A Long Time Ago And Far Away

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
Thomas Glover
Part Timer

A Long Time Ago And Far Away

Post by Thomas Glover »

Once upon A Time In England

Something has reminded me of a long ago conversation. When I was a researching at the Royal Veterinary College in London the head of the techs. for physiology was a man named Goeff. I almost always went over to have tea with the techs, it was almost a ritual. They were more fun than the faculty lounge. One afternoon we were all having tea and giving each other the micky when Goeff told me he had a soft spot for Americans. I asked him why and he told me that during the war he was with the British force sent to Narvick, Norway.

For those of you who do not know Narvick is a town, a port in northern Norway. Sometime very early in the war, probably 1940 Britain sent a force to Narvick to thwart the Germans taking over Norway, but it was too late. When Goeff landed he was captured with the rest of the force and told if any tried to escape they, the Germans, would kill some of the towns people – Norwegians. So Goeff and all were sent to prison camps and he survived almost the entire war in one or more. But why was he so grateful to Americans?

As the war drew to a close and the Russians were closing in the camp guards took the prisoners and force-marched west. They slogged without food or probably without shoes day after day west. When they were near the end of endurance Goeff told me a man appeared over a rise with a machinegun, probably just a Thompson. He covered Goeff’s group and more men showed up. They were Americans and Goeff knew that for the first time in his life at that moment he would live through the war. To him an American accent was almost music. The Americans asked if any of the German guards had hurt them or been bad. Those that were pointed out were shot on the spot.

So there I sat in that old lab prep area where we had tea the inheritor of the good will generated those years ago by those American boys. Why am I caring to take the time of writing or sharing this? Because something just happened that reminded me of Goeff and those American boys from so long ago. Something I could only but share.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

One Of Many.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Thomas,

Your friend was one of many, not only in WWII but in many conflicts around the globe and over the years. You have brought your story to a place where it is needed, but I fear it will fall on a few deaf ears.

I got to experience the feeling that many Americans have been gifted with over the decades that we have been our brother's keepers. We were not always right, but we made a wonderful difference in millions of peoples lives.

Those who have been freed by our blood, will never forget the price of their freedom. Those who are born to it, often have no clue as to it's value or cost.

Take care my friend,

Joe
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

as long as their white... huh.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

pip squeaks.......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

pip,

When I said "our blood" it referred to Americans. I did not mention "white", you did. You are the hater here and constantly reinforce that image. It's why you came to this Forum, and why you stay. You carry it with you everywhere you go, which is why you are never able to carry on a normal conversation in any of the forums you intrude on.

Joe Ribaudo
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

intrude? lololololol
oh great an powerful ribadildo...gate keeper of the sacred treasure tale.

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/fot/ohio.htm
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Thomas - I don't know what occured to remind you of that, but it's a nice recollection.

There's alot more I could say and it could be an interesting discussion, but this isn't the place for it.

Take care
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The Right Place......

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Good morning Paul,

[Around the Campfire
FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.]

Unless the conversation get hijacked, I would say Thomas picked the exact right "place" for his story.

Take care,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Wrong Venue.....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Joe,

Please remove my reply to pip, as it was inappropriate for "Around The Campfire".

Thank you,

Joe Ribaudo
Cubfan64
Expert

Re: Wrong Venue.....

Post by Cubfan64 »

Joe Ribaudo wrote:Joe,

Please remove my reply to pip, as it was inappropriate for "Around The Campfire".

Thank you,

Joe Ribaudo
Hi Joe - you misunderstood me. I didn't mean Thomas's post was inappropriate for this spot, I meant the additional things I wanted to say would be.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Correct.....

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Paul,

I was a little slow this morning. :oops: I realized afterwards that what you wanted to say was probably not for this venue.

Take care,

Joe
James Raymond
Greenhorn

A long time ago and far away

Post by James Raymond »

It seems to me, sadly, that only war brings out national pride and patriotism. As a young Marine scout / sniper my partner and spotter was an also young Comanche boy, we were just a couple of American kids scared to death but glad we were together, looking out for each other. I left him over there when we were overrun at Con Thien and miss him today.
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Amazing story Thomas!! Thanks for sharing it.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

My Paternal Grandfather served in France in WW1 and carried shrapnel in his chest and forehead for the rest of his life. My maternal Grandfather fought in WW2 and Korea and survived the Bulge.

I can't imagine what it was like for one young man with a wife and 3 children at home and a young farm boy to go through what they did. It certainly had to change their perspective in life in ways I can never imagine.

I carry those dog tags that made it through the Bulge as a reminder of the sacrifices that were made and those who didn't make it home.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"