Barry Storm

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Barry Storm

Post by count »

I would like to go on record as saying that I think old Barry gets a bad rap. Sure, his books are melodramatic and hokey, but he was a pulp writer! Let's not forget that he was one of the first modern guys on the spot, he didn't have the benefit of all the books we have, the internet, etc., and he DID actually find some gold (over 28 oz.), which is more than anyone I know has done. Barry never gets a chapter in anyone's book, never gets any respect (except from Doug Stewart). We all owe a lot to Barry, and we should stop belittling his legacy.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I am somewhat ambivalent to Storm. For example: did he find a shell casing that one of the 2 Soldiers left while hunting deer in needle canyon? That's somewhat far fetched. <br> <br>On the other hand, his NOTES OF AUTHENTICITY in the addendum to Thunder Gods Gold are very well done and for the most part dead on factually. <br> <br>I think we have two faces of Barry: the pulp "novelist" and the serious researcher.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Well, I believe he found a shell casing, anyway. Whose it was is anyone's guess. But he did think of it, and go out looking. He found the marker cactus, the ORO sign, all sorts of things, with no preconception of what might be out there. You have to admire him as a trailblazing dutch hunter. (At least, I do). It's easy for us to sit back and pooh-pooh his efforts from the vantage point of 70 years in the future from him. But Barry was out there early. I think he deserves more credit for what he actually did, and deserves a break if his books don't quite measure up to subsequent ones, fact-wise. <br> <br>If you think about it, how many people have really done any better than he did?
count
Expert

Post by count »

I agree . Anybody that spent the time that Storm devoted to the mountain , deserves a place in history. He went a long way in propelling the legend, even though much of what he wrote was fabrication. By the way anyone ever hear that Storm had a jade mine in California? Don Shade had visited it and knew Storm well.