Borrego 13 is here

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Borrego 13 is here

Post by Gene Reynolds »

The CD I have been working on is finally available now. There are 7 ready as we speak and up to 100 are being made. This is a Limited Edition of the Borrego 13 manuscript - 300 pages and they are readable and or printable from the CD. Here is an insert from the CD case...

Borrego 13

It all started in 1975 when a then young man named Gene Reynolds got involved with a private detective in Oklahoma City. Gene was given an assignment - to find out all he could about a man that was shot and killed in Arizona hunting for what be believed to be the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine. In his travels and endeavors, he found out much more than he had bargained for. Gene went from Washington, D.C. to San Diego and nearly everywhere in-between tracking down information that would eventually lead him to a lost mine in California that he found. He now not only had proof that Adolph Ruth was there, but The Peralta's of old Mexico as well. Not only did he find the California mine, but he also found additional clues that may very well lead him to the Lost Dutchman as well. Now he has to decide what his next move is going to be.

IT tells about the missing Perata book that no one was aware of until a few weeks ago and a great deal more - It was 30 years ago it was started and has taken these last few months to get ready for pubblication.

The book (on CD) costs $30, and $5.00 Sand H - and can be obtain by sending a check or money order to:
Borrego 13
P.O. Box 13
Pendergrass, Ga. 30567
I feel the CD is well put together and hopefully you will be proud to own it.
Let me know if you want them signed and to whom.........

Thank you for being The best LDM group around

Have a great day.........

Gene Reynolds
Borrego 13

PS - Thanks to J.R. I finally got off my a and finished what I had started ..........
Writer of Borrego 13
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Long Overdue!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

This is long overdue, and I believe it will be worth the wait.

The difficulties in getting a book into print, not to mention the cost, can probably be addressed by Dr. Glover. There is no reason, in this day and age, that a book on a CD is not a reasonable alternative. I, for one, will be happy to get it in any form.

Any serious researcher into the LDM needs to know all that is available on Dr. Ruth. His search and what he found in the Borrego Mt. area is the prelude and catalyst for his trip into the Superstitions. I believe your book could answer a lot of question and create new interest in Dr. Ruth's short search for the LDM.

Good luck and God speed.

Respectfully,

Joe
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Post by Gene Reynolds »

--
Last edited by Gene Reynolds on Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Thanks Again

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

I look forward to receiving your CD. Thank you for the advance page.
You have a flair for writing and I have no doubt the book will be hard to put down.

I hope you sell a million.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Borrego 13

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

I received the CD, and just wanted to thank you for the professional job you did, and the quick service.

I am transferring the book to paper and will put it in a three ring binder.

Anyone interested in the events surrounding the Ruth family and the Peraltas, needs Borrego 13.

Thank's again, and best of luck.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Check

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

Do you want the check made out to Gene Reynolds or Borrego 13?

Respectfully,

Joe
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Post by Gene Reynolds »

--
Last edited by Gene Reynolds on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writer of Borrego 13
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Opinions

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

The last time someone, I felt was a friend, asked me to critique a book, I gave an honest and balanced opinion. That friend don't send flowers anymore. :lol:

Respectfully,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Flowers Came

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

The flowers came, so I guess I will write a few words about your manuscript. :lol:

For those out there who are looking for a finished product, like Dr. Glover's books, you may be a little disapointed. :(
However, as you work you way through the manuscript, you will find yourself looking forward to each new page. :)

Gene's manuscript is a journal that leads you through a major event in this man's life. He does not leave much out, and you are presented with a faithful account of his search for history.

Gene did not leave anything on the table in his search. He gave it all he had, including personal relationships.

He had information that was unique and unpublished. His friendship with Glenn Magill is layed out from day one. His contacts with Adolph Ruth's sister put him within a hair's breadth of one of the most important pieces of the LDM puzzle I have ever heard of. If the book in Stella's basement was not a hoax, it reveals a very telling piece of evidence which gives us a major (likely) indication of what will be found at the LDM site today.

This manuscript was written with the sweat and blood of Gene Reynolds, and it makes for an interesting read. Like any manuscript, or rough draft, it could use a gentle massage by a good editor and proofreader. It does not look like that will happen anytime soon. This CD is well worth
taking a look at.

Gene, I want to thank you for making the decision to go ahead and make this CD available. If it ever makes it into book form, I will be one of the first people in line.

Your friendship with people like Thomas Glover, Glenn Magill, Stella Hawkins and some Dutch Hunters I will not name, are a treasure trove of memories which will remain with you forever. You are a fortunate man indeed.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Hoax - ?

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Thanks for your responce Joe and the open possibility.

"If the book in Stella's basement was not a hoax, it reveals a very telling piece of evidence"

Here's why I believe it to be genuine = The book was obviously old written a long time ago. If Adolph or Erwin were planing on using the book for other than honorable conditions, then why in the 30 or more years that they had it - use it or let people know they had it? I believe it to be genuine. There were sentences written in pencil on many pages around the edges of each page and sentences underlined too - which tells me they were studying the book. If the book was to be used as a hoax = then why in all the years that they had it - tell someone that they even had it?

Someone would have gone through a lot of trouble to print a 100 page book - put a binding and cover on it, - and then let it lay on the shelf forever and never tell anyone about it - Wouldn't make sence.!!!

It is my opinion that between the book and the maps Ruth had - Ruth new exactly where he wanted to go in both California and Arizona. Also remember - I still have a letter written by Erwin that gives some interesting clues as to the location of the Arizona mine that I have never seen published before. There are other reasons that this letter has not been seen before and it is not because of the clues to the mine.

I hope this has been some help to you rather than simply confuse you more. If there are other questions - feel free to ask - until then - thank you

Gene Reynolds
Borrego 13
Writer of Borrego 13
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Glen's Folly?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

After reading Gene's manuscript, I am left with this:

It would appear that the Ruths had legitimate (authentic) maps that led to specific places in California, and Arizona. It would also seem that Adolph had possession of a book, with additional information and clues.

There seems to be little doubt that these things are directly tied to the Peraltas.

Glenn Magill had "Peralta" maps that related to the Superstition Mountains in Arizona. He found nothing. Gene Reynolds found a worked out mine in California. If that is the sum total of what can be found with the "Peralta" maps, are they worthless now? Did both men read the maps correctly? If not, perhaps those who are looking for the LDM or the Peg Leg might want to take the work of those two men, and apply it to there own puzzle.

If everything that Glenn and Gene had was a hoax, who was the "perp"?
The Ruths had never been to Borrego Mountain or the Superstitions, so that pretty much leaves them out of the lineup. You might suspect Erwin, since he did not want to go to Southern California and argued with his dad about going to Arizona. You would need to have Gene's manuscript to pick up that little fact. 8O

The maps were not something that someone with a vivid imagination dreamed up while sitting in the shade, sipping cool water, somewhere in Sonora. They had to have been there, and the book that Gene found in Stella's basement points directly to the Peraltas.

Now I know that some of you have had Gene's manuscript for a long time,
and I have no doubt that your partners have also seen the story. Why the silence on this topic? For those of you who are "newbies", this may be the closest thing to evidence you will find. Perhaps that explains the silence. :wink:

Dr. Glover, Tom Kollenborn and S.C. could add a great deal to this conversation. If you know something, good or bad, about Gene's manuscript, why not share? :) Is there something in there that might point someone in a direction you are saving for yourself? :roll: Is there a clue to the location of the LDM to be found in the mountains of Southern California? YES! (Lots of opinion here) :)

Gene,

I am convinced you are correct about "the book".

Respectfully,

Joe
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

The Book

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Let's see how many of you will give this a sincere try. I am going to give you the names of the people that I last spoke to on the telephone in regards to the book intitled simply "PERALTA".

In my last conversation with her - perhaps 20 - 25 years ago, I told her there was a very valuable book in the basement, in the bookcase. I told her that the next time she went to the house (of Stella Hawkins) to make sure she got it. She assured me that she would. We are talking about the niece = Eleanor Clark. The phone number I had for her at the time I recognized as a New York area code. When I was talking to her I asked her what part of New York she was in and the answer was Long Island. I tried to get a bearing on what part so I asked if she was close to Westbury and her answer was no - probably 20 or maybe more miles away. She also told me that the phone was unlisted in her husbands name = Don. I have since lost that number.

I have traced who the house was sold to that Stella lived in thinking this might give me an advantage such as to whom it was sold and who they bought it from - as to possibly get an address in case it was sold by her niece Eleanor Clark. I gave the information to a couple of people that may or not have followed up on it. People always leave a paper trail no matter where they go so they are not impossible to find - perhaps difficult because on a rather common name though.

I don't mind helping some in the search but my time is limited do to poor health. I intend to spend what time I have left as much with the kids as I can.

Good-luck in hunting them,,,,,,,,,,,......... ONCE YOU FIND THEM ( AGE ABOUT 65 NOW) REMEMBER TO BE POLITE - IT WILL GET YOU A LOT FURTHER ALONG AND YOU MAY THEN BE ABLE TO SOLVE = THE lOST DUTCHMAN....

Good Luck -

Gene Reynolds
Borrego 13
Writer of Borrego 13
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Post by Gene Reynolds »

--
Last edited by Gene Reynolds on Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writer of Borrego 13
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Roger - your answers

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Roger - I cannot answer all your questions at the same time - you have a lot of them - but I will attempt to answer what I feel are the most important ones.

5. The most intriguing part of the story had to be the times you spent with Ruth's wife. Having the Peralta book in hand might provide the information that would have made the Lost Dutchman no longer lost. Tracking it down after this many years is a real challenge. You said that Mrs. Ruth let you have a letter and map that was Ruth's. Care to share what they were about?

Answer = Stella Hawkins was Adolphs Daugter - not his wife
The letter not only gives additional clues to the mine in Arizona but opens up a can of bees. (so I am told) Therefore , rather than subject a family to what might be a problem it might be better not to open the can of bees.
The map does not pertain to Borrego - therefore I felt it better not to deal with it.

7. The multiple mine shafts you found on Borrego Mtn with the two statue type formations on their front walls was very interesting. The comment about a niche in the back of one with a Maddona-like figure in it would hint at a mine shrine. My immediate suspicion was that the two statues were actually man made and placed to cover up two mine openings into the mountain. Did you ever think about trying to get behind them?

Answer = Yes - I felt they were natural formations - just a freak of nature - and so did the Geologist I had. However - they were not very big, perhaps 5 feet tall and you could easily tell there was nothing under them.

8. The clue from John Lee that Ruth had fallen down from some steps leading up to the mine would seem to eliminate all of the sites that you found from your descriptions. Correct?

Answer = Wrong - John Lee was getting confussed - Ruth fell into a ravine or wash trying to get out of the area at near dark and broke his hip. Not only did Stella verify that but so did the San Diego Union. Newspaper.

9. I personally think that the Peralta mines Ruth was after were not related to the Pegleg mine.

Answer - You may be right - Remember that when Ruth went there in 1919 , he didn't have all the knowledge that we do today. Ruth was familiar with the Peg Leg story , therefore - he assumed it must be the Peg Leg. I have pictures of gold nuggets that were found in Borrego Valley close to where Ruth went ranging from 1 ot 3 oz. and had the black varnish on them as well.........does that mean that where they were found must be the Peg Leg = No, it simply means that there is more than one place they can be found there.

Enjoyed your book a lot and hated to come to the end. You noted that you may be trying to make another trip to Borrego - think that will happen?

Answer = I would love to go out to Borrego again , and if there is anyway possible - I will. From Georgia to Borrego is over 2000 miles and with todays gas prices - the cost of food and motels - it would take at least $1500. to go. Send it today - and I will be there tomorrow!

I hope this helps to some degree - to bad we can't set up a question and answer thingy in Arizona - I'll bet there would be many questions yet to come. There will always be questions without logical answers and all we can do is try. What is logical to one is not always logical to another.

For now - I wish you good hunting - Find the BOOK - Peralta

Gene Reynolds
Writer of Borrego 13
Roger
Part Timer

Borrego 13 - Ruth's Letter and Map

Post by Roger »

Care to share the LDM clues in Ruth's letter minus the "can of bees" items?

Also, do you know where the map pertains to if not the Borrego?

I did enjoy reading your manuscript very much and it certainly was worth the price.

Roger
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Roger -

Post by Gene Reynolds »

ANSWER = I will Roger but not just yet. I have to find the letter first - then scan out what I need ........... perhaps in a couple of days.....

Also, do you know where the map pertains to if not the Borrego?

ANSWER = I can only make a guess. I assume that Ruth was sent a combination box of goodies - California and Arizona......... I only know of Borrego and the mine in Arizona - Remember the Peralta Book - They had more mines than 2. One assumption would of course be the Dutchman but don't bet everything you own on it. I will tell you positively that it does not go to Borrego!

I thank you for your comments on the book - I only wish it had a few more pages saying we found " THE BOOK "!

Gene Reynolds
Writer of Borrego 13
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Roger

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Roger - you posted a question which I am now ready to get back to -

Anwser : I said I would and I will with one acception. I think it would be unfair to post it here because people like yourself and a few others and spent money to purchase this book and you would be paying for the benefit of everyone else. Therefore, if I you personally, or anyone else wants a copy of the additional clues in Erwins letter, that has already purchased the book or does so in the near future - send me your email address and I will send it directly to you. That is the only fair way to do it.

Thanks Roger for your question-

Gene Reynolds
Borrego 13
Writer of Borrego 13
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

The Last of Borrego 13 - $20.

Post by Gene Reynolds »

I thought it interesting that an Arizona newspaper would take the time they did to write this story yesterday....... For those of you in Apache Junction - you can get this paper now. By the way - there are only a few Borrego 13 CD's left. I have not gone to the trouble of making CD case inserts for them - That is the only difference between these and the others that cost more. I am letting the last few go for $20. plus $5. S&H. and that will be the end of it for me.

Now here's the story:

An Arizona newspaper is running this story - I think its called the Winter Visitor-On the front page I'm told

Adolph Ruth was one of the Dutchman mine hunters in years gone by. He tragically met his death in the Superstition Mountains and only after several months, his remains were found. Little else was known about him at the time and many people have tried to find his relatives in Washington and learn more about him.
It has been written that a daughter was located and that she divulged a lot of information about her father and his travels in search for the Lost Dutchman mine. Over the years many have tried to locate her, Gene Reynolds was successful.
Gene and his girlfriend located Stella Hawkins; Adolph’s daughter and visited with her on many occasions spanning a time period of 3 years. It was learned by Gene of another adventure that Adolph sought – the lost Pegleg mine in California.
It was during this quest that Adolph Ruth broke his hip and almost died in the Borrego desert. He did find the mine and fell in a ravine on his way back to civilization. He lay in the sun for three days before rescuers found his broken body. They even had to remove a door from an awaiting train so as not to take him off the gurney he had been carried out of the desert upon. After some time and the insertion of a metal plate in his hip at a San Diego hospital, Adolph left to return to Washington.
It wasn’t long before he left for Arizona to search for the Lost Dutchman Mine. It has been reported that he knew the location of that mine as well, but unfortunately, we will never know if he found it.
One of the maps he allegedly had on his person were later to become one on the more famous maps written about and printed in several books.
Another author, John Ramses, located the geological clues to the map long proported to be the Dutchman map and placed the location of the clues in an area of Red Mountain by present day Fort McDowell on the highway to Payson from Mesa. Ramses claims the location to be that of the “Sombrero Mine,” another mine of the Peralta family. His book “Quest for Peralta Gold” is available at several local businesses.
Desert USA magazine published a tantalizing story from an anonymous writer that professed to have found the Lost Pegleg mine back in the 50s. The unknown writer even sent the magazine a few desert varnish covered nuggets as proof. The writer went on to say how he found the mine, quite by accident, and never filed a claim on it but rather, flew to Alaska, filed a mining claim up there and would sell the California gold over a period of years involving several trips.
Gene Reynolds also found the mine several years ago as well. He obtained a few coarse nuggets and is planning to return himself and invite a prospecting club. He wrote a manuscript on the travels of himself and his girlfriend while searching for the history of Adolph Ruth and this unknown portion of his life.
Sadly, Mr. Reynolds sent his information to a local writer who chose to never acknowledged Gene’s work and told others that the work was donated by an anonymous writer, or that the individual went crazy, or worse yet, was dead.
Mr. Reynolds discovered a recent book written by Thomas Glover “The Lost Dutchman Mine.” In Mr. Glover’s book, information only known to Mr. Reynolds and the local writer was found. The book also displayed a map that was credited to Mr. Reynolds, which was not the case. Mr. Reynolds’s work was compromised and used without his knowledge. (Mr. Glover will correct the information in his second printing and give proper credit to Mr. Reynolds as the local writer improperly gave him the information.) In Mr. Glover’s book, the map was reproduced with an erroneous rock column. See Pegleg … page 11

Pegleg … from page 1

Only to the local writer knew this was wrong.

The map had been purposely altered and the readerships mislead into believing it was Gene Reynolds’s work. Only Gene and the local author knew of the columns, which by the way, was a seed planted to check out the local author’s integrity and had nothing to do with the map in Mr. Glover’s book.
Mr. Reynolds does have a one-of-a-kind original Ruth map given to him by Ruth’s daughter. It is not shown in his manuscript nor has it ever been published. Only time will tell what Mr. Reynolds’s intends to do with it – if anything.

For a copy of Mr. Reynolds’s manuscript on CD format, send $20 plus $5 for shipping and handling to:
Borrego 13,
P.O. Box 13
Pendergrass, GA. 30567.

The CD is well worth the price and will give you insight to an aspect on Mr. Ruth that is correct and factual.
Writer of Borrego 13
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Glenn Magill

Post by Gene Reynolds »

A few of you have asked me if I was close enough to Glenn to know wether or not I felt that he found the correct mine? (or the Dutchman)

My answer is simple. We didn't talk very much about the Arizona trips of his. However, we talked enough - so that I could draw a conclusion. My answer is simple and and to the point = No -I felt he found a mine - but not either the Dutchman or the one Ruth went after. We did have some mild talks and he ended up finally agreeing with me - that he was not in the right area at all. At one time I was sure I knew where Ruth wanted to go - and I believe I am still in the right area - but never having been in the Superstitions itself - and the 25 years that have passed - I am no longer sure.

All Glenn had was three (3) maps. That is not enough to pinpoint the mine itself. I have always felt that Ruth had a fourth map - a locator map. He also got a great deal of information out of the Peralta Book. Adolph had made notations alone the edges (in pencil) on nearly every page in the book that I saw. I also feel he had another way of communication with someone still alive at that time that new where the mine was. Wether it was by telephone or the mails - your guess is as good as mine. Remember - I found a map in the Peralta Book, along with a letter. The map does not pertain to Borrego. The Peraltas had many mines that they took ore from - therefore , this map doesn't have to belong to the Dutchman - it could be from any of the mines they worked. The next question should be - then why was it given the Ruth if it didn't pertain the either California or Arizona? That would be a fair question = it has no positive answer, however, I feel that it should pertain to the Superstitions because of ruling out California - a known and found mine. I hope I am not confusing you - but I am going by process of elimination and what makes sense to me.

In conclusion. Glenn led me to believe they had found some gold in the pit they cleaned out - he also led me to believe that there wasn't enough of it to buy a free newspaper! John Lee (one of Glenns other partners) also verified it.

To my knowledge - no one has found the mine yet or at least the one Ruth went out there for. I have also been asked - Do I think Ruth found it ? Yes - I do. I think he new exactly where to look. He knew all the time where he was going. His problem was - that he was getting old and was somewhat disabled. I don't think he would have been able to climb to it though. Any more than that I don't think I should go into.

The rest you will have to second guess on your own. I hope I have answered your questions without confusing you more. I am now in the process of runing a trace on John Lee - he is somewhere close to me here in GA. He always loved Key West. For now my friends, Take care,

Gene Reynolds
Writer of Borrego 13
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

How Close Is Close?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Gene,

I believe you are right about that fourth map. Glenn Magill was all over part of the Stone Maps. If he had the fourth map, or the Stone Maps, he could have gone right down to one of the mines. He was that close, and he was not the only one.

Respectfully,

Joe
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

A Good Place to Start

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Joe -

You seem to be one of the more active people here. I have a start for you in finding Eleanor Clark. I think you already know the past address of the Ruth home in Washington, DC - so lets go from there. I have already done what I am going to tell you (so it works) but have no interest in following it up. Go to the following address that I am pasteing here and put in the Ruth address of old. You will find who it was sold to. Then you can trace backwards as to who sold it to them. My guess is it was Eleanor Clark.

https://www.taxpayerservicecenter.com/R ... Assessment

If you have trouble with it - email me and I will give it to you again.

Gene Reynolds
Borrego 13
Writer of Borrego 13
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Post by Gene Reynolds »

--
Last edited by Gene Reynolds on Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writer of Borrego 13
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Gene,
We're all sorry to see you go and will miss you. If I'm not out of line, may I ask why you have to unplug the computer after April 31? If you're moving from Georgia, couldn't you rejoin us from wherever you're going?
Either way, Godspeed to you. And thank you for the great book.
- Wiz
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Post by GK_STAR »

Hello Gene,
I also hate to see events take place that alter a persons life and wish you the best for you and yours. I am also interested in getting a copy of your Borrego 13 CD........If you have one left let me know and I'll (and I mean it) put the check in the mail. Is the Borrego 13
P.O. Box 13
Pendergrass, Ga. 30567 address still the one to send the check to?

Thanks,
Greg
But hey.....Thats just Me....I could be wrong
Gene Reynolds
Part Timer

Answers

Post by Gene Reynolds »

Hi Wiz and GK_STAR

In answer to your questions - Yes , you still have time to get the CD's . The PO Box is good for months yet.

My plans are not clear at the moment but I will send out the CD's to those that want them and the deadline for that will be around the 15th of May.
There are perhaps 20 left. There will be no more made = ever.

Thanks again for being such a great group.......I have enjoyed it so much.

My best to you all............

Sincerely,

Gene Reynolds
Borrego 13
Last edited by Gene Reynolds on Tue May 03, 2005 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Writer of Borrego 13