oxbow

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

oxbow

Post by count »

the referal to a location or mtn that resembled an oxbow could have some importance in possibly the location of the dutchman or another mine does anyone have any feed on this?
count
Expert

Post by count »

One of the clues that has always interested me is the one pertaining to the "Swampers Oxbow" as told by one Earnest Pankin to Jim Bark and Sims Ely. <br>Without boring you all to death with a retelling of the tale I will just go over the highlights. <br> <br>Pankin befriended a man in Alaska who said he knew the location of a rich mine in Arizona. Several clues to the mines whereabouts were given to Pankin, including a rough map and a description of the mountain on which the mine was located. The mountain was described as <br>being "shaped like an oxbow that had cliffs ascending to the top sitting one behind the other like a giant staircase". Other clues related to the Oxbow mountain included a zig-zag trail that lead up to a flat top. The mine was loacted nearby, in some of the roughest terrain imaginable. <br> <br>In addition, Pankins friend pointed out a mountian in Alaska that he said looked like the mountain in Arizona. The mountain could be seen from the area of McKinley Crossing. Some have said this might be Mt McKinley itself <br>and I must admit that some photos of McKinley I have seen do bear an uncanny resemblance to a certain mountain in Arizona. <br> <br>After Pankin related this story to Bark and Ely, they surmised that the person from Alaska was none other than a saloon swamper who allegedly killed two soldiers who had found the mine, probably in the spring of 1884. Once citizens of Pinal suspected that the swamper was the killer of the soldiers, he apparently fled Arizona and was never seen in the state again. <br> <br>Did fate send Pankin back to Arizona with clues from someone who apparently was actually at the mine? I think there is a good chance that there is some truth to this particular story. <br> <br>Its interesting to note tho that Pankin spent most of his time in the vicinity of Coffee Flat Mountain and a bit further east and south. One of the mountians there was unoffically named Pankins Mountain becasue he spent so much time looking in that area. Pankins information said that the mine was about 15 miles from the Silver King Mine in a northwesterly direction. Bark and Ely pooh-poohed this idea and said he would have to look 5 miles further west....