Camp Fire GOLD! It pays to be an Old Boy Scout!

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Old Boy Scout
Greenhorn

Camp Fire GOLD! It pays to be an Old Boy Scout!

Post by Old Boy Scout »

Well I just came back from a nice week of camping in the mountains.
And I do mean nice! My son and I set up camp near the Salt River at an existing camp site. That night it was cold so we gathered as much wood so we could find and sat by the fire. OK.....that night my son saw a very shiny gold reflection in the camp fire rock ring........after inspecting it we found 7 poorly rapped and almost deteriated, fire burned cotton bundles (2.5x1.5 FT).
We found GOLD!!!! Some nugets most still stuck in its matrix....but mostly gold! Now I don't know if this is the lost treasure but I am ever so glad we were never looking for it! We probably would have never found it! If this is not the lost treasure where is it supose to be? I think I have been bit by the gold bug :D and I want to find more! :wink:
Last edited by Old Boy Scout on Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knun
Part Timer

Quite a Story

Post by Knun »

That's quite a story! What kind of matrix is the gold in? And describe the cotton a little bit more. Did you weigh it?
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Congratulations!

Save a chunk or two for testing, and compare notes with Ron or Dr. Glover.
Old Boy Scout
Greenhorn

Post by Old Boy Scout »

Hematite reddish-brown matrix
lazarus
Expert

Wow!

Post by lazarus »

That's quite impressive, but I'm confused...
Your son saw a shiny object in the fire ring which turned out to be a nugget...this then led you to the discovery of the seven cotton bags of ore? These bags were quite large...30"x 18" and filled with rocks bearing gold, they must have been quite heavy. Were they in the fire ring? Were they partially buried nearby?
How long did it take you to remove the bags? Did you and your son find them in the dark with flashlights? I'm really not interested in the location...but I'd sure love to hear more of the details!
Lazarus.
lazarus
Expert

Still confused...

Post by lazarus »

Cotton bundles?
The ore was bundled up? Were the bundles rolled up, or tied up like a bag? Have any of you guys ever heard any stories about Gold ore being bundled up in cotton? Pardon the puns, but if Old Boy Scout's story "pans out", we will all have to refer to him as Mr. Scout!
Lazarus
Old Boy Scout
Greenhorn

Post by Old Boy Scout »

Just Joking!
:lol:
I had a dream the other night that I did find it! It was a wet one!!!!!
I do believe the treasure will be found in this manner though! I hear it has already been found several times and lost.
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Old B.S.,

Usually it takes a while to figure out who is full of it and who isn't on this site. Thanks for fessing up and saving everyone the trouble. :lol:
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Now Wiz,

Did you really think Old BS (you are the KING of figuring out excellent...and fitting... anagrams, BTW) wasnt pulling our legs a mite? You are, however, a gentleman for giving the loons the benefit of the doubt.

Lovely weather here in NY. Woke up to 2 degrees and -15 if you factor the wind in. Getting warmer tho...4 degrees now.

P
Knun
Part Timer

Too Bad

Post by Knun »

Peter,
Today it was 75. This evening the Supes were on fire and calling my name. Right now there are a zillion stars doing the same with a cool breeeze from the west. I just have to go look around tomorrow! Any place you would recommend? Better yet, forget your numbers and such.....when can you get here??
Peter
Expert

Post by Peter »

Knun

Heatwave now...9F. I might be out your way on a regular basis sooner or later. Always did like the heat.....
Old Boy Scout
Greenhorn

Post by Old Boy Scout »

Why would anyone tell if they found the gold? Anyone care to entertain this question? :roll:
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Good question...
Most of the guys who visit this site on a regular basis take thier research very seriously. Thier efforts should not be reguarded lightly. This site isn't so much about Gold, as it is an exchange of ideas. The Gold is a pipe dream at the end of the rainbow, but the search is quite real. My hat is off to you guys!
TheDude
Greenhorn

Post by TheDude »

You say "the gold is a pipe dream at the end of a rainbow?" I guess you must be talking about a "Crack Pipe" or "Peote Pipe" either way.....the treasure I think is not in the state park! It is probably gone! Long gone!
I live in Oklahoma and we have a very similar legend. I have personal found were it was suppose to be but it was never there. But hey! we do have a Big Foot in southern OK!!!!! that would be worth searching for! :lol:
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

It pays to be an old boy scout

Post by TC ASKEY »

Dude,
State Park ? I can tell that you have never been in the Superstitions before junior.
Terry
TheDude
Greenhorn

Post by TheDude »

:cry: Ever seen the movie Ghost Ship? If so you can understand where I am going with the question. 8O