?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
TGH
Expert

?

Post by TGH »

:?:
Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LDM
Part Timer

Miners Needle

Post by LDM »

LDM
Last edited by LDM on Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
armchair
Part Timer

Miner's Needle

Post by armchair »

I read in one of the Dutchman books that a big chunk of the top of Miner's needle fell off in 1932. The claim then being that it was really Miner's needle rather than Weaver's needle that should have been the starting point for finding the mine.

Can anyone verify the change to Miner's needle?
murphy
Part Timer

Miners Needle

Post by murphy »

Armchair,
Bob Ward actually included a picture in his book of Miner's needle supposedly taken before 1936 when the top was supposed to have fallen off. I am not sure that's what the picture is. I know I have some recent pictures of Miner's needle at the house, but I don't know if they are taken from the same angle. I will check it out when I get home.
murphy
bill711
Expert

minor,s needle

Post by bill711 »

tgh according to the story that I read, Minor found his placer near a cliff shaped like the prow of a ship with a needle rock near by when the indi,s put him on the run? bill 8)
armchair
Part Timer

Top Falling Off

Post by armchair »

Murphy,

That's where I read it! If you can make a comparison it would be interesting. If it was a big fall it seems like it would show up in the local papers at the time.

Shelby
murphy
Part Timer

Miners Needle

Post by murphy »

I have looked through abaout a dozen different shots of Miners Needle from various angles and I can't come up with one that even remotely resembles the Bob Ward photo, even without the top. I tried to post them all to the Member Archive but apparently I am picture impared, will keep trying.
murphy
murphy
Part Timer

Miner's Needle

Post by murphy »

Thanks Joe,
I was able to post the pictures of Miner's Needle from several different angles. Still can't see one that matches the Bob Ward Picture. Anybody else have something that comes close?
murphy
djui5
Expert

Re: Miner's Needle

Post by djui5 »

murphy wrote:Thanks Joe,
I was able to post the pictures of Miner's Needle from several different angles. Still can't see one that matches the Bob Ward Picture. Anybody else have something that comes close?
His picture seems to be over a small hill. The small hill is slightly covering the little nub to the left. That same little nub is on the right in one of your pictures.

What happened to the top of Miners Needle? Did someone blow it off with dynamite?
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
murphy
Part Timer

Miner's Needle

Post by murphy »

Randy,
You may be right, with out that angle it's hard to tell.
murphy
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Where?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Randy and Murphy,

I believe the Ward picture of Miner's Needle was taken from a hill, just above and outside the Wilderness fence line, a little west of north and above the Quarter Circle U Ranch. It was taken facing northeast at an elevation of around 2575'.

Could be wrong, but I think that's a pretty good guess. Anyone else have an idea?

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Needle Picture

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

We should be able to take a short walk from the Don's Camp and find the exact spot where Ward took his picture of Miner's Needle. That assumes, of course, that my guess is correct.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
murphy
Part Timer

Miner's Needle

Post by murphy »

Joe,
I will look forward to that. I am planning to spend a few days in the mountains before the Rendezvous, but I don't think I will get to tht location.
murphy
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Post by Gregory E. Davis »

Gentlemen: Take Bob Wards picture and make a mirror image of it. Then drive out to Hewitte Canyon to Byous Butte. Circle Byous Butte and let me know what you SEE!!. Also I suggest you read Bob Garman's book, Mystery Gold of the Superstitions. See page 46 and 53. Both appear to have been mistakenly printed from the wrong side of the negative. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Not Miner's Needle???

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

Well.....If the picture were of Miner's Needle, pre-1932, it would have been taken from the spot I mentioned......and a lot of dirt had to be shoveled-in around it, since then. :lol:

Does this mean we don't need to take that walk? :(

Greg,

I was at Lake Mead for the weekend. Sorry I missed your call. Think we covered what I wanted to discuss in the PMs.

Take care,

Joe
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Gentlemen: I have not yet received any feedback pertaining to my suggestion about driving out to Hewitt Canyon to look at Byous Butte and then reading Bob Garman's book. Has anyone done so? Cordially, Gregory E. Davis
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Long Distance Look

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Greg,

Without actually going to the area of Hackberry Spring, it seems like a close fit with the Bob Ward picture. Elevation of the photographer was around 3200'.

I assume the peak to the left of Byous, once you reverse the picture, is Roblas. That would also be an interesting side trip for the Rendezvous.

It's hard to believe that Bob Ward just made a mistake here.

Take care,

Joe
bill711
Expert

miner,s needle

Post by bill711 »

WELL, PETIER; I think GREG is saying that you do not know your BS when it,s BACKWARD??? NOW What do you say??? :lol: bill 8)
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill711
Expert

miner,s needle

Post by bill711 »

Now Petier; Instead of making unfounded charges; WHY do you not answer the question?? :lol: That fire,s libel to get your hinder if you are not careful...bill 8)
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Last edited by TGH on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill711
Expert

miner,s needle

Post by bill711 »

Pete I keep my marble in 2 fish tank,s in the window so I can keep my eyes on them. I even have some old indian marbles too! :lol: bill 8)
Gregory E. Davis
Part Timer

Gentlemen; A hint when traveling along Hewitt Canyon. Bob Garman seldom left the mail trail or road. The picture he took of the butte was most likely done near the OLD Hewitt Canyon Road which for the most part followed the creek bottom or just out of the creek bottom. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis