Alfred Lewis

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Knun
Part Timer

Alfred Lewis

Post by Knun »

Al Lewis discovered a old spanish mine shaft under a proped up boulder and him and his partners extracted $50,000 in gold (@ $35/oz.).
Artifacts he discovered were dated to the late 1700's and were Spanish.
Is anyone familar with his story?
rochha
Part Timer

Story

Post by rochha »

Knun,

I have not heard that one, I would be intersted to know where you heard it from and is there anymore to the story?

Rochha
Knun
Part Timer

Lewis

Post by Knun »

I must thank Peter for this one.

You can read more in SMJ #17. He refered us all to that edition (repeatedly) in another post.

Per the article it was discovered in the area of the present day Goldfield Repilica townsite. They followed the Spanish shaft and broke into one of the Mammoth shafts. He spent the rest of his life looking for Spanish artifacts throughout the area. It's well written and worthwhile.
rochha
Part Timer

Story

Post by rochha »

Knun,

Thanks for the info, how many of those smj journals are there? I know if you join some museum I think you get a subscription to it, is that also correct?

Thanks again,

Rochha
Knun
Part Timer

Rochha

Post by Knun »

Rochha,
Some of the people on this forum are contributors to the Superstition Mountain Journal and many are members of the Historical Society. Most have contributed to this forum extensively and (quite frankly) have made it what it is.
In my opinion a membership in the Superstition Mountain Historical Society is a must for all of us interested in this.
Many of the contributors you may be familar with: Dr. Thomas Glover, Greg Davis, Clay Worst, Kraig Roberts, Thomas Kollenborn, Milton Rose, and the list goes on (Haven't seen Joe's article yet....What's up with that Joe?).
You can purchase copies of the Journal from the Museum for $3.00 to $7.00 dollars. If you join it's much cheaper.
rochha
Part Timer

Post by rochha »

Knun,

Nope, I have not joined the ranks as of yet, seems that I should. Someone else posted me a link awhile back I think to their website saying that I should join as well. At the time I dont remember why I did not join. As a member do you recieve the journals as part of a subscription or are they only sold as a single journal?

Point taken! :D

Rochha
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

I've seen the story of Alfred Lewis and his mine somewhere else, too. I'm not near my books, but I think it was in the R. J. Allen book about the Superstitions.

Rochha: the annual SMHS journal (theoretically) comes with the membership. At this time, however, they're three years behind on the journals. I'm sure they'll catch up, but just so you know.
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Wiz,

You are correct. In Chapter 19 of THE STORY OF SUPERSTITION MOUNTAIN AND THE LOST DUTCHMAN GOLD MINE (Robert Joseph Allen, Pocket Books, 1971) the author states that "The man that finally discovered the Old Dutchman's gold was Alfred Strong Lewis, a mining engineer".....blah blah blah. He repeats some of the story that was told in the SMHS Journal #17 article.

To be honest, Allen's book isnt on my top 10 list of LDM titles. Very long on legend (some of which he mucks up royally) and short on fact.

P
rochha
Part Timer

Al Lewis

Post by rochha »

What ever became of this guy?

Rochha
Aurum
Part Timer

Alfred S. Lewis

Post by Aurum »

xx
Last edited by Aurum on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
rochha
Part Timer

Book

Post by rochha »

Aurum,

Excellent and informative post, do you happen to know the name of the book about Spanish mining in south america? Do you happen to have a picture of the underworld statue?

Rochha
Aurum
Part Timer

Al Lewis

Post by Aurum »

xx
Last edited by Aurum on Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
bill711
Expert

santos

Post by bill711 »

These little saints were used for good luck in the mines. They also had them for their farms and for fruitful harvest and the like you can still dig them up in the farms in mexico. They were used to provide a good fruitility for women too! They would make them with big breast and well hung with big bellies an big croutch. They were a poor man,s saint. Bill
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Bill711,

Err..........what exactly is "an big croutch" ?

P

(I am not quite sure I need to be asking this question....but what the hey....)
rochha
Part Timer

Big Croutch

Post by rochha »

I'm glad someone asked, I didn't want too!

Rochha
bill711
Expert

santos or gods

Post by bill711 »

I should have said the practice is a hold over from the time of the aztexs. they used these little clay deites to "I guess bless" the earth to give up a fertile bounty. They made a woman diety too. It had real big tits, belly and crouch lips that hung down to it,s knees. A real odd piece of work, until you understand what it was for. A very powerful piece. Too much power for little boys like you peter, umm too muuch. Bill :lol: :lol:
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Bill711,

Many thanks for the clarification. Doesnt sound like your "powerful piece" is my type anyway, this little boy is not really into large women.

Power is a strange thing. One never knows where it might lead you....

P
bill711
Expert

santos

Post by bill711 »

Aint it so!!! It was suppoesed to help the women, live stock, and anything they grew and used to reproduce. The santos for women was powerful just one look and you knew it had to be powerful medicine. They were pecular looking things. The aztex,s made some of them out of gold and threw them in the river or whatever for good fortunes. I was suprised that you boys hadn,t seen them?? We have some of them over at the spiro mounds in Ok. about 10 miles south of me here. I don,t know really who started the practice, if anyone knows I would be supprised. Bill :lol:
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Underworld

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

The "Lords of Death" or the "Underworld" go back much farther than the Aztecs. Anyone interested can read about these "gods" in "A Forest Of Kings: The Untold Story of The Ancient Maya" by, Linda Schele and David Freidel.
If this artifact was from Peru it could depect a god for a civilization that is over 4,000 years old.

Respectfully,

Joe
bill711
Expert

santos

Post by bill711 »

Joe; You are right!! I knew they went back as far as we knew civ. as we know it in america,s anc. times. They had deities for man and woman firtility. Deity,s for sowing the crops and for harvesting the crops. Along hold over habit for a people. Joe I wonder what old Peter would think of the day of the dead in mexico, or the peinenties doing their thing abeating on them selves?? wish you well Bill
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

>>I wonder what old Peter would think of the day of the dead in mexico, or the peinenties doing their thing abeating on them selves?? <<

Peter:

a) Likes social gatherings and horror movies so most likely would enjoy the fiesta and decor associated with the Dia de las Muertos.

b) Dislikes beating himself with make-beleive flagellums and would wonder why the Penetentes dont attach little pieces of lead to the end of their scourges to make them authentic.

P
bill711
Expert

penienaties

Post by bill711 »

I really don,t know that much about them Peter, I thought that conflagalation was real. But then I,ve just seen on tv and read about it. Have I been lied to? Joe What do you know about it? Peter, Do you eat them little cactus buttons when you go to arizonaic? Joe what do you know about the penianaties? Bill
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Bill711,

What the Penetentes do is real enough, my remark was aimed at historical accuracy. The Romans attached little pieces of lead to the ends of their scouring whips ...called the flagellum in Latin. I was just wondering why the modern day Penetentes did not go for the historical accuracy...and the pain.

When I visit AZ I am partial to chicken fried steak, BBQ beef, pulled pork and Mexican food. I have also been known to subsist on trail mix and jerky for protracted periods of time while visiting. Havent acquired a taste for cactus buttons as of yet....but one never knows.

P
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Nniihi

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill and Peter,

You both know way more concerning this practice than I do.

I do know of one person who has popped-up in our conversations that practiced this nasty little habit. David Lavender wrote on page 65 of his book THE SOUTHWEST, "In addition, Kino was hard on himself. He mortified his flesh. He wore coarse clothing, added evil-tasting herbs to his ill-cooked food, slept on a sheepskin or sweaty saddle blankets spread on the ground, and sometimes rose in the middle of the night to flagellate himself with whips."

On the day of his death, Father Kino refused to be moved into a bed, and died on the floor. Hard people, hard times.

Respectfully,

Joe
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

There is a scene in the film BLACK ROBE (which concerns French Jesuits attempting to convert the Hurons of the Great Lakes in the early 1700s)
in which the Jesuit priest hero of the film flagellates himself with some tree branches after having succumbed to his human side after getting himself all worked up after viewing a comely Huron maiden. Must have been tough being a Jesuit back then......

P