Civil War Maps of Superstitons and Goldfield Mtns.

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
rochha
Part Timer

Civil War Maps of Superstitons and Goldfield Mtns.

Post by rochha »

Hey everybody,

Anyone know where I can find civil war maps of these area's?

Thanks a bunch.............

Rochha
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Rocha,

Just thinking out loud here, but "Civil War" maps of those areas might be hard to come by as neither the Union nor Confederate forces had much of a presence in the area from 1861-1865. In fact the entire Territory of Arizona was pretty much vacated by Anglos except for military columns and the settlement of Tucson during that time frame. The Apache problem was quite severe during the war years.

I think the earliest military maps might be from the time that Camp McDowell and Picket Post was established...1866 (maybe a bit later for Picket Post) or so. It would make sense for maps around that date or perhaps a year or so later to be in existence.

P
rochha
Part Timer

Maps

Post by rochha »

Peter,

Thanks for your input, any idea where I could find those maps that you mentioned?

I wasn't sure if there were such civil war maps, but I knew someone from this forum would know.

Thanks again,

Rochha
Roger
Part Timer

Military Maps of Arizona

Post by Roger »

Rochha, I have found one map that shows all the Arizona military forts and their connecting trails as of the early 1880's plus a state map of that era showing all the military forts and camps, mining communities, stage stations, riverboat landings and their connecting trails plus the railroads. This is later than the time you are asking about, but informative of Arizona and many of the place names of the Dutchman's time.

Send me your email in a private message and I will scan them and send them to you if you're interested.

Roger
rochha
Part Timer

Thanks

Post by rochha »

Roger,

Thanks, check your pm message!

Rochha
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Rochha,

There are a series of military maps, 11 in all, that cover central Arizona dating from circa 1865 to probably 1870 (?). Many of these are just a few lines on a blank sheet of paper – they were maps that were started but never finished. Several, however, are complete and in good detail. Two show the area south of the Salt River, including trails through the Superstitions. As far as Connie or I could tell these maps were started as a survey for the establishment of Fort McDowell. Later as they were moved from collection to collection (from who knows where to the War College to storage to the National Archives) the collection was added to and now includes at least two maps that I am pretty sure were never part of the original set.

They are stored at the College Park facility in MD. There is a reference number in my book to this collection, but do not use it if you call them. I used it as it was all I had for a reference to a single map that I tracked through the War College till I located it at the College Park facility. When I called them someone there was most helpful and used the info I had to track the map I was looking for and they were the ones that told me about there being a set of 11 maps. If I wanted to try to track these maps again I would call the College Park facility (1-866-272-6272) on a business day (they are open on Sat., but only a skeleton crew) and ask for some help in tracking a set of military maps of early Arizona, that these maps comprise information on Ft. McDowell, the Verde River, Ft. Whipple and so forth. They are referenced in the College Park card catalogue and with any luck someone from there should be able to help you. You can then order copies by mail. I would also consider contacting them by email through their web site.

Hope this helps, and if you do decide to get these maps please let me know. I heard through the grapevine that some people had been to College Park using the reference number in my book and could not locate them. Did not mean to lead anyone astray and so I would like to know how you fared not using that reference number, then I can change things in the future.
rochha
Part Timer

Maps

Post by rochha »

Dr. Glover,

Thank you for the information on the maps, I will let you know how things turned out for I am going to contact them.

I am curious, are you writing another book now? Is it more of the Lost Dutchman? I really enjoyed reading your book on the Dutchamn legend.

Thanks again for the information,

Rochha
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Maps

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Rochha,

I doubt there are any "Civil War" (Arizona) maps, made because of the conflict. There were a number of mapmakers who had done a pretty good job in that area already. It is likely that the maps that were used were already in existance. My guess would be that if either side made any maps, it would be the Union. It is an interesting question, and the answers you have received point to "era" maps, as opposed to "Civil War" specific maps. The people who have replied would know, although there are a few who have not responded yet, at least on the Forum.

Good hunting.

Respectfully,

Joe
rochha
Part Timer

Maps

Post by rochha »

Joe,

I did have a few people PM me about some maps and have received a set from someone allready and have another set coming as well.

I am also following up on the information Dr. Glover has provided.

I believe in everything that I receive it should suit my needs very well!

Rochha