camp-out was not used as a tool for dissing others. Perhaps next year you won't feel it nessesary to sneak around.