The Golden Dream

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

The Golden Dream

Post by Thomas Glover »

This year I had the luxury of spending two plus months in Arizona. This gave me time to attend part of the Rendezvous and talk with people. Afterwards I was laid low by a rather nasty virus for a good part of the time; however, I did manage to visit with some friends and talk to people in the book business. I was asked repeatedly about my book, Part I the Golden Dream. Now back in Oregon and settled in I thought that it might be a good idea to collect one’s thoughts about those questions and answer them in a general venue.

Why is the book so expensive on-line right now?
I have no idea. I can assure you that it has nothing to do with me. I get nothing from those sales other than the standard royalty. From what I gathered some people have held onto the book and now that it is out of print it seems they see a supply-and-demand situation that they can use to their advantage.

Will there be a third printing?
I don’t know. The deciding factor will be the economics of doing another printing. I talked with people in Arizona who gave me solid information which will help decide whether or not to go ahead with a third printing. What makes it different this time around is that the ground has shifted a bit in terms of procedures and costs from the last printing. I am now trying to get more data necessary to come to a decision. Right now it is 50-50 at best.

Are there any books available at the old price?
I was given a small box of books when in Arizona and a few went to the Superstition Mountain Museum. I believe they may be selling those at the old price.

Will there be any other books available?
I have 10 to 12 books I will be selling (the remainder of the box). I will be selling those as follows: First four (4) books at $29.50 plus Express Mail charges ($3.50), second four (4) books at $39.50 shipped Express Mail at no additional charge, last two (2) or four (4) books at $49.50 shipped Express Mail at no additional charge.

Will there be a follow-up book?
Maybe, but it would only be as a collectors item. I think that would be fun (from my perspective). Then I want to move on to other fields for any further book(s).

I want to thank everyone for the warm reception the book has received over the years. But, remember that much of what is in the book came from Absent Friends and others. They are the ones who deserve much of the credit from Nancy and friends in the Archives, to Scott at the Sharlott Hall, to Jack Carlson, Greg, Al Reser, Bob Crandall, Don Shade, Monte Edwards, John Spangler, Nortcutt (Mike) Ely, Hugh d’Autromont, Ron Feldman, Marty (George Holmes’ stepdaughter), Howard McCarthy and others whom I believe wish to remain private.

I merely tried to preserve some of their work least it and/or they be forgotten and some the history of the mountains while trying to work out bits and pieces of how some parts of the legend and its history might fit together. So many helped and to them should go much of any credit. God Bless them all.

Thomas Glover
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

i didnt know the book was in demand and worth a few bob ..hmm if i can find my copy( if wife didnt chuck it out) ill put it on ebay....selling price guide?
Don update your email address