Chuck Kenworthy Info Based Monument Trail

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
Mike McChesney
Expert

Chuck Kenworthy Info Based Monument Trail

Post by Mike McChesney »

Okay,

I keep seeing people posting on different forums about how Chuck Kenworthy did this or that for this or that motive. They didn't know the man, and know very little about him period. Some people say that he made up all the symbols in his books. I am here to say this is not true (or if it is, I have come across some very frightening coincidences). I have posted this trail of clues before, but in this case, I think they deserve their own thread.

So here we go. I started exploring this area several years ago based on a well known history of Spanish presence for hundreds of years. At the mouth of a particular canyon, there was a large boulder. Once I had sat back and stared at it until I started getting hungry (and a little cross-eyed), a theory as to its' meaning started coming to me.

Look carefully, and see the arrow pointing up to where there is the top half of a heart (the bottom is hidden). After a lot of contemplation (this is where I was shooting from the hip based on what I knew about symbols and monuments), I came to believe that the monument indicated to follow the arrow along the trail (it pointed the way), and it would eventually lead to hidden gold. Let me explain why I thought this: Heart=Gold. The bottom point of a heart typically indicates the spot to dig. Since the dig pointer was hidden, I assumed it meant that the place to dig for gold was hidden.

............... or it could mean that somewhere up the canyon lived a tribe of large breasted women! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

About a mile up the canyon (high up on one side) was a very evident number "7". The number "7" on a trail (according to Kenworthy) indicated a protected campsite. Around the back of the rock formation was a very well protected site. Digging at the site produced a good bit of old charcoal.

Further up the trail, high on a ridge, was what is called a "balanced pointer". It is a man placed rock, about seven feet on the side, four feet across the back, and a couple of feet thick. It points to a saddle in the ridge which leads to the only year round water source in the area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Another mile or so up the canyon (again high on a ridge) is a very beautiful, and well made bird monument.

Look carefully, and you will see that this bird is made from four separate rocks (none from that particular outcropping); The body, neck, counterbalance for the head, and the head with beak.

According to Kenworthy, a bird monument directs the hunter to go in the direction the beak is pointing, but keep an eye out as a change of direction will be coming up. In this case, the beak is guiding us in the same direction we are already traveling.

A ways further up the canyon, off to one side, was a box canyon. In the middle of this box canyon there is an outcropping of very dark lava rock. In the middle of this outcropping, a chunk of the dark rock was removed, and in it's place a large piece of white bull quartz was inserted. This is what Kenworthy called an "eye catcher". It is well named. Mother Nature did not place that rock there.

When I got up close to the "eye catcher" I noticed what looked like a place to stand in front of the rock.

Standing in that spot, I began searching the sides of the canyon walls and ridgelines. Eventually, I saw a large rockfall of uniform gray boulders. In the middle of this rockfall, I saw another large chunk of white bull quartz. Again, not the work of mother nature.

Also, notice how many of the rocks in this "natural" rockfall seem to be nicely fitted together.

Now, there are some more monuments, and no, I won't show whether there was or was not anything at the end of the trail. Don't PM me for any details. I tell you now that I won't reply. This exercise was strictly to show that Chuck A. Kenworthy did not make up the monuments, symbols, and signs he included in his books. I will say that he did not include ALL the monuments, symbols, and signs he knew about, but the ones he did include were based on factual evidence.

Best - Mike
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Re: Chuck Kenworthy Info Based Monument Trail

Post by Oroblanco »

Great photos Mike thank you for sharing this. I do have a question that is relevant (aren't you proud of me that I could do that? :roll: :mrgreen: ) but is there any marker or marking that specifically can be shown to be Spanish in origins, beyond dispute? Thank you in advance, hope that you followed that set of markers out to find what they lead (or led, formerly) to.
Roy
"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Roy,

They are indeed Spanish. I know this for several reasons.

The main reason I know they are Spanish in origin is the entire reason for this post. Many of the monuments in this series were straight out of Chuck Kenworthy's Book "Spanish Monuments and Trailmarkers to Treasure in the United States ."

There are a couple of other reasons that make it absolutely Spanish in origin, but I am not disclosing any other info regarding this trail.

Mike
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Post by Oroblanco »

Mike - thank you for the explanation, of course you are certain they are all Spanish, but all of these could be of another origin, could they not? What I would like to see is something that is undeniably Spanish in origin, like this: <Hmm having a problem reducing the size of this, sorry about that!>

<from El Morro NM>

Stacked and carved stone can be done by any number of different people, with very different meanings. Is there something on or along this particular set of markers that can be pointed to as absolutely, indisputably Spanish or Mexican in origin and can NOT have been made by any other people? Thank you again and I hope you have a very pleasant day,
Roy ~ Oroblanco
"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca
holyground
Greenhorn

Post by holyground »

I know this post is old, but I'm new here and I never pass up an opportunity to give my 2 cents worth for free, even if my voice is nothing but an echo. I believe that Chuck Kenworthy was the best thing to happen to treasure hunting in America. Having, hunted for 30 years, I saw these monuments in many places but I never could tell what they were exactly. After reading Kenworthy, I began putting the pieces together more and more. I now understand more than I am willing to reveal at this time. Kenworthy is inaccurate in only a few places, in my humble opinion, however, he is spot on in so many more that any inaccuracies are easily adjusted for, on the treasure hunter's part. Once I got the drift of what Kenworthy was telling us, I made a special trip back to the areas with the most monuments. From there, it all began to unfold.

No, anyone that tries to underate Kenworthy only reveals their own lack of knowledge. I bought all of his books and then, I threw out all of my other so-called treasure hunting books.