Hogg Canyon

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Fritzski
Greenhorn

Hogg Canyon

Post by Fritzski »

Does anybody know how Hogg Canyon got its name or any interesting history regarding it? I was just up there a few days ago and would like to do a writeup on HikeArizona.com. I will be happy to give proper credits to anyone who can help.

BTW Didn't find any gold, but plenty of cool glyphs which happened to be the object of my search.

Thanks.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Hog Canyon

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Fritzski,

Welcome to the LDM Forum.

I have read your reports on HikeArizona.com and you do a great job.

The man who would probably know the answer to your question is Tom Kollenborn. It's also possible that Greg Davis would have the answer.

There are a good many game trails in Hog Canyon and I imagine there have been a few hogs seen there. Most canyons that are named after animals, are simply because someone saw or killed that animal there.
In some cases, it is because of a formation that looks like the animal.

It is possible that Indians gave that canyon its name. My guess is that the source is long forgotten.

Tom Kollenborn is the man for this information and some of the interesting history of Hog Canyon.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Fritzski
Greenhorn

Post by Fritzski »

Thanks Joe. You guys are always a wealth of information.

As I suspected, not much history when it comes to Hog Canyon. It's proximity combined with this very anonimity was actually what piqued my curiosity.

The only references to the canyon I could find were in Dr. Glover's first book on pages 300-304. I'll give some brief thoughts on his content in my upcoming writeup.

Thanks guys.