Tex and Gertrude Barkley

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
novice
Expert

Tex and Gertrude Barkley

Post by novice »

I have a question about an entry in Helen Corbin's 2002 Book on Page 322. She relates that Walter Gassler talked to Tex Barkley's wife Gertrude who said that she had known Jacob Waltz when she was a little girl.

I do not have access to the "Unadultereted" Gassler Family Notes and I wanted to make sure that Walter's notes were the source of this information.

Also from the 1920 and 1930 census for Tex and Gertrude Barkley, it appears they were living in Mesa (1920 - 202 East First Street) (1930 – 226 East First Street) I had the impression that they always lived on the ranch south of the Superstitions when they were visited by Ruth, Gassler etc.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

"Ma Barkeley"

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Novice,

Welcome to the forum.

The passage from Helen Corbin's book, is a fair rendition of what is in the Walt Gassler manuscript. I have a copy of that manuscript through the kindness of a friend I have never met.

I have found few words written about Mrs. Barkley in most of the books I have read and, surprisingly, Dr. Glover had nothing to say in his books.
The best information on Mrs. Barkley and, suppososedly from her, is found in "The Killer Mountains" by Curt Gentry.

I would guess that the Mesa home was the "town" residence. The ranch was probably a bit harsh on a woman and a home in town would be a nice getaway for her. I believe Aurum will be able to tell you what color the carpet was in the house. 8O I am really looking forward to that reply.

I don't know if that was much help, but I can assure you that more information will follow.

Good luck.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aurum
Part Timer

Gertrude Barkley

Post by Aurum »

xx
Last edited by Aurum on Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

And The Carpet.....?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Aurum,

Thank you.

Once again, we have brought you the kindling and you have created the white man's fire. :lol:

I had never heard that Jimmy Anderson was Tex's brother-in-law. As soon as I read that Gertrude's maiden name was Anderson, a bell started ringing. It stopped a few words later. :)

I had hoped you would be around to respond to the "Novice" post. You have proved, once again, that history is infinitely more interesting than fiction.

I was a little disappointed that you forgot the color of the carpet. :lol:

Great post.

Respectfully,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
novice
Expert

Post by novice »

Thanks Joe and Aurum,

I am trying to verify whether Gertrude's story was even feasible.

I have looked at some family genealogy that has been posted on the internet for Gertrude's Family and it relates that John Logie Anderson and his family came to Gilbert AZ in about 1887/89 with the Fred Weekes family. The Anderson farm was on Gilbert Rd., Mesa, AZ.

It's not clear to me whether they came to the Mesa area immediately upon arrival since a son William was married in Globe, Gila, AZ in June of 1888. William also remained in the Mesa area and an excerpt from his obit said he had "lived in Mesa since he was 8 years since coming here from Quincy, North Dakota." William was born in January 1881 and died in 1946 in Mesa.

Aurum, your birth date of 1879 was a curve ball as the family genealogy has Gertrude being born July 31, 1886 in Quincy, North Dakota. But there was also a reference on the web site that another source had given her birth date as August 11, 1879. There appears to be some confusion here because the birth date of August 11, 1879 is also shown for Tex Barkley.

I did some more looking and found Gertrude in the Social Security Death Index. It gives her birth as July 31, 1886 and her death as July 1972.

I also revisited the census records and in 1930 Gertrude gave her age as 42 and in 1920 she was 33. It does appear to me that the 1886 date is probably correct.

Gertrude was the youngest of eight children to reach adulthood. The family genealogy gives the birth or her older brother "Jimmy" (4th child) as about 1877.

If the 1886 date is correct, it seems highly unlikely that Gertrude would remember ever seeing Jacob Waltz! (I guess it might have been a family story that she picked up on?)

Would Waltz have had any occasion to pass their farm between 1887 and 1890? Is Gilbert Road on the way to anywhere Waltz might have been traveling?

Aurum, I also found the entry about Jimmy Anderson interesting. I don't know the rest of the story yet but will continue to try to get up to speed.

A couple of additional questions.

In the William Edward's Massacre site story (Corbin Page 276) there is a reference to Brackett's Water (Weekes Wash). Could the Weekes Wash be related to the Fred Weekes who came with the Andersons to Arizona from North Dakota? Would the farms have been anywhere close?

Aurum, in regard to the letter you have with the return address of 3R Ranch. I thought the Barkley Ranch was called either Quarter or Half Circle. What is the meaning of the 3R?

I know this all seems trivial but we all start somewhere. It does help me to start getting some kind of handle on the characters, the geography and the story.

Thanks for your patience,

Novice
Aurum
Part Timer

Barkley.

Post by Aurum »

xx