CIVILIZED FORUM

This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please.

Moderator: Jesse J. Feldman

Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

CIVILIZED FORUM

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

To All Concerned,

This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please. It allows all character, personality, and freedom, short of sarcastic malicious attacks. Just how civilized people practice life everyday. This is an attempt to bring people back to the discussions.

This forum's moderators will delete unnecessary posts and hopefully save the discussions from closure. Anything brought from previous history concerning unwanted behavior will be deleted.
Last edited by Jesse J. Feldman on Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Part Timer

New forum

Post by Jan »

What a great idea! A moderated forum that the bullies cannot control.

Thank You Mr. Feldman(s)

Jan
bill711
Expert

Post by bill711 »

Thank you J.J. Bill 8)
rochha
Part Timer

alias's

Post by rochha »

Jesse,

You should have added on more item on your lists of do’s and don’ts. No posting under alias’s.

Rochha
WyattWestwood
Part Timer

Post by WyattWestwood »

Deleted......
Last edited by WyattWestwood on Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Idea

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

Wyatt has made an excellent suggestion here. I would vote that you implement his ideas immediately. I hope he does not intend to deleate any of the ideas in his last post on this thread.

I believe others would welcome the "one man, one identity" concept. What in the world could it hurt?

It would not stifle the free exchange of ideas, in any way. There is no hint of censorship in his proposals, only even handed moderating.

Please give it some thought and let us know what you decide.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Correction

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

Earlier I said:

"There is no hint of censorship in his proposals, only even handed moderating."

Actually I was wrong.

"I hope in your Deletions that you look closely at who is posting to much to soon and flooding the Thread with his or her own thoughts and Ideas not giving others a chance to voice their opinions. Because frankly, you should delete those posts giving others the podium.

I think a monthly Post "limit" would do the trick. This way if someone trys to take over the whole thread they couldn't do it. After they reached their limit they would have to wait until the next month to post. Give those who have been on here the longest the same equal posts as those who are new. That would equalize the playing field."

All of the above is "censorship". As Bill has "rightly" pointed out, the podium is open to all, and on an equal basis. There is nothing to stop anyone from voicing their thoughts.

The only thing that inhibits the free flow of ideas on the forum, is the use of multiple identities to flood the thread with one person's point of view.
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Oops!

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Hit the worng key. :oops:

An example of this, would be if I had a "team" of ten people, consisting of only one person (me) and posting as ten different members. We could call the group "Team Beaver". Each of the ten would pat the others on the back, and agree with whatever the leader said.

If only three people, outside "Team Beaver" had another opinion, they would be "shouted down" by "Team Beaver". I believe this has been done a few times in the past on the LDM Forum.

Simple fix. One man, one identity. Would that be some form of censorship? If you implemented that rule, I believe you would see a lot of people disappear. :wink: Of all the regulations you could put into place for a "moderated" forum, I believe that would have the most benificial effect and the greatest impact for good.

For those who have posted on the "Moderated LDM Forum", you should speak up and make your wishes known to Jesse. He will do what he believes is right, but I have no doubt he will take your opinions into consideration.

Not that many folks have used this site yet. It would be nice to see each of them speak their mind here. Let Jesse know where each of you stands on this suggestion.

Respectfully,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
azdave35
Part Timer

Post by azdave35 »

one man ,one identity sounds good to me...i believe that would eliminate most of the trouble around here
rochha
Part Timer

alias"s

Post by rochha »

Dave,

You and Joe hit the nail right on the head, that would eliminate a lot of the garbage around here, which has needed to be taken out for a long time. I get sick of seeing alias’s posting to steer the conversation in a certain direction or to a website. :wink: It is so obvious who is behind it when it happens it's pathetic. It’s an insult to everyone’s intelligence!

Rochha
JIM HAMRICK
Part Timer

civilized forum

Post by JIM HAMRICK »

It is truly sad to see the forum moderated so heavly but I think that it has become necessary to save this forum. I have found much information in this forum and have been pleased with the overall knowledge of its subscribers. Lately it has disintigrated to something I can not understand and because of this, information gleened form here is suspect as to its meaning.

Would it be advantages to all members if subscribers submit a brief outline of their interest and a brief history? This I would gladly do if anyone is interested.

The new look is useable and probably puts the forum back in line to its earlier intent.

Jim Hamrick
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Forum Moderation

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jim,

I don't believe the original forum has changed or become "moderated".
It seems that what the Feldman's have done, is create another, seperate, venue for LDM discussions.

I assume they saw the need for such a forum. Like you, and many others, they have seen Ron's original creation "go to hell in a hand basket". :cry:

Maintaining a modicum of control over this new forum makes perfect sense. Having it both ways, they can see which one the members prefer.

I could be wrong, but I believe the serious members will gravitate towards a moderated forum. That has nothing to do with censure, but does maintain a focus on what we are interested in and set some reasonable boundries.

It seems probable, that the only thing we will loose here, is the ability of a couple of wackos to set the agenda for the rest of us.

I am looking forward to meeting you at Twin Buttes.

Take care.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
bill711
Expert

civilized forum

Post by bill711 »

J.J. I think the one man/woman 1 ID would do it! NO ALIAS,s! NO WILD TWO TALL TALES like the spainish leaving signs like the sun shining thru the bushes on a rock... IT,s Unbeleivable.. Bill 8)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Posting On The New Forum

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

I would hope that the majority of the members of the LDM Forum would see the advantages of having and posting on a moderated forum. As most of you were unwilling to police the old forum, but more than willing to bitch about the direction it was going, I would think you would see that this is a much better way to go.

It seems fairly obvious that the Feldman's have seen the need for moderators and, at least, minimal boundries. Those who resent those civil boundries should stay in the old forum. "Those who do not learn from history......"

I am urging those who are still talking to me, to use this forum and leave the other behind. I trust the Feldman's to be fair and even handed. Those who don't, will prefer the "original recipe version". :)

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Never Too Late

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Steve,

I know it took you awhile to decide to come forth and speak the truth, that you know. I understand why someone like you, would not want to get involved. It says something about you that you ignored your self interests, and spoke up.

That is much more important than the fact that I am not DED. Even more important is the fact that others also know I am not him, or Bill, and they remain silent. Once again "friends".

It is never too late for the truth. It is never too late to defend a friend.

Thank you.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Censorship?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

The post you are going to deleat is "positive" and is "constructive", in that it asks for a clarification of comments that were made by LDM.

If the post is "borderline" then you had better get busy with your eraser.
There are a good many others that are just like mine, and much more egregious than mine. Why would you single out this particular post to deleat?

The other question that comes to mind is: Why are you leaving it on the site at all? If it is worth deleating, it should be deleated at once. The idea of deleating a post, is to remove the offensive content, and have as few people exposed to it as possible.

What exactly do you find offensive about the post? Rather than being off subject, it is entirely on point. That is why I picked your topic as the place to post it.

The subject is the comments of a respected member of the LDM Forum, which seem ambiguous, at best. My quotes of the comments, and my questions concerning them are not in the least ambiguous.

Attacking someone's character and judgement by using association with unnamed "others", all the while not willing to attache your own name to the accusation, does not seem like an ethical method of presenting your ideas.

By signing your name to the bottom of your post, you are left with nowhere to hide from the things you have written. You are stating that you believe everything you have placed in the post, and are willing to personallly defend the content.

I am not attacking LDM. I know who he is and have tremendous respect for the man behind the name or names. I have a problem with his placing Greg Davis in his grouping. If his intent is to pressure Greg away from these "others", he should name them and present his reasoning.
Otherwise, call him on the phone, instead of questioning his judgement on an open forum.

Hiding behind "secret' names means you never have to personally defend the ideas and thought processes you are using on an open forum. If I attack something "Wiz" has said, I am attacking no one. The whole thing is pathetic.

Pathetic is the key word in this entire thread.

When I sign "Respectfully", it does not mean I am agreeing with everything someone says.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo

p.s. Over two hundred views have taken place since I made my first comments to LDM. I think "everyone" has seen it. :wink:
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Just Words?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

These are your words, outlining the reasons for creating your "Moderated Forum". They were good words. I hope you stick by them.

"To All Concerned,

This forum is designed to be a place of learning, discussion, opinions, positive attitudes, and a general gathering of people with the same interests to post as they please. It allows all character, personality, and freedom, short of sarcastic malicious attacks. Just how civilized people practice life everyday. This is an attempt to bring people back to the discussions.

This forum's moderators will delete unnecessary posts and hopefully save the discussions from closure. Anything brought from previous history concerning unwanted behavior will be deleted." (emphasis in bold by Joe)

I believe my posts fall well within the boundries you have established. :?

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
LDM
Part Timer

words

Post by LDM »

Deleted.
Last edited by LDM on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Joe,

By quoting "unwanted behavior" taken from other forums and asking for a reply is unwanted behavior. You know it is not going to be a positive answer, so why print it here? LDM did not post here before your post on Sept. 25. It seems it is out of place and unwanted. Remember this is not personal. But rather business.

Sincerely,

Jesse
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Did You Miss This Topic?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

You need to be consistent and fair to make a moderated forum work.

Did you miss this topic? "Weak and Insecure people" by, Ray Tucker?

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

Joe,

I read it again. You are right. It should be deleted along with some of the following posts. As I stated before, We started this forum with a strong constitution and backed off in the following weeks. I had to pursue to feel out what were the correct boundries. Perhaps the boundry has been found. Thanks for helping.

Jesse
bill711
Expert

civilized forum

Post by bill711 »

Jesse just delete the whole mess of them, and be done with it. Don,t take no lip off them, just delete them... Bill 8)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Time To Act

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Jesse,

I must agree with Bill. You should not wait, but deleat the whole mess right away.

I achieved my purpose when LDM responded. While it may have seemed like a public thing, it was actually private. We knew it, but no one else did.

You know that I respect you and trust you to do the right thing. When you know your right, just go ahead. Let the others "ride with the devil".

Respectfully,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The New Forum

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

I had five notices of posts for the LDM Forum today, that were not there when I finally got out of bed and took a peek. Been sick for a couple of weeks now.

The only thing that could have happened, was that management deleated them.

The fact that someone is still trying to destroy this site is troubling, to say the least. Must be some powerful hate built up there.

Hopefully they will take the hint and stay in their own playground.

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Hope you get feeling better Joe!
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari