Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
BlackBeard
Greenhorn

Post by BlackBeard »

Hello!
Last edited by BlackBeard on Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Newspapers

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Dear Mr. Blackbeard,

I believe Greg Davis can tell us if such an article exists. Probably no need for anyone to dig thru the library. I would guess that he knows exactly what article you are talking about, and could locate it in two minutes. That assumes that Waltz actually wrote all of the information down and gave it to the reporter. Anything is possible.
Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
BlackBeard
Greenhorn

Post by BlackBeard »

Hello Joe!
Last edited by BlackBeard on Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

I agree... anything is possible. But, I am not aware of such an article exactly as described. But, Joe is correct in that Greg Davis might have the article if it exists.

However, the article mentioned could be the 1894 article written by PC Bicknell called "A Mythical Mine" that was in the Phoenix SATURDAY REVIEW dated 11/17/1894. This article was the forerunner of the famous SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE article that appeared in Jan. of 1895. Bicknell elaborated upon the 1894 article and included more details in the later San Francisco article. The 1895 article never appeared in an Arizona newspaper. However, it originally ran in San Francisco then was reprinted in other cities - Kansas City being one.

"A Mythical Mine" has been cited in other works such as Blair's book and Gentry's book. This could be what Blackbeard is describing. The text of the article is available in the SMHS booklet called "Early Newspaper Articles of the Superstition Mountains and the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine." It is available for purchase at the Superstition Mountain Museum bookstore/gift shop.

The "Mythical Mine" article written by Bicknell mentions several clues - most of which we are familiar. And Julia Thomas was reputed to have been the source.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Researchers

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

BlackBeard,

You say in your original statement"... Phoenix Newspaper article from that time that gives a word for word story right from the Dutchman's own map directions he left on his death bed in his letter / map. It was printed word for word at the time and is as accurate as you will ever find anywhere about his last writings and treasure map." (emphasis in bold by Joe)

I will venture a guess here, that "his letter / map" would be something that a few of the more serious researchers on this forum would have discovered years ago. Mr. Davis would probably have the original laying right next to Waltz's ."45-90 Sharpes rifle". :lol:

Not every story that makes it into the newspapers is true.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Well, let's not be dismissive too quickly.

Blackbeard makes a good point: if Bicknell's article is the one he is referring to, he's right in that it was written very close to Waltz's death, and the primary players were interviewed very early in the game. This may be as close to the unvarnished story as we're likely to see.

This takes us full circle back to Adolph Ruth and his "secret directions". "Oh,", we say, "that was just copied from Bicknell's article". True, but Ruth could have recognized it just as Blackbeard did, to be as close to a first-hand, at-the-scene account as was available. It's entirely possible that they were, indeed, "secret directions". This was not the first treasure he had looked for, and he hadn't just gotten off the boat.

Everyone knows about the article now, thanks to Greg Davis, but how many people were actually familiar with it back then? Ruth probably stumbled on it, thought it over, and decided he had hit pay dirt.

I think Blackbeard has highlighted this article and its background from a different angle, and it could be that it deserves more attention than it has been given.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Walts's Writings

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wiz,

I guess what I have a problem with is the characterization that it is Waltz's
"last writings and treasure map"

Now if it is claimed as the words of Julia Thomas and a map drawn by her, four years after Waltz's death, that would sound about right.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo