What does this look like to you??

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
Cubfan64
Expert

What does this look like to you??

Post by Cubfan64 »

I came across this photo from my trip last fall and am wondering what everyone else thinks about it?

At first glance, I thought it looked like smoke stains from fires - especially since it appears to be a "nook"/cave below the streak. On second thought though, I can't believe that smoke could have stained the rocks on the outside so far up the cliff face.

Is it possible this was or even is (at some point of the year) a waterfall that has stained the rock over time?

If it's not one of the above, any other ideas?
Cubfan64
Expert

Re: What does this look like to you??

Post by Cubfan64 »

guess it would help if I attached the photo eh? :)
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

howdy cubbie...
i'd say water stain...
unless that is the cliff above the dons camp...
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Thanks PWP - I kinda think it is too the more I look at it, although I'd like to get up there and see if that's a cave/nook or just the lighting.

It's quite a ways away from the Don's camp.
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Hi Cub:
The black staining,common out there,is the result of nutrients from dead vegitation dissolved in the water and utilized by lichen and the bacteria that creates "desert varnish".
The undercut at the bottom is probably due to greater flows of water during the monsoon season and snowmelt runoff in the winter months,which can be pretty rapid as well.Nightly ice formation during those months can break up and move a lot of rock.Slower perhaps,but just as efficiently as a hammer and wedge.

Regards:SH
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

hey paul...
one thing i learned, from others and experience, in the southwest...if the hole was large enough to crawl into, someone lived in it.
lazarus
Expert

Brad Live on KKNT Radio 960

Post by lazarus »

Pardon my intrusion, as this is NOT LDM related, but...
should any of you be interested, I'll be performing live this afternoon between 3-5PM Arizona time, on KKNT AM 960.

I'll be performing two songs. One original 'These Clever Lies', and a Stone Temple Pilots tune 'Atlanta' which I will be dedicating to the victims of the recent Atlanta City flooding.

You can also go to: http://www.azmusiccafe.com/ and catch it streaming, or wait a day or so for them to post the recordings in their archives.

Brad
(Lazarus)
FEMF

Post by FEMF »

Cubfan64 wrote:guess it would help if I attached the photo eh? :)
Hi Cubfan
Isn't that the cave high above the 90 Degree turn from north to west in the trail going up to Freemont pass?
FEMF
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Hi FEMF - no the area isn't near Fremont Pass. I hope to get a chance to explore it more closely next month when I visit. Assuming I get that chance, I'll revisit this post when I get back and post whatever additional photos I take and then let folks know where it's located.

Based on where it's located, I'm almost 100% certain the area's been explored plenty, but on the off chance that it hasn't, I'd rather not say where it is right now.

It amazes me how so many places in those mountains look identical to 100's of other spots out there!!
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

It's from water like posted above :) I'm 100% positive. Look at any place in the mountains where water runs down and you'll see it. See ya in about a month!!
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari