Question for Ron

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Question for Ron

Post by count »

How come in my LDM reading thus far (about 6 or 8 books),I've never heard mention of Ted Cox among the myriad of characters out there? <br> <br>I believe you told me he had documented his searchings quite well. Once you've finished your excavation, would there be any chance of publishing those notes, memoires, etc? <br> <br>Thanks.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I have not heard of Ted Cox myself outside of Ron's context. However, that is no surprise as there are countless individuals tied to the LDM and the Superstitions. Most go un-noticed.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I have no way of knowing for sure who the Ted Cox was that Ron based his book on. But I remember an old Dutch hunter from the Globe area , Quentin T. Cox who did a lot of work in the eastern Superstitions in the late 50's early 60's. He had several partners from the Globe area and over in California. I recall one run in he had with the rancher Billy Martin over in the JF ranch country. He was a real life person and few today know of him and his searches. Possibly it is this man who Ron wrote about ?
count
Expert

Post by count »

Bingo! LDM is correct. Ted's whole name was Quentin Ted Cox.He is one and the same, who was involved in the 50 and 60,s, in the Superstitions. As far as I know , Kollenborn's book " A Ride Through Time" is one of the only books other than mine that mentions him. Many of the old timers ,like Don Shade ,knew him well. It is paradoxical that as much as Ted wrote and corresponded with some people , that he was not noticed more. I think the reason for that was partly that his information was so different from the " Barkleyology" ( that is what Shade used to call the accepted theories that swirl out there that lead everyone down the wrong paths).It was not accepted by most of us, and thus he became somewhat overlooked. Also of course he did not hunt in the west end and no attention was payed to him . I myself , when first seeing what he had to say thought he was crazy. It was not until certain things happened to me , that I lent an ear to what he said. After following his information and finding for the first time in my career, things I had never seen before ,did I launch all my efforts into his theories, which ended me up with the excavation we are about to do. Ted didn't try to be anonymous, but others wanted him to be, that lived and worked in the Superstitions. Although " Crooked Mountain" is classified as a fictional account, much is factual and cronicles some very important information about the mine. As for someday publishing the manuscripts after the dig. I honestly don't know at this time.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I had a feling Quentin was the man in question. I did not know him well but what little I did know was that he was very serious and dedicated to his search. There are two kinds of Dutch hunters. Those who are high profile and chose to become publicly known through articles, books, radio , TV, and other media. And there are those who have gone about their search quietly and without fanfare. Quentin was one of those men. He did not feel the need to publicize his searches, until he one day might find the mine. There are many like Quentin. The general public however has only the works of the notable authors to gain their knowledge from. No one has found the mine as of yet, so no one can "corner the market" on the truth. Their is a wealth of knowledge hidden in these old Dutch hunters notes, diaries and manuscripts. I can only hope that one day Ron will let some of Quentins information out for all of us to read and analyze.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I must have missed the reference to him in Kollenborn's book, but it was one I read prior to yours. <br> <br>Coincidentally, I am now just finishing Shade's book and was surprised at the number of references to the mine being over east by Iron Mtn./ W.Fork Pinto area. Also Storm's book which I finished prior also had some info indicating that area. <br> <br>What took you so long? ;)
count
Expert

Post by count »

Ted is referenced in Kollenborn's book in the chronology. I to had believed all that I read about the various information on the west side. It is a normal progression of things, when you first hunt the mine. Some never get out of the what I call trapped thinking. Cox was not only a dutch hunter but a geologist and historian. What finally sold me on his information is the history that he would indicate that happened in Arizona , even as far back when it was a territory.I followed alot of this ,not related to the mine, and found the truth in what he said.That is what grabbed my attention first. Also , being involved with the search for the Lost Adams Diggings, a sequence of events and research made me open my mind to thinking not from what was the norm , but what could be established as verifiable. I had shelfed the hunt for the Dutchman for a couple of years in the 80's and researched the Adam's. Another thing is that Mitchell's account of the Dutchman was different from most others , and his book I felt was in left field for awhile, but after reading Cox, I read Mitchell's account again , which directs you to the Iron Mountain area as did Cox's info. Then it was a natural progression to leave most of the " Barkleyology" behind me , and enter a new method of search. The one thing that hits you right away, is gold is where you find it- that's true, but if the right geological conditions are not present for the deposit of gold , then there will be no gold. The east side has the right conditions. I always felt that the mine would only be found by prospecting, not by the multitudes of clues and or descriptions of the mine. The Dutchman Mine is not where I or anybody wants it to be, it is where it is, and when it is found what ever clues will fit will surface. Until then ,as someone else said we're all dealing in just speculation, but of course, that is some of ther major fun. Now sprinkle that with some verifiable data and that is better, and that is what Ted Cox was able to pass to me. <br> LDM, some of the manuscript and information is still sensitive to the Cox family, and I must protect their wishes. Someday if that changes , and it will , I had thought of putting the documents in the hands of the Arizona State Musuem or the Superstition Museum. Some of his stuff is out there, but the greater portion is what was given to me by his widow. I'm obligated to her first.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I came across a letter from Quentin T. Cox at the Mining Museum in Phoenix. I had forgotten about it until this posting came up. It was written in the 50's, and he was complaining about certain individuals who kept killing prospectors and causing trouble. He said he had arranged to have a copy sent to various government agencies in case anything happened to him. What he was describing was the cartel you have in your book, Ron. Since the place I found the letter was one of the places it was to go in case of accident, I wonder if he met with foul play? <br> <br>Ron: What happened to you to make you change your mind about Barkleyology?
count
Expert

Post by count »

Hiker, <br> <br> I have stated most of my reasons just prior, but let me condense. Probaly the best way to put it is, because Barkleyology is not a science and Geology is. As for Ted Cox meeting with foul play, some things did happen , but Ted never was literally harmed , but his brother that was mysteriously killed , Ted took as a warning.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I see that in Probert's long bibliology of Dutchman books and articles, there are three by Quinton T. Cox. Two of them are from 1971, in Treasure World and Gold magazines. The other is in Treasure Hunter. <br> <br>Has anyone read these? If so, do they give any more insight or info on Ted Cox?
count
Expert

Post by count »

Hiker, <br> <br> I don't know what happened, but click on your question on the 23rd. for my post.
count
Expert

Post by count »

They are interesting to read . He has alot to say , but keeps the info reined in abit.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Hi Ron, <br>I'm not sure I asked my question right. You said "It was not until certain things happened to me , that I lent an ear to what he said". I was wondering what those things were. Were there certain events that caused you to change your mind, or was it a gradual shift? Did someone get in your face about things?
count
Expert

Post by count »

Hiker, <br> <br> It was more a gradual shift of my learning process. Noone ,as you put it got into my face.The things that I may have seen to convince me are bascically confidential.As Don Shade told me open your mind and accept new thoughts and purge alot of the old held on to ideas. I also refer you again to what I said before , Geology had an important part in the process.
count
Expert

Post by count »

OK. Not trying to pry, I just wasn't sure I was understanding you.