Jesuit Waybill

Non LDM treaure hunting and Old West history.
alan m
Part Timer

Jesuit Waybill

Post by alan m »

I came across an interesting story about a Jesuit treasure that I would like to share
In Bolivia in 1903, Dona Corina San Roman describes a letter that her uncle, the Reverend Father San Roman had given her father.
The letter is as follows;
1; If you come upon a steep, densely wooded hill with a flat grass-covered summit and if from this summit you can see the river Sacambaya from three sides, then go and seek among the grasses for a great ovoid stone so heavy that it took the strength of five hundred Indians to place it there.

2; If you dig beneath this stone for a depth of five yards, you will come upon the vaulted roof of a huge cavern which it took five hundred Indians two and a half years to dig.

3; The vault measures seventy yards; there are two doors and a long narrow passage leading from the east room to the main entrance which is two hundred yards off.

4; When you reach the door you will have to take great care in opening it; it is a great iron door and as soon as you are over the threshold you will find a stature of pure gold standing three feet high, with eyes made of two magnificent diamonds. That stature has been set there for the joy of humanity.

5; If you continue along the passage, in the first room you will find thirty-five great bowls of gold and a heap of gold and silver jewelry enhanced with precious stones.

6; Entering the second room you will find in the right-hand corner a great chest with 90,000 dollars worth in silver (silver piastres 910/1000ths pure silver).

7; The greatest precaution must be exercised on entering these rooms, for enough poison has been scattered around to kill off a regiment. Interspersed in the recesses on either side of the tunnel and in the two rooms are sixty-three golden bowls, amounting in value to quite 60 million dollars.

8; The walls of the two rooms have been reinforced with huge blocks of granite; the distance between the roof and the ground is five yards. The ceiling of the vaulted roof is made up of three distinct terraces which were carefully covered over with five yards deep of packed earth and heaped rock. When you reach a place twenty feet high where the path is so wide that two men can ride along it side by side, cross the river and you will come to the church, the monastery and other buildings.

The letter is obviously cryptic and I think that I have deciphered some of it but to keep this post from being too long I will post about that at another time.
Best to all
Alan
djui5
Expert

Re: Jesuit Waybill

Post by djui5 »

Who wants to go to Bolovia? :mrgreen:
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Post by Oroblanco »

djui5 wrote:Who wants to go to Bolovia? :mrgreen:
Put me on your list!
:mrgreen:
"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca
alan m
Part Timer

Post by alan m »

Hello
I am going to provide some of the technique I use to decipher this letter.
My disclaimer is that I do not know if this method is correct and do not profess that I have discovered or solved anything, it is just a curiosity in the way that more information and relationships become apparent.
This is for all who are interested. The first thing to do is to group all specific information from each paragraph.

Paragraph 1, River Sacambaya seen from three sides. This implies that you are at a bend or turn in the river
The number 500

Paragraph 2. Depth 5 yards
Number 500
Two and one half years

Paragraph 3, 70 Yards
Two, east
200 yards

Paragraph 4, 3 feet

Paragraph 5,
First, thirty-five

Paragraph 6,
Second
Right Hand Corner, implies 90 degrees
90,000 and a ratio which implies a distance conversion 910/1000

Paragraph 7,
Two
Sixty-three
60 million or 60,000,000

Paragraph 8,
Two
Five yards
Five yards
Twenty Feet
The Church and Monastery

Next, each paragraph has distinct words. Use these words as grouping indicators.
For Example, each paragraph that has the word Great is a group.
So the paragraphs 1, 4, 5, and 6 should be grouped together.
You do not however group the common units such as five, these are specific distance clues.
The paragraphs that have the word Indians should be grouped, thus paragraphs 1 and 2 are grouped together.
Next group the paragraphs with the word passage.
Thus paragraphs 3 and 5 are grouped.

Continue this until all possible groupings are accomplished; remember to keep the numerical units associated with their original paragraph.

Paragraph 1 and 8 provide two end points for the encrypted route, the common starting point is obviously the Church.
It is impossible to know if this is correct or an encryption since we are not in Bolivia.
But the method of how the Jesuits encrypted key information is what this exercise is about.
I will post more on this as I progress through it. :)
Best Regards
Alan
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Randy and Roy:
Before you go,I recommend you get a copy of "Vacationing in Bolivia-Places to see and things to do" by Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.It's got a great fold-out map that shows all the banks and payroll offices.I also recommend that you leave your "Che Guevara" tees at home. :wink:

Regards:SH.
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Post by Oroblanco »

Somehiker wrote:Randy and Roy:
Before you go,I recommend you get a copy of "Vacationing in Bolivia-Places to see and things to do" by Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid.It's got a great fold-out map that shows all the banks and payroll offices.I also recommend that you leave your "Che Guevara" tees at home. :wink:

Regards:SH.
Muchas gracias por la recommendacions amigo! I was joking really, as much as I would LOVE to go on a search for the lost treasure and lost mines of Sacambaya, I have not even renewed my passport yet so traveling out of our borders would be out of the question for now. I also have promises to keep much closer to the USA in Mexico for a very dear friend of over 20 years, that I must do before heading out to Sacambaya.

Dang it too, I thought at last my chance to wear my 'CHE' shirts proudly had come. :mrgreen:
Oroblanco
"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca