Looking to buy metal detector..

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
ramplead

Looking to buy metal detector..

Post by ramplead »

Any thoughts of a good model to purchase? Also, I may be going to Arizona for vacation, any good publications to check out about lost treasure in AZ? thanks.
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Re: Looking to buy metal detector..

Post by Oroblanco »

Hola amigo,

There are many good metal detectors available today, my vote goes to Tesoro however for their lifetime guarantee and ease of use; get one with auto ground balance and you are literally able to "turn on and go" instead of having to study a thick manual or spend a lot of time fooling with it to get the ground balance right.

There are many good publications on lost treasures in Arizona, for starters I would suggest two by John D. Mitchell

Lost Mines and Buried Treasures along the Old Frontier
<example on Amazon>
http://www.amazon.com/Mines-Buried-Trea ... 936&sr=8-1

and

Lost Mines of the Great Southwest including stories of Hidden Treasures
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Mines-Great- ... 936&sr=8-3

There are many more this is just a sample. This very website has an excellent selection of Lost Dutchman oriented books, just click on "books" link above or here:
http://www.thelostdutchmangoldmine.com/ ... ndex=Books

Good luck and good hunting ramplead, I hope you find the treasures that you seek. I also hope that you will come back and give us an update on all the treasures you find! :mrgreen:
Oroblanco
"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

This probably isn't the best forum to look for lots of advice on purchasing a detector. If I were you, I would go to the forum I linked below and you'll see plenty of different topic threads (some for specific detector brands) where you can ask your questions and get lots more feedback.

Some information you'll want to provide in your questions is:

1) Price range you are looking for
2) What types of things are you looking for? Artifacts, caches, coins, gold prospecting etc...
3) What areas you plan to hunt
4) What your background is as far as metal detecting (novice, etc...)

The more specific information you can provide, the better your advice will be. Keep in mind however that people tend to be VERY loyal to the brand of detector they use.

http://www.findmall.com/
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Post by Oroblanco »

Cubfan wrote
This probably isn't the best forum to look for lots of advice on purchasing a detector.
Well geez Cubfan if you disagree with my recommendations, all you had to do was say so. Don't take my advice; see if I care! :arrow:
Oroblanco
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

No no Oro - I didn't mean it to sound that way. Heck, I have 3 different detectors I use and could give all sorts of recommendations as well, but at least in my opinion it's a good idea to get as much input as possible before making a decision.

Finds treasure hunting forum has so much information there and lots and lots of real time users as opposed to the few that post here - I just thought it would be a better way to get enough input to make a good decision.

I hope to get a Tesoro detector myself one of these days - I had one a few years ago (a gold umax) but it turned out to not be as capable as the one I currently had. I love their idea of a lifetime warranty and they have great customer service - I just need to find one of their detectors that can outperform the ones I have.

Sorry if I came off as being critical - I've really been getting in trouble lately on a number of forums with my comments - seems I'm either stating things without thinking how they will be received, or I really am getting rude in my comments.

My apologies.
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

when i carry a detector around all day...all i get is a sore arm...i find more with my eyes...

and in arizona...detecting is problematic...most of the land is federal or state, and they are a bit pissie about ya diggin' up artifacts.
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Post by Oroblanco »

Cubfan, I was yanking your chain! :mrgreen: Sorry if you thought I was serious.
Roy
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

Oroblanco wrote:Cubfan, I was yanking your chain! :mrgreen: Sorry if you thought I was serious.
Roy
Whew good - I'm not too good at "reading" people online. Glad you weren't annoyed.