Finding Geodes

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Finding Geodes

Post by GK_STAR »

Say....while I'm down here in Az I'd like to spend a day looking for Geodes, any tips on where I might go?

Greg Kaiser
But hey.....Thats just Me....I could be wrong
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Geodes

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Greg,

Looks like no one is going to answer your question, so I will.

Mohave County is one place I know of, since I live here. Try the area around Greenwood and Signal. They are old mining communities and well know for Amethyst Geodes.

Good Luck!

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Roger
Part Timer

Geodes In Arizona

Post by Roger »

Greg,

Would suggest you call the Arizona Dept. of Mines and Mineral Resources and see what information they can provide you on geode locations in Arizona. They may have some publications with maps and other information that would be helpful. Their contact information is:

AZ Dept of Mines and Mineral Resources
1502 West Washington
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: 602-255-3795

Web Site: http://www.admmr.state.az.us/

They do list one book in their resource list that might be good for what you want:

"Blair, G., 1992, The Rockhound's Guide to Arizona, Falcon Press Publishing Co., 165 p." You can purchase this book used at the below web site - enter either the author or book title. Six available copies will come up for sale at $6 to $12. You can get them in usually a few days.

http://used.addall.com/

Hope this helps. Good luck with the hunt!!

Roger
GK_STAR
Greenhorn

Post by GK_STAR »

Thank you Joe & Roger, I thought this would be something my wife could enjoy doing with me. We are both Disabled Vets and while I can still get around pretty good she has a harder time in rough country. She would like to come along with me into the Superstitions but thats just not possible so I try and find place's that I can take the 4X4 into so she doesn't have to walk as far. We went up to the Diamond Point area near Payson on Sat and found some nice samples of Cyrstals but only one Geode which I'm glad to report Sue found......she was very excited about it. It was small but still a nice find. Our trip here is winding down and we'll be heading back to the frozen tundra of Minnesota this week but we've had alot of fun and look forward to our next trip here. But ice out is just around the bend up there and I'll be rolling the dock out and floating the pontoon boat and start my search for some Minnesota Gold........Walleye's. My Grandaughter Corinne is my Prospecting Partner for that search.

Well thanks again Joe & Roger...and Sue thanks you also,

Greg Kaiser
But hey.....Thats just Me....I could be wrong