Pigs in the Mountains

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Peter3
Part Timer

Pigs in the Mountains

Post by Peter3 »

Howdy,

Took a little hike into the Mountains this past weekend. An uneventful trip except for a rattler up on Bluff Springs Mtn. Nice to know I can still throw a strike when I need to. That sucker got a 1/2 dozen fastballs before he decided to give up the trail. Not to worry tho, brother Raven came by later
and cancelled out that bad sign.

As I was passing thru a popular camping area, I was appalled at the amount of trash laying about. Log Cabin syrup bottles, spam cans, buttery herb noodle boxes, discarded water bottles, ripped garbage bags......the godam place looked like Brooklyn.

I like to think the campers there bagged the garbage and some animals got into it. Dont know why they wouldnt just burn it tho... So folks, if you have trash, burn it, bury it or pack it out. I hate to see those mountains
treated like NY. You folks dont know the beauty you have here unless you come from someplace else.....take care of it.

P
azdave35
Part Timer

trash

Post by azdave35 »

thats what happens when illegal aliens go camping....they just leave their trash laying where they drop it
Peter3
Part Timer

Post by Peter3 »

Maybe so, but I dont think any illegal aliens have been up thataways for a long, long time.......
bill711
Expert

pigs in

Post by bill711 »

Pete; first off look for anything that might have their name and address on it. So their ass can be prosecuted all too he hell and gone if possible. then burn and bury the junk. Burning the cans will make them rust sooner and go back to the earth. Bill :cry: :cry: :cry:
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

You won't find any name-and-address stuff in the trash out there. That only shows up in household trash (when was the last time you took your mail camping to open it?).
Burn the trash, yes. Bury it, no. The critters will still get it, and when all is said and done, it's still garbage. Like Bill said, burn it to dessicate the cans, etc as much as possible, then stomp it flat and pack it out.

While we're on the subject: some folks like to bury their T.P. after doing their business. Bad idea. Put it in a trash bag and pack it out. Your poop is valid as part of the ecosystem, but your T.P. isn't.

There will always be assholes that will leave their crap laying around. The rest of us just have to be that much better and clean up after them. Can't speak for the rest of you, but the Superstitions are well worth it to me.

And then there's always the hope of meeting up with the shitheads in the process of leaving their trash.

Assholes. Shitheads. Do these descriptions piss off anyone reading this? Well, stop leaving your @!#$ trash out in the mountains and I'll stop describing you that way.

Oh, P.S. to Bill: Just try getting the authorities to prosecute someone for leaving their trash sometime, and see how far you get. I've seen trash piles full of name-and-address stuff out in the desert, and seen the evidence turned over to the proper authorities. They do nothing.
bill711
Expert

pigs in the sup,s

Post by bill711 »

Wiz; We had the throwing out trash problem for year,s. We passed anti-litering laws and my cousin john philpot was elected sheriff and the anti-liter laws went into effect. My cousin had it well publisized that the laws would be enforced. When they find liter thrown out they go thru it looking for the names and addresses. They find them and they take them to a judge and he will fill out a warrant on the spot. The warrant is served as soon as can be done and someone is going to jail with a very big fine. This was done in the toughest county in oklahoma. Tolit paper should break up and disindagrate after a good hard rain along with the poop. bill
Peter3
Part Timer

Post by Peter3 »

My my, Mr Wiz....

I didnt think my garbage post would set you off. I agree with most of what you said, but I aint packing TP anywheres. That stays buried. I have never seen it dug up near any latrine I have used and strewn about anyway.

Who wants to hear a nice ANT story?

P
bill711
Expert

pigs in the sup,s

Post by bill711 »

pete3; Why don,t you try alittle levity? and see what happens? bill :roll:
bill711
Expert

pigs in the sup,s

Post by bill711 »

pete; Now that you have moved to the west; you need to get a herd of horses and quite the dang walking. Walking just wears you out and gives you a tired back and aching feet after a time. It also wears the knee and hip joints out.... Bill 8) 8) 8)
Peter3
Part Timer

Post by Peter3 »

Bill

Actually, my post to Wiz was humorous....you just have to realize I have a very dead pan sense of humor.

You are quite right about walking. While my legs are fine, my dam feets still hurt two days later. Yesterday I was still beat. Today I am better though. Serves me right for making these epic journeys in the summertime. Once the cooler weather rolls around things wont be so bad.

P
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Horses?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

Forget the horses. A good mule is much better for the Supes.

WOW! All of a sudden we have: Moved and locked all over the place. What do you suppose has stirred up the management so? Is nap-time over? :lol:

Respectfully,

Joe
bill711
Expert

pigs in the sup,s

Post by bill711 »

I don,t know joe, I have been trying to get ded,s head clear on the other channal. I,m trying to give pete3 give tips on hiking. You are right a good mule is better for mountains than a horse unless the horse is raised in the mountains. BUT you want a mule that,s not been mistreated. Bill 8O
lbj
Part Timer

Post by lbj »

azdave
its a well known fact that log cabin and spam is the haute cuisine of the redneck set. cant blame the illegals for that one. better check joes cubboard for the missing goodies.
azdave35
Part Timer

watch it

Post by azdave35 »

lol.,...better watch it...most of us in here are rednecks :lol:
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Peter3 wrote:My my, Mr Wiz....

I didnt think my garbage post would set you off.
Well, you hit one of my hot buttons. @!#$ jerks that leave garbage in the mountains!
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

lbj wrote:azdave
its a well known fact that log cabin and spam is the haute cuisine of the redneck set. cant blame the illegals for that one. better check joes cubboard for the missing goodies.
SPAM!!! Ecch!! I can't believe anyone actually eats that stuff. But it's handy in bear country - open a can at night and leave it next to someone's tent who you don't like. Like maybe the guy who leaves the garbage.
Peter3
Part Timer

Post by Peter3 »

Speaking of Spam. Why would someone lug something heavy like that into the mountains when some freeze dried meal,trail mix, and jerky is so much lighter?

Bill, you made good sense (which is unusual for you) on hiking.

Joe, I dont know why they keep moving your posts around. I guess they are trying to keep this forum on "topic".

Wiz, I will make sure I keep the garbage picked up around my place in case you are ever in the vicinity, wouldnt want to make nuts.

AZDave, do they have rednecks (my neck was red after after this past weekend from the sun..does that count?) in AZ? I havent met a single Dutch Hunter I would consider a redneck thus far.

P
azdave35
Part Timer

rednecks

Post by azdave35 »

lol...if you havent met any redneck dutch hunters you havent been huniting very long...i've been at it over 20 yrs and most of them i know are rednecks........if you dont know the definition of a redneck you should listen to jeff foxworthy :lol:
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Moooving Right Along

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

I will try to keep my future posts "on topic". Some of these threads do seem to wander a bit.

Your own talent for remaining focused on the LDM theme is something I am trying to emulate. :lol:

Bill,

I met an Indian one night, just below Parker Pass, who was riding a mule.
I could hear them coming for quuite a distance. There was a great deal of cursing, and what sounded like someone hitting a watermelon. I started whistling so they would know I was there. As I stepped around the brush and into view, the man and his mule were on a little ridge in front of me. Full moon so they were easy to see. The man had on a western hat with pigtails hanging down both sides of his head. He was holding up, what looked like a tomahawk that he was using to hit the mule on the back of it's head. :? Maybe it was a camp axe. :lol:
I said: "I don't know, but it seems to me, that you could do a lot better by getting off that mule and leading him." He said: "I have been riding mules all of my life, and I know how to move them." :roll:

I doubt he thought he was mistreating the mule, but I must admit that the animal moved past me at a smart clip. Image kind of stays with me. :(

Respectfully,

Joe
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Once up on a time in the west (true story), there were these two Dutch Hunters who went deep in the mountains. They horse-packed in. The panyards were dropped and the wrangler turned around and headed back. Upon unpacking one of them realized that he had left most of his food behind. These two had packed the mountains for years and had a simple system. Each brought enough for his stay and when in camp in the mountains they piled all the food together and made up the week’s menu. A simple system askewed by some, but one that had worked very well for years. Now they were in for a long week, and one man was short about half his food. Well, the menu was set none the less and they ate well enough. One of the items the one chap had managed to bring in was his Spam. Now, for years he had eaten his Spam in the mountains – he really sang its delights on many an occasion. His partner remained unconvinced, the smell of Spam frying over an open fire was one he could do without.

Well, now that the one was short on food he wanted to try and do his part and so one evening he offered a contribution, a totally unsolicited contribution. It was fried Spam. Now his partner knew this was a matter of honor. After pulling a pure greenhorn screw-up of leaving half his food behind in the trunk of his car he wanted to contribute his part. So the deep philosophical question arose: How to recognize his partner’s contribution? How to deal with this matter of honor and yet avoid the Spam? For even after a day of climbing around the mountains the smell still recoiled one. So here his partner had a plate of fried Spam and when the back of the Spam-perpetrator was turned he deftly slid the Spam striking a bull’s eye. The Spam landed right in the middle of a small bush well concealed in the flickering firelight. Now to bed and in the mourning it will be gone – rats, javalina, whatever will have disposed of the evidence.

In the mourning it was still there. Nothing had touched it. Nothing had approached it, including ants. Every morning our intrepid camper ate by that bush hiding his crime and every morning he expected it to be gone. It never was. After a week nothing had touched the Spam. No rodent nibbled, no ants attacked it, no flies were ever seen on it, no fly eggs were laid. Slowly it sort of shriveled and dried over the week almost as if it were defying the weather too.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

That pretty much says it all.
lbj
Part Timer

Man arrested for 1974 Spam-related homicide

Post by lbj »

just a little addendum from CNN:

BALTIMORE (AP) -- A man wanted for the killing of a civilian police employee in a dispute over a stolen can of Spam has been arrested, nearly 30 years after the shooting.

Michael Hughes, 58, was arrested in Boston last weekend for allegedly stabbing a man he thought was gay.

Full story at:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/09/09/cold.c ... /index.htm
bill711
Expert

pigs in the sup,s

Post by bill711 »

Joe; you made my case; that,s how you have to treat them AFTER they have been ruined. Don,t ever over work a mule; he will bock and ever after he will bock for the least reason, like he needs to scratch his ass or whatever. If he,s mistreated he will learn to bock, then you have to club him to get him to do anything. Set fire to his ass to get him to go. etcetra Bill :lol: :lol: :lol:
bill711
Expert

pigs in the sup,s

Post by bill711 »

Dr glover; They knew spam was too salty for consumpion. Bill :wink:
Peter3
Part Timer

Post by Peter3 »

You know, my oldest son once did a Spam presentation in school, singing its merits. He got an A, but I dont recollect him eating much of it. All this spam talk has my mouth watering....