Why is this book so expensive?

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
Cubfan64
Expert

Why is this book so expensive?

Post by Cubfan64 »

I've been watching for a good deal on "Al Sieber - Chief of Scouts" by Dan Thrapp, but it's ridiculously expensive usually selling for $100 - $300+.

The publisher is/was the University of Oklahoma Press with (I believe) an first edition printing in 1964 and a reprint in 1995.

All I can think of is that the volume of printings must have been really really low and obviously the demand fairly high in comparison.

If anyone runs across a good copy for $50 or less and you happen to think of it, grab it for me and I'll reimburse you via Paypal, personal check or MO.

Thanks.

Paul
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Re: Why is this book so expensive?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

I don't think you will find a copy for under $100. I just saw a soft cover for that price.

If you don't find one before the Rendezvous, I will bring mine and you can borrow it and mail it back when you're through. It's kind of unique as it's a signed first edition hard copy inscribed to Constance Altshuler. What makes it even better, is that she signed it in the inscription.

Good luck and take care,

Joe
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Joe, I'm getting one to read via interlibrary loan so I shouldn't have to borrow yours. I appreciate the offer, but I'd always be really worried that something would happen to it.

I'm going to keep watching Ebay and might check some used bookstores down in Boston just on the off chance that someone sells a copy without really knowing what it's worth.

Weird that it's so expensive.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

Here are the most expensive copies on Abe Books:

1. Stock Image Al Sieber: Chief of Scouts (ISBN: 0806127708 / 0-8061-2770-8)
Thrapp, Dan L.
Bookseller: Crashing Rocks Books
(Punta Gorda, FL, U.S.A.)

Quantity Available: 1
Book Description: Univ of Oklahoma Pr. PAPERBACK. Book Condition: Good. 0806127708 Used; Good condition. Has normal wear such as scuffs and previous owner's name, but is free of major defects. Bookseller Inventory # 0806127708

Price: US$ 383.75
Convert Currency
(Little Elm, TX, U.S.A.

Book Description: Univ of Oklahoma Pr 1995-10, 1995. Paperback. Book Condition: Very Good. 0806127708. Bookseller Inventory # 653943

Price: US$ 330.58

(Hendersonville, NC, U.S.A.)

Book Description: Univ of Oklahoma Pr, 1995. Paperback. Book Condition: Near Fine. Very good, minor foxing on page edges. No writing in the book - not even an owners name. Full refund if not satisfied. Bookseller Inventory # 011012

Price: US$ 219.68

I have no idea why they are priced so high. There seem to be plenty of them out there.

".....but I'd always be really worried that something would happen to it."

And that, my friend is why I would loan it to you. It's true the book is one of a kind, and not replaceable at any price, but I know you have the same reverence for books that I do. Not many people I would trust that book to......maybe Roy, but he has those four-legged book eaters at home. :wink:

I will bring it along to the Rendezvous anyway.

Take care,

Joe
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Thanks Joe - bring it along if you think of it, but don't make it a huge priority. If I knew I could always be in complete control of it, I wouldn't have a problem borrowing it, but there are always those times where things can happen that would be out of anyone's control and I'd feel awful if something like that happened.

It's funny, they even had a difficult time finding one in the state of NH for interlibrary loan - the only library that would do that was the actual State Library in Concord. At 400+ pages, I'll have to read fast once it comes in!

I just got done reading Tom Horn's autobiography, so naturally I'm curious to read about Al Sieber as well. I found Tom Horn's story really interesting and an easy read, but considering it was basically in his own words, it's hard to know how much is really the honest to goodness truth. I found myself generally liking the guy, but when I read about his direct involvement in getting Geronimo to surrender to Miles I found myself scratching my head because prior to this I had read Gatewood's story where HE seemed to be the one instrumental in obtaining the surrender.

Could be that Horn was as full of himself as some other folks have said and maybe everything he wrote needs to be taken with that grain of salt *shrug*.

Anyways - thanks again for the offer and I'm still going to keep my eyes open - every now and again I find a really good deal on different books that I like to keep an eye out for - it's sorta fun to find a bargain :).

Paul
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

You may want to take a look at Jay Monaghan's "Tom Horn: Last of the Bad Men". I would agree that Horn may have had a personal bias when writing his book. He was a notorious braggart and self promoter. 8O

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

This was from a really long time ago, but thought I would check to see if you still wanted a copy.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... yadded=all

They have one for $45.

Take care,

Joe
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Thanks Joe - Shortly after asking about it, I had the local library obtain one on loan so I could read it and the last Rendezvous Don Peterson (Pippinwhitepaws) attended he gave me a copy. I see it on the bookshelf and remember him fondly - he was a character, but I think his heart was always in the right place.

Over the last couple years I've gotten much more into reading and studying Apache history - primarily the Chiricahua. Connie and I are trying to plan a trip this year to cover some of the historical areas that I've read so much about including Fort Bowie and Apache Pass, the Dragoon Mountains (specifically the west side where O.O. Howard, Sladen and Jeffords met with Cochise) and the Chiricahua Mountains. Other places I would like to see are the Camp Grant area, Aravaipa Creek/Canyon (the site of the Camp Grant massacre), and a bunch of other places. It'll probably be more of a "tourist" trip this time just to see the places and put a picture to the stories - I'd like to spend some time wandering around in the Dragoons at another time.

Thanks again for thinking of me though.

Paul