Charlebois story

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

Charlebois story

Post by zentull »

One of the stories I believe has not been discussed at length in the forum is the tale of Phil Labarge hunting in Needle canyon and an old Apache telling him afterwards he saw him standing on a hill on "ninety million dollars". While the trip took them over Bluff springs and Black Top Mesa. it is interesting that the Apache did say he saw them "on a nearby hill" and not on a mountain. I suppose this is one of the covered mines in the Needle canyon area. Anyone know anything else on the story? I believe it was Mart Charlebois who told this story in the 30's.
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

Post by Thomas Glover »

Zentull,

The source I know for this story comes from Storm’s book Thunder God’s Gold. On pages 40 and 41 it reads:

Strangely, the story was verified many years previously in the 1870s by one of the older Indians of the tribe who was covertly keeping an eye upon things with the advent of roving cattlemen who occasionally worked their herds through the mountains. For in order to do this effectively the Apache thought it expedient to become friendly with Phil La Barge and his partner [sic. Joseph] La Barge ….

One day La Barge went hunting with the boy, climbed Bluff Springs Mountain, the Peralta-mapped, black-topped mountain [i.e., Black Top Mesa] and many of the [sic.] lessor hills in between and around. Always together, the two of them covered much ground. And then a few days later when the hunt had been all but forgotten the old warrior appeared in camp again.

Casually he questioned La Barge, asked him if he hadn’t been out hunting upon that particular day. When La Barge answered that he had, the Apache said that he had seen him with the boy at the time on top of a nearby hill, adding as casually but with solemn amusement: “Me see you stand on ninety million dollars.”

The source given by Storm is that Norman Barton, who was a member of Storm's second expedition into the Superstitions, obtained the story from Martin Charlebois, the son of Joseph Charlebois. Barton then wrote reported the story to Storm in a letter. Martin died in 1948 at the age of 69.

The incident supposedly happened in the 1870s. If it did then Martin would have learned of it from either his father or La Barge; however, if Storm’s dates are off and the incident happened in the early 1890s when Martin would have been 14 then Martin could have experienced it. It will take someone else to sort out the timeline.

Thomas
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

The story always appeals to me that it is short and seems honest. There is no elaboration or gimmick fixed to it as is the usual case. Very straight forward and almost forgotten in the general mix of things. La Barge and Charlebois are often thought of as merely placenames and forgotten as 2 of the early Dutch Hunters.

A general time frame of the incident would certainly make things interesting. Does anyone have an overall time frame for the years these 2 worked the range?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Info....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Zen,

Dr. Glover has provide some good information. I would guess that Greg Davis and Matthew (Kraig) Roberts would be able to provide whatever information that is available, not covered by Thomas's post.

Since they no longer post here, you will need to find another way to ask them. Whatever effort is required, I would bet it would be worth it.

Joe