Interesting Software

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Interesting Software

Post by count »

For those of you who like to use computers, I've found some mapping software that is pretty useful. <br> <br>You can buy it for the state of Arizona for example, and zoom all the way from a State-level map down to actual topo maps. They have all the topos for the state in the software. <br> <br>The neat part is that once you have zoomed in to the area you are interested in, you can push the "3-D" button and it will draw a 3 dimensional map on the screen. You can tilt and rotate the 3-D map to look at it from all directions and angles. So you can see what a certain mountain looks like from different angles (for example the earlier postings about an oxbow shaped mountain). <br> <br>The resolution is not as good as I'd like, so it's not the same as looking at a picture, but still interesting to play with. <br> <br>The name of the software is 3-D TopoQuads by DeLorme. The have a web site with info and demos. There is also a 3-D version for less money that doesn't have the topo maps.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I'll second the recommendation for the DeLorme 3-D TopoQuads. Its the software that I use for study and overviews of the different terrain features of the mountains. <br> <br>I believe the cost is c. $100 for the software plus the state of your choice. <br> <br>You wont see every spire and cave, but it gives a decent view of the various <br>landmarks and points of interest. <br> <br>P
count
Expert

Post by count »

Thank you amigo, I will look into this software right away, it sounds like just the thing.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Should also keep your eye on NASA's web site. They are supposedly releasing "the most detailed three-dimensional maps ever made" of the Earth. This is based on radar imagary taken from the space shuttle. I have a link here somewhere, but haven't seen these maps or data there the last time I looked.
count
Expert

Post by count »

How are you getting the tilde to go over the 'n'? I am PC-challenged and can't do that!
count
Expert

Post by count »

Actually, I cheated. Used an on-line language translator to convert "mister x" to Spanish. Then cut and pasted the returned characters with the tilde.
count
Expert

Post by count »

I have been using a software package called "TOPO" for about a year. Does not do any fancy 3-D but I don't need it either. Wide World of Maps was selling it for $50.00. The company also has a website where you can try it out free. <br> <br>azmula
count
Expert

Post by count »

Thanks to Senor x and Peter for the tip about 3-D Topo Quads. I picked up a copy and have been having a great time with it.
count
Expert

Post by count »

You are welcome.
count
Expert

Post by count »

Glad you're having fun with it. The only thing I wish it could do is draw the 3-D map from the perspective of someone standing in a specific spot on the map (would make it easier to find out where you have to stand to see four-peaks line up as one peak and other useful things!) <br> <br>I sent this suggestion to DeLorme, don't know if they'll implement it.