The Sleeping Lady Treasure

Discussions, feedback and suggestions about the Superstition Mountain Journal and its articles.
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

The Sleeping Lady Treasure

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

The story titled "The Sleeping Lady Treasure" is on pages 9-25 of the new volume 22 of the Sup. Mt. Journal.

Greg certainly found the spot. Just goes to show some of the most ridiculous drawings could hold value. Finding the exact location a map takes you to is so rare. Certainly undiscovered caches are all over the mountains. This is an opportunity to go directly to the spot. For someone looking for a good day hike and a little treasure hunting, I think this is the ticket. When I am in the area this winter, I will have to take a look.

Thanks Greg,

Jesse
Ward
Greenhorn

Re: The Sleeping Lady Treasure

Post by Ward »

Jesse J. Feldman wrote:The story titled "The Sleeping Lady Treasure" is on pages 9-25 of the new volume 22 of the Sup. Mt. Journal.

Greg certainly found the spot.
Jesse, I hate to disagree with the owner of the website, but I am not as convinced that he found the correct site as you seem to be. I first got interested in that map a few years back when I saw it on another website. I have studdied that map very closely and searched for the Sleeping Lady rock on many occasions. Sleeping Lady rocks like the one in the photo in the journal are not at all uncommon and I have some photos of rocks that I believe match the drawing much better than the one the author is working with. My interrupretation of the map leads me to believe that like the map says, The KEY to the mines is "Three Stones All by them self".

I don't see these three stones in his photo or where he mentions finding them in his article. Everything else on the map is typical of about every ravine in the Wilderness Area.

What am I missing that you can see that convinces you that he has found the right spot without the maps "Key" Markers being found?

WB

P.S. Did you happen to read the story about "Big Foot" at the end of the Journal? It is a little easier for me to digest than "I found EVERYTHING" except the most important thing on the map."
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

ROCKS

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

Ward,

I believe Greg found the spot. I would not post it if I did not believe in him. I do not know how to explain it other than - Traveling through your home environment lends you to see obvious things. Those things may not be obvious to others. The evidence printed in the journal shows the ridge just how it is in the field - minus one thing. The "one thing" may have been destroyed, out of sight, etc. Mind you, usually rock clues are hard for me to believe. I guess if we were to examine the story honestly, we would look at everything in its entirety. I took it that Greg did that. Does the story hold any value besides the given location? Greg is meticulously scientific with his collections. You should give him more credit.

Greg. Do you have any input?

Jesse
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Big Foot?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ward/Jan/Reddison......whatever,

Also moved this post to the Ray Tucker subject, as it is all the same.

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan
Part Timer

Sleeping Lady Article

Post by Jan »

I don’t understand why Joe’s response was addressed to me as well as several other people, but since it is I will consider it an invitation to respond to the subject without responding to Joe's personal comments.

From reviewing the article I cannot conclude that there is any claim in it by Mr. Davis to have found the actual site depicted on the sleeping lady map. It is clearly stated in the article that a number of things that would be expected to be found if this were the area shown on the map could not be found and concludes with the following statement. “For those readers energetic enough to take off on a hike to explore this area, have fun and let us know if you locate any of the sites that Nick and I missed.” If I read Ward’s post correctly, it is directed more towards the conclusion that was reached by Jesse than it was at Mr. Davis who simply presented his story and left it to the reader to form their own conclusions.

I enjoyed the article very much and appreciate the historical background included in it. Whether or not this is the location of a buried treasure, I always find it a joy to read about other people’s personal experiences, especially when they can be linked to a particular legend or story associated with the Superstition Mountains. Mr. Davis has provided a great deal of documentation in the article that he has collected and invested a considerable amount of personal time in to correlate into a very interesting story. Interesting enough that it has already been added to my list of places to visit. I look forward to making a trip to the site this winter to make my own evaluation of the surrounding area for evidence that some kind of Spanish/Mexican activity may have taken place there.

It is not often that someone will publish such a well documented history of the potential existence of a buried treasure, and then provide topographical maps to an area they have found that could be the site. I thank Mr. Davis for unselfishly sharing the information and appreciate the all the personal effort it took to do so.

Jan
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Why Me?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

This post was also moved to the Ray Tucker subject.

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ray Tucker
Greenhorn

Thank You for proving my point made earlier

Post by Ray Tucker »

Joe

I see you couldn’t pass up an opportunity to dung up another topic with your personal opinions of other members of the forum instead of providing any enlightening information on the subject. I could not reference a better post that would serve as an example of my previous explanation of how some weak and insecure people attempt to change the subject from something they know nothing about to something that they think will make them appear to be knowledgeable. I was happy to see that the lady politely sidestepped your bait and maintained her focus on the subject. How can it be that a man with your huge library on the subject of this website, and nearly 50 years of experience in the mtns (as per some of your previous posts) can find nothing to offer the site but personal attacks on other members that are trying to work together to unravel some of the mysteries and legends? Your continuous display of your lack of self control is neither amusing or entertaining to anyone other than the few that share your lack of self control and use this website as some kind of therapeutical vehicle for the release of their displaced aggression. Whatever your problem is, you will never solve it by stereotyping everyone that does not agree with you into one category, or by fooling yourself into believing that they all originate from one identity.

Why can’t you accept the fact that you will never have any control over what other people write, and dwell on the positive concept that you will always have full control over what you choose to read?

Ray Tucker
bill711
Expert

Mountain Journal

Post by bill711 »

Ray why don,t you and J follow some of the advice that you keep putting out; You have spured joe from the first since you came on the forum. I have no respect for you or this ? anymore! Hell I thought u,all had some sense when u first came on the forum but you didn,t last long until you started your crap. bill 8)
Last edited by bill711 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Time To Deleat?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

This post was moved to the Ray Tucker subject on the Joe Ribaudo Moderated Forum.

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Tucker
Greenhorn

Post by Ray Tucker »

Joe

You seem to be referring to my posts that are left in the forums and ignoring my initial posts that no longer exist in the Cursum Perficio forum. I believe there are a good number of people on this site that saw my initial posts in the now defunct Cursum Perficio forum that can see right through your little game. I wouldn’t be surprised if many of them saved the pages to their computers before it was all deleted by someone other than myself, and can go read my initial posts. I know I did, and it’s no problem for me to copy and paste the entire topic here to refresh your memory if you like. I think it will show that I was a pretty happy camper in there before you entered the scene ultimately caused it’s demise. You won’t get away with spreading your false evidence against me and suggesting that I no interest in this site outside of yourself, because the real evidence is too easy to retrieve from printouts and saved copies. Who do you think you are fooling?

Ray Tucker
Assayer

A question to the members of the site.

Post by Assayer »

I have been a forum member for sometime, but have not posted yet, until now.

I have a question.

Why does this Joe Ribaudo have his own forum? And why was another moderated forum started, seemingly to placate Joe Ribaudo? Am I missing something here???

The old LDM forum does not seem to have any problems since Joe Ribaudo left it, or am I the only one to notice that?

Does one whining loudmouth member get to terrorize the members, webmaster and Feldmans at will? I just don't understand it. Somebody besides Joe Ribaudo please explain what the hell is going on here.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ray Tucker/Assayer,

You guys do what you want to here. I agree with Ray Tucker that this is not the place for our little conversation. That's why I moved my replies.
If you two want to continue this conversation, move it into the Ray Tucker Topic.

Joe Ribaudo
Last edited by Joe Ribaudo on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Gentlemen: With respect to the Superstition Moutain Historical Society and their
efforts to preserve and present the stories of the Superstitions, lets keep the discussions focused to the story. If you have a personal issue with one of the forum members, then take it to another site. I wrote this story for you enjoyment and to promote your comments and ideas. All I know about the story was put in the article. There is nothing more to add on my part. I knew from the start that my conclusion to the story would not be in agreement with everyone. That's fine and I greet all you comments with interest and respect. The pictures just do not do justice to the area. I really recommend that you make the hike to the ares, seen for yourself, and then make your own judgment. Its a nice one day hike, there and back, from the Peralta Trail Head. Maybe you can fine the sites, (provided they are there), that Nick and I were not able to locate. Cordailly, Gregory E. Davis
Ray Tucker
Greenhorn

Sleeping Lady Treasure

Post by Ray Tucker »

Mr. Davis,

My sincere apologies to you sir and your Historical Society! I had no idea of any affiliation between this website and an official Historical Society. The title of the Forum “Superstition Mountain Journal” and subtitle (topic) “The Sleeping Lady Treasure” nor any of the content of the conversation offered any clue to any connection with an Historical Society.

One question (consistant with the specified topic) if I may. Are you or are you not, endorsing this site to be what you believe to be the site of the Sleeping Lady Treasure?

Again my sincere apologies,

Ray Tucker
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Dear Mr. Tucker; This site was set up by the Superstition Mountain Historical Society to obtain comments, corrections, and suggestions regarding the format and subject matter of articles appearing in the annual Superstition Mountain Journal. All comments both positive, negative, in agreement, or in disagreement with are welcome. Only through feed back, either negative or positive are we able to improve the journal. Regarding the Sleeping Lady Story. The publication of this story does NOT in any way reflect a policy or conclusion by the Superstition Mountain History Society or the Supersition Mountain Museum. With that understood, the answer to your question regarding the site is my own personal opinion. Armed with what I was told by John Burbride about this area being referred to the upper part of Needle Canyon, which it really is not but that is what they called it back then, the letters and the maps, it does appear to me that this is the correct site. Now others may feel different and I am open to any suggestion as to the contrary. If you know of another place that fits the map better, and you are not working the site at this time. then let us know so we may look at it. In conclusion, I do highly recommend you take the day hike up there and see for yourself. There is nothing like actually being on site. I thank you for your comments and hope this reply answers your questiohn. Cordially Gregory E. Davis
padutchman
Greenhorn

Sleeping Lady Update?

Post by padutchman »

Has there been any new information about the Sleeping Lady site since the previous posting?

Bill