Bluff Spring Mt

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
hound dog
Greenhorn

Bluff Spring Mt

Post by hound dog »

Does anyone know of any mines on the top of Bluff Spring mt or on the north end?

Hound dog
azdave35
Part Timer

Post by azdave35 »

al morrow was at the north end of bluff springs...glen magil was on the west side and on top of bluff springs...he is supposed to have found a few mines in that area...if you look on a topo map on the west side of bluff springs there are some mines marked on the topo..i believe one of those were one of the mines magil thought was the dutchman mine
Roger
Part Timer

Chuck Kenworthy on Bluff Springs Mtn

Post by Roger »

And, of course, a more modern find is that of Chuck Kenworhty who documented his find on the North end of Bluff Springs Mtn in his 1997 book, "Treasure Secrets of the Lost Dutchman". On page 63 you will find a topo marking the exact location of the mine he claims is the Spanish mine associated with the Dr. Ruth maps. On the back of the booklet is a cholor photo of the mine area. I have photographed it also and the "X" he shows above the mine certainly exists. Still want to take some time and run a metal detector below the suspected mine location and look for any float that might be there.

Roger
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Northwest side of Bluff Springs

Post by Gene Reynolds »

For what it's worth cat. - Glenn told me the shaft they found was overhanging the side of the mountain down a short distance fron the top. They used a 50 foot rope to hang over the side to get to it. It was filled in with rocks - etc. so they took quite a while to empty it out - it had a cone shape to it as the old water cones would have - I don't remember how deep he said it was. It had apparently been worked out and then filled in by whomever........ Hope this helps.

Gene
Writer of Borrego 13
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

A friend and I found a claim marker in a shallow cave on the top northwest slope of the mountain a few years ago. Can't recall off the top of my head what the name of the claim was. We were travelling fast and didn't spend a lot of time looking for the dig, if there even is one. As it turns out we were doing the "Hidden Valley Loop" from Jack Carlson's book in reverse, but we didn't know it at the time.

No help, I know, but it was at least an indication of a possible mine up there.
armchair
Part Timer

Bluff Spring Mountain

Post by armchair »

Mr. Reynolds,

It is always very interesting to hear of comments Mr. Magill made after publishing his book. I don't have his book handy but I recall he said he used a rope to get from the mine area down to the tunnel area, I believe he said it was about 200 feet down.

I've always thought it strange that his mine area seems to be so well known, but no one has ever been able to find the tunnel area again. I've always wondered why such an interesting find seems to get such little attention.

Did he ever talk with you about the tunnel?
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Did we ever talk?

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Armchair - Yes, Glenn and I talked many times and about a lot of subjects but he was very personal about the Arizona project - even with me. There was only one night, at his home , after dinner that he and I sat down and watched hundreds of slides in the living room and for hours. That's one night we talked about Arizona for hours and he said a great deal. I asked if they ever found any gold? He said they did - but he said it in such a reclusive way that I can only imagine it was very little. He said it wasn't enough to make him rich. If you knew Glenn the way I did at that time - one would draw a conclusion that it was somewhere between a trace and $20. bucks worth. I would bet closer to a trace. (the next day I asked John lee if he had any of the gold - he mad a sound and said no - Glenns got it) Glenn told me they had to hand over the edge using a 200 foot rope - which means it was less than 80 feet to the shaft they found. Since they tied it to a boulder on the top - you have to allow for that and the knots -I would guess closer to 50 to 60 feet from the top. You are not going to just walk up to it and not many people like hanging from a rope that high and looking down.

One or two of the slides showed a glittering substance in the rock. I asked him if that was the gold - he just moved on to the next slide. I got the feeling it wasn't but that he wanted me to think it was. Glenn did have some strange ways about him. He was nice one minute and the next all hell might break lose. Some of that I think was his sugar problem. When the insulin was gone - get out of his way....... that's putting it nicely.

Glenn and his wife Melba, took us out to a steak dinner one night and then raised hell with me the next day because he goated me into picking up the bone and getting a small amout of meat off of it. He said it imbarrest Melba.! Judge for yourself.

I was always carefull around Glenn. He was a great guy when he was in the right mood for it. But then he also threathened me by saying John Lee (Good at a fight- so I am told) was going to kick my ass if he told him too! So, when that started I accepted the challenge and told him to tell John Lee to get insurance before he made the attempt. Glenn never knew that John Lee and I went out all the time to night clubs in OK City and were good friends and I also knew John would be biting off a lot more than he could chew and I think John knew it as well. A man pretty well knows another man. We can generally size each other up before we make a bad move. Anyway John and I did many things together while Glenn was counting sheep. I thing that John to this day - is a friend. I wish I knew were he was. I could problaby find him if I half way tried.

I will say this about Glenn even with all his faults = I have never found him to tell a lie. (and I have checked him from all angles) He will be quiet and end a conversation before he is trapped into something he will not talk about. I found this out on many occassions. If he tells you something - you can bet it's true. It's when he stops talking and walks away you have to watch for. Sadly - he is now gone -irregardless of what I think about some of his actions - he still has my respect because of his never telling me a lie.! I will always respect him for that.

Now it's time to find the dog - (I still haven't beat him yet today) and it's getting late. I had a short lived girlfriend once that had a cat. She asked me if I like cats - I told her - sure - they taste just like chicken - why you got one for us...... ? That was the shortest 48 hour relationship I think I ever had.!

Good luck -

Gene Reynolds
Writer of Borrego 13
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Wiz wrote:A friend and I found a claim marker in a shallow cave on the top northwest slope of the mountain a few years ago. Can't recall off the top of my head what the name of the claim was.
I looked through my notes, and it was the "Tuffy #2". Does anyone know anything about that claim? Just curious.
coroner

Post by coroner »

Anonymous Proxy ? What's that ? In most cases, general purposes proxy servers ( from proxy list ) do inform the target server about the address of the computer that made the request, transmitting the IP-address and other personal information to the website. But among different kinds of proxy servers ( from proxy list ) there are so called anonymous proxy servers ( from proxy list ) that can hide your IP address, which is a unique ID assigned to identify your location, as well as many other personal information, thereby saving you from vulnerabilities related to it.: http://www.checkproxy.net