?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Das Picture

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Greg,

My guess is that he parked at Hackberry Canyon, took the trail up towards Hackberry Spring, and as you say....probably did not walk that far.

Getting close?

Take care,

Joe
Roger
Part Timer

John D. Mitchell's Description of Miners' Needle

Post by Roger »

I was re=reading John D. Mitchell's book, "Lost Mines of the Great Southwest" (1933), and read his article "The Miner Expedition" on pages 119-120. On page 120 he writes:

"As the party from Phoenix came along the trail toward home, a SMALL SHARP BUTTE was observed alone the trail. One of the party in jest, said: "There is Miner's Needle!" Since that time the SMALL SHARP PEAK, which is located on the south side of the Superstitions and to the north of Bark's Ranch, has been known as "Miner's Needle". Miner was depending on a LONE SHARP PEAK to identify the placer grounds." (my caps on words).

Mitchell was a very experienced miner and he would not construe the name "sharp peak" to describe Miner's Needle of today with its top knocked off. The photo in Bob Ward's book would more resemble this than today's Miner's Needle. Note that Mitchell's book was published in 1933, prior to Miner's Needle's top falling off in 1935.

Roger
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

:?: