Kollenborn's Chronicles

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
senor x2
Greenhorn

Kollenborn's Chronicles

Post by senor x2 »

So, has everyone been reading Tom Kollenborn's column in the AJ newspaper? (ajnews.com) In this week's column he gives his opinion on the Ruth murder conspiracy, and Ted Cox.

Do any of the on-line readers of the ajnews know how to find archived versions of this column? I only noticed it recently. The ajnews website has an archives link to back issues, but it doesn't include the column. The search function doesn't seem to find old columns either.
S.C.
Part Timer

Cox and Ruth

Post by S.C. »

Thanks for bringing that Kollenborn article up. I checked it out. Obvious Tom has seen some of the discussion here. In particular about Ted Cox.

After reading Tom's article I have to say maybe he (Tom) is not so wrong about Mr. Cox. We must take all things with a grain of salt. Mr. Cox included.

I disgree - respectfully - with Mr. Kollenborn about Ruth's death being from natural causes. I am of the "he was murdered school of thought."
Ron
Part Timer

Ruth

Post by Ron »

I guess I should comment here.I do know Ted's wife , son, and brother. Ted may have had a quick tonque, but after interviewing his relatives to a very intense degree, and living with his manuscripts, I will say that the one thing Ted was not was a liar. I too believe Ruth was murdered. So who planned it and why. Anyone got a better answer than the people involved? I will also say he was not murdered for any map.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

I am not terribly sure if there was a murder conspriracy involved, but the forensic evidence (skull condition) alone points to some sort of foul play.
If not by a bullet, then just how did Ruths skull receive the wound that it did? Milt Rose speculated that it was the result of a javalina spearing the skull with its tusk ! (I kid you not).

Throw in where the body was found, the fact that Ruth was wearing his street shoes, rather than hiking boots, only had a liter or so of water with him, etc... and some things simply dont add up here.
nicoh
Greenhorn

Entrance/exit wounds

Post by nicoh »

From the pics I've seen of the skull and the location of the remains, and from the apparent majority subscribing to the murder theory, I too belong to the "foul play camp."
One thing I've been wondering, though: has anyone actually seen the skull from a different angle than the one shown in the popular pictures?
I know Glover mentioned that a physical anthropologist examined it and reported an entrance wound in one temple, in addition to the obviated exit wound.
BUT, I've never seen any other angles that might show the entrance wound.
Anyone seen? Better yet, anyone have any pictures clearly displaying any entrance wound? This would certainly add another nail in the coffin, at least in my eyes...
Danke,
nick
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

After re-reading my post and those of others here on this topic I wanted to clarify something. I did not want to imply I thought everything Ted Cox said was a tall tale. And I believe the man is far from being an outright liar. I know Ron knew the man and his family. I just think Tom Kollenborn might not have been too wrong in that Mr. Cox might have exaggerated a bit.

As said, I am of the "foul play school." As Peter indicated, things do not add up. Whether a conspiracy was involved, I cannot say. But, I think I lean more to a "heat of the moment" sort of thing. Was it specifically for a map... that is hard to say. I believe he had a map. But, whether that in itself was the cause of death or not is questionable. Its disappearance might have been an afterthought.

We probably all have our theories about what happened with Adolph Ruth. And we probably have all heard accounts of what could have happened. I have heard several that are indeed eye opening - but because accusing individuals of murder is a serious business, I will refrain from bringing them up here.
Ron
Part Timer

Kollenborn cronicles

Post by Ron »

Since Tom's article and re-reading the posts here, I feel compelled again to address certain issues. First, Tom states that the consensus of opinion was that Ruth died of natural causes. What consensus was he talking about? Was it Odd Halseth, the archeologist on the search team who sent Ruth's skull to Washington for examination by a DR. Hrdlicka, along with a letter stating that he had it examined by no less than three doctors and had also stated in his letter that many believed Ruth to of been murdered? Or was it by DR. Hrdlicka , a very famous anthropologist, who in his report stated he believed Ruth to of been shot? Or was it by Deputy Sheriff J.D. Adams, who was in on the search, that stated as to what he had seen , he did not feel Ruth's death was by criminal means, but the skull may have shown violence. Or was it by Erwin Ruth who believed his father was killed. Or was it by Ted Cox , of whom I have an eye witness statment that he was at the ranch when the murder was planned? Consensus, I think there was and is much consensus as to what occurred to Ruth. No he was not killed for any map ,as I've referred to in my book, There were other reasons that I eluded to. Therefore Tom, a conspiracy or plan must of occurred prior to Ruth's death. It is said that the remains of Ruth was examined by several other doctors inPhoenix , and they listed it as death by natural causes. How many were there? where are their reports ?And who were they? What the death of Adolph Ruth has helped to create is another mystery that is probaly the single most thing that has gained the Dutchman mine legend to the status it is.