Forum Code of Conduct

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Roger
Part Timer

Forum Code of Conduct

Post by Roger »

A significant number of the Forum members signed up to the following Code of Conduct last year:

1. Mutual respect will govern all postings.
2. No profanity will ever be used in postings.
3. No personal attacts for any reason!!
4. Requests for resource references may be made, but no one's position should be attacked for lack of this.
5. Opinions are valuable.
6. New members are welcomed and understanding used in answering their questions and learning about the LDM.
7. The LDM Forum topics will be focused on the LDM and related Arizona legends.
8. Members will have ONLY one Forum name.
9. Compliments should be used to recoginze members for good research, findings, analysis, etc.
10. ALWAYS HAVE FUN!!!!

The members that signed onto this Code that I have kept track of are:

Roger Newkirk (Roger)
Jim Hamrick
Joe Ribaudo
Jim Hurt (murphy)
Ricardo Ordonez (dutchman49)
Lawrence Wandell (buscar)
Billy Sharp (bill711)
Ben Davis (late49er)
Robert Edison (redison)
Gregory E Davis
Tracy Hawkins
Wayne Tuttle (zentull)
Greg Kaiser (GK_STAR)

For those of us that signed up to this Code of Conduct - - let's live it! For those of you that didn't, please conform to it!

Otherwise, take the personal attacks to the First Amendment Forum where the rest of us won't have to read them.

Roger

Edited to remove "Jan". Copied the list from an earlier posting and forgot to "kill" that one.
Last edited by Roger on Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buscar
Part Timer

The LDM Team

Post by buscar »

The LDM Team: a game of luck that goes hand-in-hand following the Code of Conduct

To whatever degree, it doesn’t seem likely that many of the discussions on this forum offer any chance (rediscovering the LDM) based solely on distribution of events or outcomes.

Where there is no team effort to achieve a purpose, the likelihood that something will happen based on facts rather than thoughts or opinions is less likely to be useful or helpful.

Sadly, there are some who are bating the hook (something that attracts) in hope of trapping or snaring somebody to be a purpose that contributes to their own luck.

What has failed here is, The Most Difficult Thing For An Individual To Do When They’re A Team Is To Sacrifice!

Luck is where Opportunity meets Preparedness!

We all have the right to play the LDM game of luck, but, if it is in a way that conveys extreme annoyance or displeasure, we are lacking the ability, character, or strength required to build a forum that is constructive.

It is our choice to be incapable, or choose Good Teams That Make Our Own Luck.

buscar :roll:
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Roger

Which "personal attacks" are you alluding to? Only "personal attacks" as of late that I could possibly see was Bill calling hikers in 110 degree heat not too bright. Hes correct on that topic.

Unless, of course, you call my pooh-poohing of the "team" concept a "personal attack"? Cant see how as I was just poking fun of the concept and not any person in particular.

Must of struck a chord with someone if the "Code of Conduct" had to be called upon. Course I am not a signatory to that particular document, nor will I be. Kinda amuses me that a supposed adult needs to pledge to "be good"...tho I am sure your intent was to just calm the Forum down.

You might want to edit that Code of Conduct list a bit...as we know, some of the signatories dont really exist.

P
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Banter

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Roger,

The banter that Peter and I have been exchanging, is without malice. They were not "personal attacks" of the nature that prompted you to instigate the "Code of Conduct", as far as I know.

Hate and jealousy seemed to be the prime motivation for our earlier attacks. I don't see that kind of malice in our recent exchanges. Perhaps you see it another way, but that is not our problem here.

No two people will see the same events with exactly the same perception as to what actually is taking place. Peter and I will disagree on just about everything, but I doubt we will ever sink to the low point we reached in the past.

Peter and I are OK with our relationship, perhaps the wrong word, :lol:
and I doubt we are having much effect on the good will of the Forum.

I respect your efforts to keep the peace. It's a thankless job, but it's good to know that someone like you is trying.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Yup, Blessed are the Peacemakers etc, etc.......

PS

Ya missed one.....
Roger
Part Timer

Which One?

Post by Roger »

Peter,

OK, I'll bite - which one?

Roger
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Redison

He was one of the saner personas.......
bill711
Expert

code of conduct

Post by bill711 »

Roger, tgh, Joe, walker; When I said it was dumb, and stupid to tell the type of things some members did in the sup,s and did them so casualy, I was thinking about how some of the readers would just glance at their notes and think that THEY can do the same thing,s without the LARGE knowledge of facts that tgh, walker and others have of the area. Some people have these abilities and some do not BUT will NOT take the precautions to make it out alive and just get themselves in bad trouble. I have no fuss or argument with any member on the forum. When I said what I did I had NO ONE in mind at the time NOT tgh , joe or walker. Period. bill 8)
walker12
Part Timer

Post by walker12 »

While two posts about hiking in the heat isn't much of a rant, I too am back to normal mode with no hard feelings.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Heated Debate

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

I did not take your post's personally, as I have never hiked nor advocated hiking the Superstitions in the summer. There were plenty of warnings in our posts. It would seem.......not enough. :)

Take care,

Joe
bill711
Expert

the code

Post by bill711 »

Joe, Walker hell everybody else too; I will try this once so you will understand where I am coming from. I will use Peter and his confessed error in judgement. Peter starts at point A with 1 canteen of water when he knows better? I hope? He,s going to point B and back to point A. He admitts he made an error in judgement and ran out of water and just made it back to point A on his hands and knees with his tongue swollen up so bad that he didn,t think he was going to make it. NOW there are alot of foolish people out there who will only read and see or pay heed to the fact that he made it back. They will not understand the CONDITION that he made it back in. They will only see that Peter made it so they and everyond else can make it too. They are foolish people that the warning will go right over their heads they will not heed them and some will drag other people into bad situation with them too. bill 8)
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Well actually I started out around 530 am with a canteen of water and 2 two-liter bottles in my pack. It wasnt so bad on the way in, I hit Charlyboy about noon or so, sucked down a two liter bottle on the way in and then some. Climbed the Charly boy trail above the spring and rather than staying overnite or tapping into some of my water caches in the area, which I should have done, decided to just hike back to the trailhead. I still felt strong had a full canteen left and figured it would take me 3-4 hrs. The water was gone by the time I was atop Bull Pass. My feet hurt like hell, the rocks reflected back the heat into my face etc etc. Once it was 2-3pm it was wicked with the sun. I was able to get some water out of the local flora enough to make it back in one piece, but the last 1/4 of the trip was all hell. Lost 15lbs that day. I did it, survived and wont do it again. I probably have more endurance than alot of folks, but that stretched me to my limits.
Roger
Part Timer

Prospectors of the 1880's

Post by Roger »

The men who prospected the desert areas of Arizona, Nevada, and California in the late 1800's were a hardy breed. A hot Arizona summer did not deter them at all from spending months in the interior of the Superstition Mtns. Here are a few newspaper articles of the time that show their activities:

Phoenix Daily Herald - June 29, 1892, Page 1, Col 2
W.S. Thomas and Charley Brown left yesterday for a prspecting trip in the Superstition nountains. They will be gone the entire season, unless they should make a "strike". They are veteran Colorado mining men and will give the section they are going to a thorough search. From all reports they have a chance of striking something exceptionally good, and may return millionaires.

Phoenix Daily Herald - Aug 22, 1892, Page 3, Col 3
Dan Monroe who has been in the Superstition mountains for some weeks on a prospecting trip, has returned. He says there are quite a number of prospectors in there this season and that a good many really rich prospects are being found. He is of the opinion that in that section will yet be found some exceedingly rich prospects.

Arizona Daily Gazette - June 2, 1893, Page 2, Col 1
Tom and Robert Goodwin left this morning for the Superstition mountains on a prospecting tour. The numerous reports of the mountain being covered with the precious metal having attributed them thither to see if they theymselves can be fortunate enough some of the hidden wealth. (typed as origninally written)

Arizona Daily Herald - Aug 2, 1899, Page 8, Col 3
J.A. Marshall and W.L. Pinney left last evening bound for the Superstitions where they expect to find the "Lost Dutchman".

These guys were in the Supers on calendar dates that I certainly would not venture in there. One observation I would note - the real "die hard" Dutch Hunters go into the Supers in the dead of the summer because there are hardly any "tourists" hiking then and the Forest Service is pretty much absent also. Not part of my game plan!

Roger
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Roger

As I have said before...men were men back then. How did Deering arrive in AZ? He walked...from Colorado. How did Waltz go into the mountains..he walked from Phoenix. etc etc. Folks couldnt help but be in better shape way back when.

If one had water cached and took it easy in the summer time during the hottest times of the day, he would be ok. However, the one thing that keeps me out, that I just can not stand, are the flies and bees. Every other palo verde or juniper is filled with bees and the flies just dog you non-stop...drives me nuts. Cant stand em. I'll wait till the fall..the LDM will still be there anyways....
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Flies an Bees?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

"the flies and bees"? :? What's next.....Pygmies with squirt guns? :lol: Ruined my whole image of you...., like Rambo getting out a box of band-aids. :cry: Next thing you know, a few drops of rain will have you running for the ladies room. :lol:

I would suggest you never take a vacation in Alaska.....least not in the summer time. :roll:

You had to know that was coming. :)

Respectfully,

Joe Vinegar
bill711
Expert

the code

Post by bill711 »

Peter; are they really flies or them damned old buffalo nat,s . These are what we have taking the place of mosquito,s around here! They are the worst , they are on the same level as the tick,s and chiggers...they will bite thru your clothes. Bill 8)
Wiz
Expert

Post by Wiz »

Well.
I see the code of conduct has gone the way. No surprise who fired the first sarcastic shot.
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

These guys dont bite, just like crawling in the ears and nose. Dont know about any image to uphold, but I am not a big fan of some creepy crawlies.
I'm a big chicken, when confronted with various "chiggers" I generally just scream and run away...not very heroic, but the chiggers havent gotten me yet.......
murphy
Part Timer

Forum Code of Conduct

Post by murphy »

Wiz,
The Forum Code of Conduct was suggested to keep personal attacks and other slanderous remarks out of this forum and let us continue to discuss the LDM and related subjects in a civilized manner. Light hearted banter is not a violation of this code, and helps the conversation lively. Please don't try and stir up trouble where there is none.
murphy
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Buggs.....Ugh

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

Actually....I'm kinda with you on this one. :oops:

We were in Albuquerque when the second Alien movie came out. Kept us on the edge of our seats til the end. We came out of the theater, got in the car and left. About that time something was crawling on the back of my neck......damn near had a wreck. Huge ant. :lol:

Take care,

Joe
bill711
Expert

The Code

Post by bill711 »

Peter; You have the regular nats! When I was a kid 12 or 13 yrs. old We boys would go to the fields and pick peas to make us a couple of dollars for the weekend movies. The pea patch,s were always planted in the bottoms " level flats" by the river. The nats when you reached down for a handful of the peas would just come boiling out of the flora and get in all of your orifices eyes ears nose etcetra. I know what you mean about the mizery. No fun there or no gold either. :lol: bill 8)
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

Bill

See any Wood Apes down there? They seem to habitate some of the bottomlands in eastern OK........

P
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Gigantos

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Peter,

I fear you may have just called forth our resident Gigantos expert. God save us all! :roll:

Respectfully,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Nats?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

Seems a bit personal to be talking about another man's nats. Are you a doctor? :lol:

Take care,

Joe
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

>>I fear you may have just called forth our resident Gigantos expert.<<

Dont think theres alot of folks on the forum who know more about this subject than I do......