Bill Barkley

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Peter
Expert

Bill Barkley

Post by Peter »

Anyone have any biographical type info on Bill Barkley (Tex Barkley's son)? I am looking for DOB/DOD, anecdotal accounts etc. I have some info here about him, mainly about his LDM searches, but am looking to flesh out the man himself.

Thanks

P
Ron
Part Timer

Bill Barkley

Post by Ron »

Peter,

I guess this is my day to be on the site for awhile. Can't add a whole lot here on the man, other than I did meet him a few times. The first time was when I first came to the mountains. I drove up to the ranch house at First Water and met him there. He was friendly and informative about the trails. The next time I met him was when I was with Crazy Jake, and Jake had him living with him. Of course Jake was sucking any information from at this time a old very sick man. He would talk to me , but was very secretive about history in the Superstition. I do think that he and his father , Tex destroyed more historical signs relating to what they thought was of significance to the Dutchman than anyone else. I would of loved to of met his father who was of course dead by then , but it was good to of met Bill. For years around Reavis in the 60's and maybe early 70's Tex's horse Champ roamed there , and every once in awhile I would run into him. I guess Bill died at Jakes.