The search for Eldorado

FRIENDLY, general interest, non LDM discussions with other forum members.
djui5
Expert

The search for Eldorado

Post by djui5 »

I saw this on PBS last night. It was really neat :)

http://www.pbs.org/conquistadors/orella ... _flat.html

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Dorado

El Dorado (Spanish for "the golden one") is a legend that began with the story of a South American tribal chief who covered himself with gold dust and would dive into a lake of pure mountain water.

El Dorado was also called as "The mystery of the golden man".

The legend originates in the Andes mountain region of present-day Colombia, where conquistador Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada first found the Muiscas, a nation in the modern day Cundinamarca and Boyacá highlands of Colombia, in 1537.

The story of Muisca rituals was brought to Quito by Sebastián de Belalcázar's men; mixed with other rumors, there arose the legend of 'El Dorado' (meaning the Golden Man rather than a place - 'el indio dorado', the golden Indian or 'El Rey Dorado', The Golden King).

Imagined as a place, El Dorado became a kingdom, an empire, the city of this legendary golden king. Deluded by a similar legend, Francisco Orellana and Gonzalo Pizarro would depart from Quito in 1541 in a famous and disastrous expedition towards the Amazon Basin; as a result of this, however, Orellana became the first person to navigate the Amazon River all the way to its mouth.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
CLD
Part Timer

El Dorado

Post by CLD »

Hey Randy...I was just sitting around thinking and started to wonder why the Spanish raiders could never find the lost cities. I seem to remember that they were only able to locate poor adobe villages. I wonder what would have happened when the indians were baking those adobe bricks, if the ovens had been able to produce a higher temperature? Would the Spaniards have found huts composed of smelted electrum bricks instead of just adobe? Silly Spaniards. :D
Shhh...........Ok now bite me!
CLD
Part Timer

El Dorado

Post by CLD »

oops, my bad. :D I just love slang. I guess I was meaning the Seven Cities of Cibola. Still, I wonder what was in that clay!
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Who knows :)

I too wonder why reports came back of them finding the 7 cities. Was it all a big hoax? Or maybe they did find something that no-one else ever found 8O
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
CLD
Part Timer

seven cities

Post by CLD »

Sorry, I have a somewhat annoying habit of being "tongue in cheek" too much of the time. That's what I am told. What I was alluding to was the possibility that there was gold flake in the adobe bricks. It's not without precedent. I was just reading about some adobe in Mexico that was filled with silver.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

i have a theory that there were 7 cities...

since disease and information ran 75 to one hundred years in front of spanish expansion... and reports of spanish greed, the willingness to kill and enslave the people reached el norte...the natives made a decision to hide the gold.
i have no proof...that sure is what i would have done. hide the girls and the gold...throw dirt on the garnets and turquoise...wear uncured skins and smear mud on my face...yep...
djui5
Expert

Re: seven cities

Post by djui5 »

CLD wrote:Sorry, I have a somewhat annoying habit of being "tongue in cheek" too much of the time. That's what I am told. What I was alluding to was the possibility that there was gold flake in the adobe bricks. It's not without precedent. I was just reading about some adobe in Mexico that was filled with silver.
Well that is a very good possibility! Never thought of that.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

Enzo Ferrari