Weapon Choices

This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please.

Moderator: Jesse J. Feldman

Newjerseyman
Greenhorn

Weapon Choices

Post by Newjerseyman »

I'm coming out to arizona this winter to do some exploring in the Suprstitions. What is the best gun for me to carry in the mountains?
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Gun Choice

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

NJM,

Welcome to the Forum.

That's a loaded question. :)

The first choice in carrying a weapon, is one that you are familiar with and can shoot accurately.

A few other things to consider are weight/ease of carry, right tool for the job and, in some cases, price.

Without knowing you or how any of the above things apply, I will give you my two choices. A lightweight .38 Special loaded with a couple of rounds of snakeshot. I carry a double action only, no hammer, Smith and Wesson and a Para-Ordnance LDA .45 Both are equipped with "Laser-Grips" for low light situations.

The .38 is plenty, if you are not concerned about the two-legged varments, which have been know to inhabit the Superstitions.

Many people go into the mountains unarmed, I am told. 8O

It's a great experience making that first trip into history. Have a good time, but take care.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Newjerseyman
Greenhorn

Post by Newjerseyman »

Thanx. What about something with more shots like an m-16 or ak-47? I'm told these are legal in Arizona. Don't they have more shooting range too?
murphy
Part Timer

weapon choices

Post by murphy »

Newjerseyman
Are you planning a day hike or an extended back packing expedition? You will have to consider the weight of what you are caryying and the weight of the ammo. Much better to carry enough water. A side arm on your hip is much easier carried and probably will never be used. There are a lot of hikers in the mountains in the spring and fall months so safety is also a concern.
Good luck
murphy
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Firepower

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

NJM,

As Murphy has pointed out, weight is a consideration. Over the years, the weight I have carried has slowly gone down. I used to carry an eighty-pound pack, an M-1 Garand, a SAA Colt .45 and various other accouterments hanging here and there. Juno had his own pack for dog food. :roll:

You could, with the proper permits, go in looking like Rambo in "First Blood". I remember his shadow preceeding him into an alley, and it was the meanest, scariest looking shadow you will ever see. So if you want.... an M-70 is fun. :lol:

If you are going into the mountains alone, and plan on getting off the established trails, some kind of protection is prudent. It is not a good idea to hike those mountains alone......ever.

Really good hiking boots, a sturdy long sleeved shirt and water are three of the most important items you will require. I have never, in forty-seven years, needed more protection than my .38 Special, and that was for a rattlesnake that wanted to camp with us. :)

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
bill711
Expert

weapon,s choice

Post by bill711 »

njm; Please remember to get your water at the water holes and then back off to camp! Other people and animales also need to get thru to WATER too! They can,t do so if you are sitting on top of the hole. It,s RUDE to enter other peoples camp fire with out an INVITATION too. Most people are friendly but some people are not. YOU can tell by the way you are received. :twisted: bill 8) P.S. Carry one pistole for cougers, a compass to tell which way you are going and a very loud whistle in case you get hurt and need to sgnal for help and a good knife.
Newjerseyman
Greenhorn

Weapon Choices

Post by Newjerseyman »

I thought that the Superstitions were public land and as such nobody privately owns the land. I called the Forest Service and they told me that. I think it would be more conveniant to camp near water instead of having to walk all over to go back and forth from water. If nobody owns the land I can go anywhere. If somebody puts their camp on the middle of a path then I can't go their? If I'm armed in the mountains and it's public land I'll go anywhere I want-this is America!
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Another World

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

NJM,

This is not New Jersey. I have a lot of family (Ribaudo) there, and feel like I can say that. :lol:

There are times out here, when you can't go anywhere you want. Private citizens will not be stopping you, but the government will.

Being polite and considerate is something we put high value on in our wilderness areas. Keeping your camp away from a "water hole" would fit in with being considerate. On the other hand, if you are talking about a creek or stream that is running, it's no big deal.

You may consider being "armed" a ticket to do as you please, but many of the people who live out here have lived with firearms all of their lives, and the best way for you to survive without getting your "ticket" punched, is to avoid any confrontations with strangers. Even "Rocky" eventually ran into "Clubber Lang" and, when guns are involved, you often don't live to get that rematch. 8O

If someone is camped where you would like to be, the polite thing to do would be to find another place.

Have a great time, and good luck.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I would agree with Joe in a handgun is sufficient for a trip. The more you display and how you conduct yourself merits the attention you receive. Theres nothing worse than creating paranoia or unwanted interest when you are off by yourself in the middle of nowhere. Chances are whoever takes an interest would be more subtle than you realize. I have noticed a huge difference in peoples composure when I am carrying a handgun with snakeshot to when hunting and carrying a 30 30. I hope some of what I have read is a joke. Try Ben Avery if you want to blow off a few hundred rounds. Its cheap and safe for everyone involved, including yourself.
Scoots
Greenhorn

Post by Scoots »

Camping away from a waterhole is a matter of common courtesy, veterans respect that - be a veteran.

The forest service and the BLM have regulations on camping away from a waterhole, lake, stream, etc. In my neck of the woods it is usually a minimum of 150' (some areas have a 300' designation).
There's another loose screw in the nut factory!
Newjerseyman
Greenhorn

Weapons Choices/waterhole

Post by Newjerseyman »

Well, I went into the mountains, camped at the waterhole below Bluff Springs, and guess what? Nothing happened. Nobody called me rude. No animals died from thirst. Nothing.
lazarus
Expert

Weapon of Choice

Post by lazarus »

NJM,
I hope you weren't disappointed with your hike into the mountain. There is much to see, so there is always a good reason to return.

Joe hit the nail on the head with his advise. Many hikers, including myself, have spent weeks at a time within the interior of the mountain without a weapon. In all my experience, the only threat I have ever encountered was wearing boots.

Should you choose to carry a firearm along on future visits, I suggest a lightweight handgun loaded with snake-shot. Most of the wildlife has grown familiar with man's habits, and will not disturb you under normal conditions.

But then, I suspect you have figured that out for yourself.

Laz
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Threat Level

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Laz,

"In all my experience, the only threat I have ever encountered was wearing boots."

There are few critters that won't look for a way to avoid trouble. Unfortunately, there are some people who will go out of there way to find it.

There were a number of members here, who were doing that on a regular basis. Now that they have achieved their purpose, they have lost interest and no longer post.

NJM was just one head of another hydra. I doubt very much if he ever carried such hardware into the Superstitions. He was not trying to impress us with his macho image, but start another argument.

Your comment is why I always carry a sidearm. Snakeshot in only one chamber. The rest are loaded with man stoppers for when talk is just not enough and mr. snake rears up on two legs.

Some folks don't really know how to listen, so a visual argument is sometimes required to get their attention. Unless they are insane, or high on something, that visual is, almost always, more than sufficient to stop the talk and start the "boots" walking......away. :)

There will always be animals who will climb up out of their holes in the ground, and claw their way into a hangman's noose. 8O

It's the nature of the beast.

Our thanks for your Christmas wishes.

Carolyn and I hope you Gloria have a wonderful and prosperous New Year. Perhaps you can stop in for a visit on your next trip to Laughlin.

Take care,

Joe
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Joe,
thanks for the invitation.
Gloria and I may be headed in that direction soon. Perhaps we'll get together some afternoon.

As for your assessment of NJM, I suspect you may be correct. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and I would do so again. When things get stupid, I simply go away for awhile. Problem solved.

Laz
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Laz,

Hope you got some pudding and had a good time. Heard things went well and everyone had a good time.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Chocolate?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Zen,

Pudding......?

Joe
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Zen,
all went as well as can be expected, I supose.
All hope all is well you you, as well.

Laz
lazarus
Expert

Post by lazarus »

Zen,
all went as well as can be expected, I suppose.
All hope all is well you you, as well.

Laz
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Joe,

It is a Solid Rock kinda thing.............
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Rock and Pudding?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Zen,

I see.......Some kind of secret, like a handshake or code? It's never a good idea to mix rock and pudding. 8O The folks I know who did, ended up with pudding for brains. :(

Take care,

Joe