Deleted.....

This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please.

Moderator: Jesse J. Feldman

WyattWestwood
Part Timer

Deleted.....

Post by WyattWestwood »

Deleted......
Last edited by WyattWestwood on Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Bad Idea

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

While I liked Wyatt's ideas in the other thread, I really like the no editing concept here. I would vote that you leave out the edit tab. I am not sure there is a "God given" right to edit on the Feldman site.

You are doing an excellent job, which was long overdue, IMHO.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

EDIT RIGHTS

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

WYATT, and all Members

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. L.D.G.M. member's editing rights were not discussed when setting this up. I did not know about it until now. They will be added shortly. Tonight, tomorrow? This is an obvious decision. This moderated forum is designed to have all freedoms, except.... Most suggestions will be read, but the idea of this M. forum is simplicity. No need to think about special rules. For now, that is the moderators' job. If anything becomes evidently wrong like what Wyatt addressed it will be changed. If editing rights become a problem for an unforseen reason, It will be modified. Remember, the moderators can delete the whole post.

Jesse
Last edited by Jesse J. Feldman on Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rochha
Part Timer

editing

Post by rochha »

Jesse,

I like the idea of no editing, I am tired of seeing " No news is good news". :wink:

Just my two cents worth!

Rochha
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Don't Be Too Hasty

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

"We all want the right to edit our own posts."

It would appear that this in not a true statement. You might want to look at some of the wholesale removal of posts, that have been done in the past. Rochha is correct on this point.

Many moderated forums don't allow editing after a certain number of replies. This is a good idea, because if someone edits their post after four or five people have responded, it can definitely destroy the flow and continuity of the thread.

It would be nice if you would consider a reply limit for deleating or changing a post. If material mistakes have been made, a new post correcting the mistakes would seem to be a good way to go.

You will find that to be the norm for many forums.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

Joe,

You might be right.

We will add editing rights as if a non moderated forum, for now. Time will tell. This M. forum can always adapt to new problems within a day or so.

Jesse
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Answer

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

That seems like a good answer to me. I would think small edits are not the problem. Keeping the possibility of restraints of the practice on a back burner may be enough to curb the inclinations to remove major parts of a post.

The multiple identities problem seems more serious to me. Having one person with five or ten identities can move a discussion into a single, biased direction. The weight of all those (one person) replies creates
a false sense of "correctness".

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Loke
Greenhorn

No Editing Rights

Post by Loke »

Personally, I would like to see absolutely _no_ editing rights. With the current 'climate' in here (which I despair of), to allow editing would make it far too easy to go back and change a single word which could change the meaning of the whole sentence! If an opinion was entered wrongly, one can always come back with another posting which would negate/explain the mistake in the first.

I am not trying to ram this down anybody's throat - it is but my own personal opinion.

Loke
Jan
Part Timer

Editing rights

Post by Jan »

Does my opinion count?

I think that only the moderators should have editing/delete rights once the submit button is pressed.

This would result in posters being a lot more carefull with the words they choose and the statements they make before they punch the submit button.

Several people I know that post on forums compose their posts offline, and do their editing before they log on to the website and then just copy and paste it into the text window when they log on.

If someone submits a post that they become uncomfortable with at a later date because of unforseen circumstances, thay can just PM one of the Feldmans and request that the post be deleted. (Assuming that they haven't already deleted it)

I think no editing capabilities by posters would result in more carefully composed messages.

Jan
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Wrong!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Wyatt........,

If you knew the Feldman's at all, you would know that they are no one's tool.

While I may have had something to do with the creation of their moderated forum, it is not in the way you are thinking. My part in this, was helping in the creation of an atmosphere in the LDM Forum which fostered insane posts from people.

It appears, rather than stick with a boat that was sinking fast from the overload of multiple identities and vile comments, they chose to create a platform to rescue the concept.

While Ron is originally from New York, he and his family are Westerner's through and through. They are a dying breed of individualists who shoot straight and ride hard. When I say "shoot straight", I am not speaking of firearms, rather integrity and heart.

Doing the right thing is not something many people give much thought to these days. You can rely on the Feldman's to do what they believe is right.

I have no say or power in the management of this forum or the other. I would welcome you to post in the "Joe Ribaudo Moderated Forum". Bring ideas, not accusations, and they will not be deleated or changed. Same as here, I would imagine.

Joe Ribaudo
Jan
Part Timer

You're not alone Wyatt

Post by Jan »

Take it easy Wyatt.

I noticed that one of my posts was deleted also. When I went back and looked at my offline composed copy of it, I sorta understood why.

It is obvious that the Feldmans are maintaining a very tight rein in here, at least for the present as boundaries for what is considered acceptable are being defined.

I would venture to guess that a lot of posts have been deleted that we don't even know were ever submitted. Wouldn't surprise me if a one or more of them were Joes.

There are old members that have left this site that some of us would like to see return. There are also current members that read regularily and post rarely that could have a lot more to offer than they do. It's just not going to happen until they see that there is a very low or zero tolerance for the attitudes and practices that were dominant in the unmoderated forum of old.

So one of your posts got deleted? If you have a saved copy of it, go look at it and try to figure out why. Massage it a little and resubmit it. Repeat step one and two above as many times as it takes to get it within the allowable limits.

Now it's your turn to make the necessary attitude adjustment and then toss your marbles back into the circle, and sit back down here with the rest of us that are trying very hard to do the same thing.

I am sure you are holding out on us Wyatt and you've got some more very interesting photos and maybe stories to share with us. How am I going to drag them out of you if you are not active in the forum?

Jan
rochha
Part Timer

grandstanding

Post by rochha »

Billy,

I got one delted as well along with a few other people. None of us are grandstanding about it. When you post in a moderated forum thats the chance you take. If that bothers you post in the unmoderated forum.

Rochha
azdave35
Part Timer

Post by azdave35 »

i have no problem with the new moderated forum...i like it...the theory is very simple..if you dont bash your fellow forum members..your posts wont get deleted...stick to posting about the lost dutchman mine...and your posts wont get deleted .if you come in here and whine like a baby..your posts might get deleted ..if you dont act like children....you wouldnt need a moderator...but seeing as some of us have been acting this way.....the moderstor had to step in and i for one am glad to see him do it