New Books

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

New Books

Post by count »

Anyone have any information about the release dates of a couple of new books coming out on the LDM/Jacob Waltz? <br> <br>I am not certain of the titles , but Helen Corbin is putting out one book, supposedly with an in depth study of <br>Waltz and his personal history. As far as I know the release date keeps getting pushed back on this one. Any info out there about a solid ETA? <br> <br>The other is another book by Wendell Scott. Don't know what its contents are <br>but am interested anyway...for my collections sake. Not terribly sure his first effort was on the mark as far as Waltz finding the mine in the Carefree area. I also am not certain about a work that featured the "shadow of Weavers Needle at 4' o'clock" clue as a prominent premise for finding the LDM. <br> <br>But who knows.... <br> <br>In any event please post if you have any info about obtaining these works, or email me. <br> <br>P
count
Expert

Post by count »

My information is that Helen Corbin's book is coming out in mid-April. I didn't know about Scott's new book, but would like to (likewise, for my collection). <br>Re Carefree: I have found clues matching the LDM clues EVERYWHERE in the Arizona desert. It has become sort of a game! The Perfil map is the worst - you can find those formations everywhere you look.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I know what you mean about the Perfil Mapa. I have seen it place the LDM in/on: <br> <br>1) Bluff Springs Mtn <br>2) Upper Labarge Box <br>3) Carefree <br>4) The Bulldog Mine <br>5) Upper Labarge again (Bob Ward) <br>6) Red Mountain <br>7) An area NORTH of Tortilla Mtn <br>8) Near the big waterhole in Peters Canyon <br>9) An area just east and south of Bluff Springs <br> <br>This map seems to have the same metaphysical qualities as the Stone Maps, and the interesting thing about it, is that it most likely has nothing at all to do with AZ...but thats another tale to tell.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I as well would be interested in seeing Scott's book. I collect any LDM books I can get my hands on. So, I am interested in this new book - if for no other reason than to add it to my collection. However, I have to say, I do not neccesarily agree with many of the theories a lot of the books out there present. Before making any comments on Mr. Scott's book, I'd have to see it. <br> <br>But, in general, I think authors should carefully think through what they intend to present before they actually do so. Often, just to show off how "smart" they are, many people rashly - and all too quickly - throw out information, theories, and conjectures. These are often then shot down pretty fast after they are put into print. <br> <br>Regarding the shadow clue: I'd like to throw in a little bit of info regarding it. I have often wondered where that particular clue came from. And I have some assumptions about where I think it came from - but they are, after all, only my humble assumptions. The clue's validity has to be very questionable. As anyone knows the sun assumes different positions everyday. Thus, shadows would be different everyday. Hence, said clue would be worthless - and I can't even see anyone (especially Waltz) giving out such a clue. <br> <br>Now, there is a little paperback book that has been out since the mid-1970s written by Robert Joseph Allen. (Personally, I do not think much of it...) In it Allen claims to have interviewed Gertrude Barkley - Tex Barkley's wife. She supposedly told Allen that the "shadow of Weaver's Needle at 4:00 clue" was one of the "clues" Jim Bark thought was important - implying that the clue had been around for quite some time as Bark was aware of it. <br> <br>From a reading of the Bark Notes, one picks up that Bark received most of his clues from Rhiney Petrasch. It could be this clue (if Allen is accurate in his recounting) was given to Bark by Rhiney and that it was considered one of the "secret clues" that Bark and the Petrasches held close to themselves. The shadow clue is not mentioned in the Bark Notes. That would be the case if Bark really thought it important - as the Bark Note hardly contains anything revealing. Thus, if it was considered important - he would have kept it to himself. <br> <br>Today we know of the shadow clue more through second hand word of mouth. Bark or the Petrasches could have mentioned the clue to someone who took things from there passing it on orally - and occasionally it being set to paper by various writers. Hence, today we have it. However, using it to locate the LDM is highly questionable because it is so worthless.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I've also seen the 4:00 clue interpreted as a direction, e.g. "Weaver's Needle is at 4:00". In the A&E video, Ron says something about light shining through a hole in the rock onto the gold. Another version of the same clue maybe? <br> <br>I found Allen's book to be irritating. He presents so many things as "facts" that let's face it, no one could know that level of detail. <br>But I have to temper my opinions of various Dutchman books by telling myself: "OK, Mr. Critic, where's YOUR Dutchman book?". It's easy to criticize someone else's effort, not so easy to make your own contribution. So, everyone's book (except Allen's) is OK with me. <br> <br>Has anyone read K & A Sidinger's book which places the LDM north of Mesquite Flat? Sure: but just try getting there!
count
Expert

Post by count »

Interesting that you mention the area of Sidingers search. Estee Conatser placed the LDM in approximately the same area. <br> <br>Are they correct? Dont know. But I'd be interested in the reasoning behind the placement there (other than the "sharp peak to the south" then becomes Tortilla Mtn).
count
Expert

Post by count »

Well, Sidenger has some photos that sure look like our old friend, the Perfil Mapa.
count
Expert

Post by count »

That book was recently for sale on ebay and I was lucky to picked up on it. I have not received it yet. But it should be interesting. All I can say is that I am going by what Doug Stewart said in his review of the book on his site. And, if memory serves me correctly, I recall that part of their match-up had a missing component explained away by the 1887 earthquake. Is that correct? I have seen many photos that look susiciously like parts of the Perfil Mapa. Mitch Waite at his site has an interesting photo. As is the "head" photographed by Wendell Scott in his first book. Close but not exact. I am curious about the Sidinger book. I'll have to wait and see. <br> <br>But, the Perfil Mapa.... well let's just say that I - of all people - have "issues" with it. And, I am not amused by the various interpretations of it.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Yes, Doug Stewart is brutally frank about the book. It's like all the other matching spots: some hits, some misses. And the earthquake does take the blame. But these guys have something most books don't: photos of a mine.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Sorry, but the earthquake factor simply doesnt wash as far as destroying landmarks that fit the bill of the Perfil Mapa. Bob Ward says an earthquake <br>destroyed Miners Needle in 1936, other wise that would have fit the bill perfectly for S.Sima. <br> <br>Wendell Scott said the earthquake of '87 <br>destroyed the peak of his El Sombrero and golly gee, wouldnt you know it, it would have fit the bill perfectly, notch and all. <br> <br>I am wondering how "earthquakes" were able to destroy entire mountaintops, but left huge balanced rocks throughtout the Superstitions still standing. <br> <br>One thing that wrankles me is folks explaining away why one particular area doesnt exactly fit whatever clues are involved with the area, by the convient "earthquake" excuse. <br> <br>As to a mine being found, I am sure there is one. Complete with tunel and hoya. The problem is there are dozens and dozens of tunels and hoyas throughout the mountains. There is one mountain in particular that has several of these landmarks pock marking its face. Doesnt mean the mine is there. <br> <br>But then again...
count
Expert

Post by count »

Really, the only problem with the "an earthquake ate my mine" theory is this: OK, if the landmarks were really altered by the quake, then everything else should be in its proper place. So, where's the mine? If it hasn't been found, then maybe the "altered" features weren't the right ones after all. <br> <br>In thinking about it, I'll bet not one in a hundred LDM searchers are really looking for gold. There are much better places than the Superstitions to look for gold. (Of course, finding gold would be good, too). What we're all involved in is the mystery and the romance of the legend. Interpret the map! Find the hidden signs! This stuff is great, and if anyone was to actually find the LDM, it would take all the fun out of things! <br> <br>PS: It's-all-a-story Dept: I don't believe there really is a Picture Rock in La Barge canyon. I have searched every bloody flat rock for 3/4 mile around Charlebois Canyon and haven't found it. I think it's all a cruel jest, designed to make me waste my time in the mountains so I don't actually find the LDM. Probably a communist plot. Barry Storm was right about them! <br> <br>PPS: Does anyone know the history of the 3-walled structure in La Barge Creek <br>at the bend at Charlebois Canyon? I understand it's been there a long time, but why anyone would build it in the creek bed is beyond me.
count
Expert

Post by count »

This past weekend I did a book signing for the musuem and I saw Helen Corbin . Whoever said mid April on her release of a new book is close , from what I heard. Scott's book is out and is available in limited places now , but probaly this week or next the museum should have it.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I have read the book by Sidinger several times (in 1 hour). Photos are interesting but the narrative leaves a lot to be desired. They live in Glendale just west of 56th Ave. I doubt that they will ever return to the mountains again at their age but they would be interesting to get into this forum. <br>Has anyone heard of a Mexican camp in the area north of Mesquite Flats? Sidinger notes that he felt he found it in a photo?? <br> <br>Anyone who wants a copy of their photo/brochure can get it from them at $15, they have copies in their home. <br> <br>azmula
count
Expert

Post by count »

I certainly agree about the narrative, but once again, where's MY book? <br>The Sidingers are listed in the phone book, if anyone's interested in contacting them. <br> <br>Ron: Thanks for the book info.
count
Expert

Post by count »

The museum now has Wendall Scott's book.
count
Expert

Post by count »

As far as a Mexican camp north of Mesquite Flats, Barry Storm described an area "near the back end of Mesquite Flats" in his Notes of Authenticity. Claims that Tex Barkley and others described arrastres, stone house, etc in this area. It seems like I've seen other references to finding signs of mining in this general area. Is this where the Sidingers got the idea to search in that area?
count
Expert

Post by count »

Hiker, <br> <br>Picture Rock, Inscription Rock, Master Map, whatever you want to call it, that bugger IS hard to find! We had virtually given up when we stumbled upon it making our way back to the trail. <br> <br>Check out my description at <a href="http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php? ... ta%20TH</a> <br> <br>If you would like GPS coordinates just send me an email.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Peter's point about the "earthquake" leaving balanced rocks is well taken. I believe the tremor could not have been very powerful. If it was strong enough to "significantly alter the landscape", not only would "balanced rocks" have toppled, but also many of the pinnacles and vertical formations that still dominate the landscape. Keep in mind that it takes thousands, if not millions of years for erosion to create these formations from solid rock, so they have been around long before any earthquake a little over a hundred years ago.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Thanks, I will. I need to re-check the older postings here more often!
count
Expert

Post by count »

The balanced rock thing is a point noted by a lot of people. Tom Glover mentions the same thing in his first book, and I believe he is currently doing more detailed research on the subject for a future edition. Tom is an excellent researcher, so I think we can all look forward to some interesting new information on this matter.