Actually, a Robert E Lee short film!

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Actually, a Robert E Lee short film!

Post by count »

Hmm. The video I'm speaking of was an episode in an early 60's series called "Passport to Adventure." Not a German production. <br> But after you replied, Ron, I watched it again to see if it was what you were referring to. <br> The first and only time before today was a couple years ago, when I could barely stomach the bad photography, editing, and melodramatic writing, and so turned it off after ten minutes! But I watched it to the end this time, and it turns out that Robert Lee narrated, wrote and produced it in 1961. <br> There's a little more factual info than I had written in the first post--but not much more. One particularly interesting thing is that it has several minutes of live footage of Ed Piper and Barney Barnard with Lee out by Black Top and Weaver's Needle. <br> This production is dripping with over-the-top tourism propaganda (and Lee's unabashed self-promotion), but it's not as worthless as I first thought! <br> nick
count
Expert

Post by count »

I think what Ron was referring to that was German was the Discovery program with Ward - the one made by Tandem Film. I tried to research this and Tandem is indeed a German company. The likelihood of finding a video is ZERO - unless the airing network (Discovery) decides to sell it... <br> <br>Anyway, I look forward to the Travel Channel programs with Ron. They should be interesting. <br> <br>The Passports to Adventure make sense. Lee had a regional TV show out of California in the early 1960s (late 1950s) called Passports to Adventure. The feature documentary he did called "The Lost Dutchman Mine" in the mid 1970s had footage from two time frames - the early 1960s - when Ed Piper was still in the mountains - and when he (Lee) went back in the 1970s. So, the Passport to Adventure probably had footage from his 1960s expedition and the feature had footage from the 1960s and the 1970s. <br> <br>I also remember two other things regarding LDM TV shows. One was an episode of "Maverick" from the 1960s in which the Maverick brothers' cousin (Roger Moore) was the "lead" in an episode and it involved the LDM. There was also a little feature I found once on the Internet for sale about the LDM (sold by a local Phoenix organization/company - I think) in which Ben Johnson was the narrator. I cannot find it again, though... Anyone know about this?
count
Expert

Post by count »

Hi S.C. <br> The cover, the tape, and the credits at the end say 1961, and not a 1970's date. <br> So this tape I have must be a copy of the first of his 2 video productions, I guess, the second being the one you originally mentioned in this post... <br> Thanks for bringing this to attention. I may have to watch out for Lee's second LDM video, and hope it's done a little better than the 60's version! <br> nick