Charlebois and LaBarge

TRANFER OF ALL POSTS IS COMPLETE
Archived postings from the old forum. Do not post new replies here.

"count" is listed as the author for all posts because the names of the original authors could not be transferred.
count
Expert

Charlebois and LaBarge

Post by count »

A couple of people that I've never seen much background info on is Phil LaBarge and ? Charlebois. There is a brief story in Storm's books on them, and he claims they were running cattle in the Superstitions in the 1870's. I think I've seen this mentioned one other place, but can't think of where. <br> <br>At any rate, I'm puzzled why not much is said about them. If for no other reason, two major canyons were named after them. <br> <br>It seems like the standard recitation of cattlemen in the Superstitions always starts with Jim Bark in 1890 (other than general comments about how cattlemen first came to the region in the 1870's when the Silver King was found). Since Bark and his cowboys found so much evidence in the area, wouldn't it make sense that any earlier cattlemen would also? Barry Storm claims to have talked to Charlebois' son Matt. <br> <br>Does anyone know over what time period Charlebois and LaBarge were in the Superstitions? Did they actually run cattle in the interior region, or just on the outskirts?
count
Expert

Post by count »

I agree with senor x, I too would like to know more about the early cattlemen of the Superstitions - specifically time frames. Tom Kollenborn has an article on the Internet at the site below. But, it does not go into too much detail regarding the specific individuals senor x mentions or time frames. <br> <br>http://ajnet.ci.apache-jct.az.us/1attle1.htm <br> <br>I can take a stab at presenting what I know. But please forgive me if I get something in error as I am writing without having all my reference materials with me at the moment. <br> <br>I believe that LaBarge and Charlebois operated after Bark. Or maybe were, at best, contempoaries. But I think it was afterwards. I believe Jack Fraser operated around the same time as Bark. Prior to Bark, there was Marlowe who had the "board house" between Cavaness (who built it) and Bark. Whitlow operated around Queen Creek prior to Bark's era - and probably forayed into the Superstitions. Then there was the "Hermit of the Superstitions," Reevis who had a "farm" - rather than a ranch - in the North East area of the range. <br> <br>Can anyone else add more to this? <br> <br>It goes without saying these individuals (with the exception of the "eccentric" Reevis) probably searched the mountains - either for the Two Soldiers gold or gold hinted at by Indian tales - or even the gold of Jacobs and Ludi... It is certainly an entertaining idea to contemplate what all these individuals must have uncovered. I always wondered what Bark "really knew" or what Barkley (later) was privy to... I think Tex probably knew a lot. But, so did others.
count
Expert

Post by count »

The only thing I can add is that Charlebois' first name was Martin, according to what I've read.
count
Expert

Post by count »

By looking at a geneology website (rootsweb.com), under WWI draft registration records, there is a listing for a Martin Charlebois. It says: <br> <br>Name: Martin Napolean Charlebois <br> <br>Born: Sept 4 1879 <br> <br>Ethnic Group: White <br> <br>Birth Site or Other Info: relative lives in Phoenix Az <br> <br>City/County: Coconino <br> <br>State: Az <br> <br>There's probably more info on the non-free portion of the website. <br> <br>Also, I saw on the Ancestry.com website, under Arizona records, there is a listing for Wuertenberg Germany Emigration Index. To read it, you must be a paid subscriber . I guess this was placed on this site due to popular demand by LD researchers?