Tex Barkley

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Tex Barkley

Post by count »

Much has been said about the relation of Tex and Gassler on this site, I think to the point of giving alot of credence to what Gassler may of known or found. Maybe we should look into Tex abit better. I did not of course know Tex, but I did know Bill Barkley. I conversed with him quite alot, while he was living with Crazy Jake at the end of Bill's life. What I do know is that Tex and Bill were Dutchman Mine hunters. They we're responsible for destroying more evidence and clues in the mountain than anyone else. They never wanted anyone else to find the mine, and they had the opportunity to have a pretty free hand in the mountain. Tex lived a somewhat scared man and was not a part of the other ranchers plan as I elude to in my book. He lived on the outside of what their master plan was. Remember the plot to kill Ruth was hatched at his ranch, but he had no involvement whatsoever in the plot. Thus, Tex became reclusive in some ways and very secretive about what he knew. Some of this comes from Bill and is backed up by Ted Cox who also knew both of them. What I mean by all this is I don't think Tex told Gassler anything much , other than sending him in the wrong direction.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as Tex Barkley's demeanor after the Ruth episode. I have heard him variously described as "frightened", "melancholy", and "haunted". <br> <br>While I am still not on the same page with you as far as the whole "rancher conspiracy" goes, you do bring an interesting connection, and one that has not really been explored (to my knowledge). The entire Brownie Holmes/Bill Barkley/Crazy Jake relationship has always intrigued me, both because of the area they seemed to be interested in and the elements the three brought to the table. <br> <br>As far as the Gassler/Tex Barkley link goes, I agree that Tex did not tell Walt everything he knew (yet, on the other hand he might have..perhaps for a reason I dont think I will go into here). I do not, however, agree that Tex "sent" Walt up to Peters Mesa on a wild goose chase. Gassler spent several years researching the LDM before he came to the mountains and knew what he was looking for. Whatever landmarks he found placed the mine in his search area, regardless of what Tex told him. <br> <br>Of course, Walt spent many years up there (so have others including the Petrasches, Holmes, Roy Bradford, Al Reser, Slim Kite, etc...). None found the mine and actually widened their search to the entire range after going over that particular area.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Peter, <br>My understanding is that Gassler spent considerable time on Bluff Springs Mountain, as well. I'm not so sure he was focused on Peters Mesa until after he had connected with Barkley. <br> <br>Ron, <br>Very thought-provoking posting. I never knew about Bill Barkley living with Crazy Jake. How did that come about? I know Jake pumped Bill for information by getting him drunk, but I don't know much else (what a shock!)
count
Expert

Post by count »

Hiker, <br> <br>I know Gassler mentioned an incident in his notes about slipping on some shale on Bluff Springs Mtn. Other than this, I havent come across much information about his search- if any- up on old flat top. <br> <br> <br>P
count
Expert

Post by count »

Hiker, <br> <br> When Bill Barkley was close to the end , Jake went and moved him to his trailer, naturally to get any information that he could. Jake had a habit of retrieving the old timers at their end . Another one was Chuck Aylor. I was not there when Bill died , but as I remember , he died sitting on Jake's toilet.So he was there till the very end.