Jacob Weiser's Origin in the LDM Story

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
novice
Expert

Jacob Weiser's Origin in the LDM Story

Post by novice »

Everyone knows that Jacob Weiser was Jacob Waltz's partner but how did this happen and when did we learn of the relationship. (This is a case where I wish I had Steve Creager to mentor me!)

In 1895, P. C. Bicknell's article related that Jacob Waltz had a "Partner". (The Partner was not named)

In 1901, Thomas Weedin's article related the story of the dying German prospector and Thomas Walker. He "loosely" identified the German prospector as the partner of Jacob Waltz. (The Partner was not named)

In 1911-1912, Weedin passed the story along with a map to Bark and Ely. (Again Weedin did not name the Partner)

In 1931, according to Robert Blair, Ernest Douglas, from interviews with Ray and Lizzie Howland, first Identified Jacob Waltz's partner as Jacob Wiser.

I had noted in an earlier thread that I was surprised when we researched the ancestry of Lizzie Howland and turned up with her mother and grandfather having the name of Wiser. It didn't ring any bells at the time as I thought it to be a coincidence that Lizzie had an ancestor named Jacob Wiser and that there was also a Weiser in the LDM story.

Rereading some additional research of Steve Creager it occurred to me that it wasn't a coincidence at all. Ray and Lizzie simply took her mother's last name and created an ancestor named Jacob Wiser who was a partner of Jacob Waltz. This relationship would certainly add credibility to their story and map. Hence the origin of Jacob Weiser!

In the Jim Bark Notes, when he tells the "Dutch Jake Story", he names Waltz's partner as Jacob Wiser. He also identifies the German prospector in the Thomas Weedin story as Jacob Wiser. It is difficult to determine "when" Bark identified Waltz's partner as Wiser but I believe it was when he was assembling and editing his manuscript. Since Bark incorporates the Adolph Ruth story there is no doubt that he was still finalizing his manuscript in the early 1930s. Even though he and Ely were long gone from Arizona they were both corresponding and actively following the story. I suspect Bark was well aware of the Howland's story of Jacob Wiser.

Bark used the Wiser spelling in identifying the partner. It seems to have been left to Ely to put the finishing touches on the story and come up with Jacob Weiser. (Note: If there are earlier references (1953) than Ely, to the name Weiser, I am not aware of them.)

This is simply my personal take on the story. I know that Ray and Elizabeth Howland have their supporters and in fact a friend of mine who I correspond with falls in that category. I'm sure my take is like squeaky chalk on a blackboard and I apologize to him and the others, but it's just my opinion.

Some might say, "Well, what about Jacob Weiss? That's kind of close to Weiser?"

I have not spent much time looking at that version but I believe it is totally unrelated to the Weiser story. and it needs to stand on it's own merit.

It is my understanding that the Jacob Waltz and J. C Weiss relationship was probably uncovered in the 1960s or early 1970s, well after the Wiser story. According to Dr. Glover, Jerry Hamrick, who he referred to as the dean of researchers concerning the Lost Dutchman Mine, uncovered the Waltz mining claims. (One of which later involved J. C. Weiss)

Did Waltz have a partner? Maybe.

Was his partner Jacob Weiser? I would say no but I believe I know where Jacob Weiser originated.

Garry