Discovering the Lost Dutchman

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Sam Brannan
Greenhorn

Discovering the Lost Dutchman

Post by Sam Brannan »

There are literally hunderds of 'clues' to the LDM's location. I'm sure a few are true and most are not. In my opinion, one clue that has a high probability of being true is the one that says the mine's adit has been walled up and covered over. Most descriptions of the mine agree on this point.

My question is: If someone was either skilled enough or lucky enough to stumble upon a walled up and covered over adit, how could you prove it was the LDM without getting caught?

Unless you had a small army, it couldn't be uncovered and opened in a single night. I'd hate to get caught by the federales and be a victim of the head case sheriff you have down there, with his pink zoot suits and living in a tent in 120° heat!

Sam Brannan
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Head Case?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Sam,

You were doing just fine, until you called Sheriff Joe a "head case".

Your first clue would be to see how the man just keeps getting re-elected down there. He's a legend, not only in Arizona but in a good part of the rest of the nation.

Those who vist Joe Arpio don't look forward to their next meeting. That's just the way most of us think it should be, unless you belong to the ACLU or spend your vacations and weekends behind bars. :)

The rest of your post was spot on.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Sam Brannan
Greenhorn

another question

Post by Sam Brannan »

Joe

>>...unless you belong to the ACLU or spend your vacations and weekends behind bars.<<

Nope to all of the above. I have a great adversion to playing a real life lead role in the razor wire version of "Brokeback Mountain." 8O

That does bring up another question, however. Since, "That's just the way most of us think it should be," why even search for the LDM since it would require breaking the law to verify its discovery?

Sam Brannan
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

There are possibilities as the HEAT dig has shown us. Also there is some weight that would favor the fortunehunter if they made the right contacts or looked for the right support. I believe this would favor a local more so than someone out of state. This site alone I believe gives the right person, the right place to start. I have kept a number of phone #s and addresses just in case I run across something I believe is beyond my understanding or means. I don't believe I am being naive, but there are plenty here who would be very supportive if the evidence was there.

As far as Sheriff Joe, The man could be Governor if he decided to run. His support here is incredible. I voted for him in the past and will continue to do so. All I have to remember is Jerry Hill and the problems in the days before Joe.
Sam Brannan
Greenhorn

my mistake

Post by Sam Brannan »

Joe, Zentull,

I've reconsidered my earlier statement about your sheriff, Joe Arpio. It was inappropriate to include that statement in my earlier post. My opinion was formed by an old friend's horror story of being held for 90 days for extradition on a Nevada bench warrant that isn't extraditable. In any event, that comment was inappropriate in this forum and would have been better placed in the "First Amendment" forum. I'm sorry for my mistake, and I withdraw the comment.

While I'm not a local, I'm also not just your basic California a$$____. I lived in Tucson for many years before moving back to CA 15 years ago. If I hadn't been laid off back then, I'd still be living there.

In those days my interest centered on Padre Escalante's lost mine. This mine too, is located within a wilderness area. At that time I was told by an attorney that the courts have ruled the reopening of an old mine shaft or adit constitutes mining not prospecting, and is therefore illegal in an area set aside by the wilderness act. I was just wondering if anyone had a plan for getting around those legal precedents. Looks like my best bet is to buy a cheap trailer in AJ and partner up with Joe Arpio. 8O

Sam Brannan
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Class Act

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Sam,

It's always a "Class Act" when someone apologizes for an imagined slight. There was no reason for you to do it, but it speaks well for you that you felt compelled to.

Lots of folks don't like Joe Arpio. Most of them also would like to give the bad guys more rights/slack and law enforcement more restrictions. Some of us tend to notice those kinds of things.

Sorry to hear you were forced back to California. That happened to me a number of years ago and we had to leave Vallecito Lake in Colorado :( :( :( :(

If you have ever been there, you will understand why all the tears.

I will never be forced back to California again. At least you are in a nice area.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
Sam Brannan
Greenhorn

I have my moments

Post by Sam Brannan »

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words. Things could be worse. I could have been forced to move to Texas. :)

My big problem with California is I remember how it was when I was a kid and there were only a quarter as many people. Since then all kinds of a$$_____ have moved here from somewhere else and ruined the place.

In the middle of Trout creek meadows at South Lake Tahoe there's a big chunck of diorite 100 ft long, 30 wide and 15 high. It's the only rock in the meadows. The Washoe Indians camped there for hundreds of summers. It's covered with grinding holes of various depths. Before last summer, it's been twenty years or more since I've been there. This spot, sacred to the Washoes, is now covered in spray paint and broken beer bottles. I wish I never went back there and could remember it how it was...

Sam Brannan
Roger
Part Timer

Texas

Post by Roger »

Please be careful with the comments on Texas!!

Roger
Sam Brannan
Greenhorn

never could finish that 75oz steak in Amarillo

Post by Sam Brannan »

Oh no, there's a Texan here!

Texas is an enigma. Her sons have fought as bravely as any in the U.S. to secure all our freedoms, save one. The freedom to insult Texas. In honor of their great sacrifices made for all of us, I pledge not to post here a harsh word toward Texas.

Sam Brannan

(actually it's not so much Texas I don't like, as it is a couple of the recent politicians she's produced).