Coffee Flat Mountain

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Wiz
Expert

Coffee Flat Mountain

Post by Wiz »

Dr. G makes a reference in his book, vol. 1 (p206) to a story Abe Reid told about a guy named Robles who accidentally spotted Waltz climbing Coffee Flat Mtn via a north-south canyon that empties into Upper La Barge Box. You all know the canyon he's talking about.

While I personally don't think the LDM is in that area, that canyon has intrigued me for some time and is on my hit list for (hopefully) this coming season. It does look good from the brush-choked-north-trending-canyon perspective, and there IS that anecdote about Robles. I understand Chuck Crawford frequents this area too.

Have any of you guys checked this canyon out? I'm curious as to what you found, if anything.
azdave35
Part Timer

big gold at coffee flat

Post by azdave35 »

about 15 years ago i went into the coffee flat area with a mexican ...he was looking for gold that his grand dad knew about...back in the 30's he found some quartz float in the canyon that was shot through with gold...and the quartz was pretty big chunks about the size of a human head that wern't rounded so they hadnt traveled far....might be worth looking into
P
Part Timer

Post by P »

Bob Ward called Coffee Flat Mtn "Pankins Mountain"...after the fellow who received info in Alaska from a certain fellow with a clubbed-foot.

Earnest Pankin thought this mountain was the oxbow refered to by the saloon swamper of Two Soldiers fame. So....maybe the north/south canyon bears looking into.

P
azdave35
Part Timer

canyon

Post by azdave35 »

what is the name of the canyon that runs north and south by coffee flat?
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

You mean the one in the middle of Upper La Barge Box? I don't know that it actually has a name, at least not an official one.