Section 16

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Potbelly Jim
Part Timer

Section 16

Post by Potbelly Jim »

Hello all,

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I'm looking for any actual records pertaining to the ownership of the NW qtr of section 16 (the quarter section immediately to the west of Waltz).

My grandmother lived on that section for many years, at 964 E. Cocopah... which is ~ 1000 yards from where Waltz's homestead is believed to be. I'm interested in who "claimed" this quarter section. Understanding that section 16 wasn't available for claim under the Homestead Act, but it's obvious people, including Waltz, were squatting there, paying taxes, etc. in order to lay claim to the land by possessors rights.

I've seen it said that Andrew Starar claimed that section, which was immediately due south of the section he claimed through the Homestead Act. This property "might" have been held by Jake Starar after Andrew's death.

I've seen a record at the Co. Recorder's office where Jake Starrar sold the northern half of this qtr section to Henshaw. I also have a 1903 assessor's map that shows Henshaw in possession of the northern half, and a "JL Gant and Fred Baluz" in possession of the southern half. My grandmother's old house sits right on the edge of the Northern and Southern halves of this quarter section.

So those are the only records I've seen so far...anyone know of any additional records? I'm interested in who owned it in Waltz's day. Thanks, Jim
Jim R.
Potbelly Jim
Part Timer

Re: Section 16

Post by Potbelly Jim »

Here are some graphics to help visualize the area:
Section 16.jpg
1930 Waltz Area Sec 16.jpg
And the Starar to Henshaw sale agreement in 1882:
J Starar to A Henshaw Sec 16 NW Qtr 17AUG1882.pdf
(253.37 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
Jim R.