Once Upon A Time In Arizona ...

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
S.C.
Part Timer

Draft

Post by S.C. »

I have a little bit of information I'd like to share.What Aurum wrote about the “draft” first appearing in Phoenix in 1928 is consistent with what I have researched myself. However, I was not directly aware of that fact. I will elaborate.

The story – to me – began in the late 1940s when the Dons Club of Phoenix staged a publicity stunt by making a trip to see President Truman – and along the way to promote Phoenix and Arizona. One of the stops they made was Joplin, MO. There was a woman who lived there named Laura Branstetter Midddaugh. Laura read of the upcoming visit of the Dons before their arrival and was able to make herself part of the welcoming committee that met the Dons. This committee also included the mayor of Joplin.

Laura Middaugh’s claim was that she was the great niece of Jacob Waltz, the Dutchman. When she told the Dons her story they hardly believed her - as her claim contradicted what was then known of Waltz. However, they humored her and invited her to come out to Phoenix and attend the next Dons Trek. Laura presented to the Dons some things supposedly supporting her claim. One item of which was a map supposedly given to her family ancestors that showed the location of the mine. This was one item of many that she had which she received from an uncle on her mother’s side who passed away in 1922. Laura was not married to William Middaugh – her then current husband – when her uncle died. She was married to a different man. However, Laura had kept the documents and did nothing with them (or so was the story she told) until the Dons showed up on their way to DC. Subsequently the Dons went on their way and Laura resolved to go with her husband to Phoenix to take up the Dons on their invitation. (This story is related in Greg Davis’ manuscript, “A Don in Washington.”)

The following March, Laura and her husband made it to Phoenix. Unfortunately along the way she let some things slip and her trip in itself turned out to be a media event. Papers carried stories with titles like “Gun Toting Grandmother Vows to Find Lost Dutchman or Die Trying.” Unfairly, they made her out as a character and no one took her story seriously.

In Phoenix, Laura asked about descendants of other pioneer families who might have known about Waltz. She met with many individuals including members of the Roberts family. They thought Laura was honest and her intent was simply to find out about a relative. She did not give the appearance of being the hard-boiled seeker of the LDM the papers made her out to be. It was my understanding that she showed many individuals various documents she had received from her deceased uncle. This included letters and maps and other documents – including the draft. The documents, to those that saw them, appeared to be genuine.

Laura then went on her way and received more negative publicity and eventually succumbed to a business deal that fell apart on troubled grounds. Having no recourse, she disappeared and, in humiliation, she crawled under a rock to hide. To this day, because of the way she was treated, many in the family are still leery of the whole LDM affair.

Later, in the 1960s, a daughter of William Middaugh by the name Dorothy Middaugh (a daughter by a marriage prior his marriage to Laura Branstetter) showed up in Phoenix more or less retracing her step-mother’s foot steps from years before. Dorothy ended up meeting with some of the Roberts family and other individuals. This is recorded in Ms. Corbin’s book. Dorothy then had a copy of the draft that she showed to some people.

Since then, the items that Laura had possessed related to Waltz went to the Middaugh family – the family of her last husband. However, some of the things she had were shared with some of Laura’s family – the Branstetter line and descendants thereof. One of these individuals had a Xerox copy of the draft that looks essentially the same as the one in Ms. Corbin’s book. Because it was passed around among many people in the family, I am not sure of whom it originated with. It could have been from Laura herself or from a researcher who came into contact with the family in the past.

I was not aware of the photos taken of the draft by the Henshaw family, but as I indicated it is consistent with what I know. Because tradition holds in the Branstetter family that there was another Branstetter – prior to Laura – who had done some researching into the LDM. Since Laura came up with these documents when her uncle passed away in 1922, that would have been the earliest date anyone in the family could have done anything. Laura was not married to William Middaugh then, but was married to another person who very well could have convinced her to share the information with himself and/or some other family members. At this time I have on-going research in the works that relates directly to her husband at that time in the 1920s. However, since it is still a sensitive matter and until some things are resolved, I cannot elaborate too much about the matter. However, I do feel that in regards to the photos the Henshaws took of the draft that her husband was not part of the group that appeared in Phoenix in 1928. He perhaps did later himself investigate the LDM. But the particular meeting probably involved another member of the Branstetter family who was closely related to Laura. This could be the individual the family mentioned that was involved with the LDM prior to Laura’s efforts in the late 1940s. So, the report of the Henshaws involvement and seeing the draft is consistent with indirect information I have received.

I do not want to appear to be withholding information – but until I resolve some things, I do not want to engage in speculation. My plan is to write an article for the “Superstition Mountain Journal” soon that will be about Laura Branstetter. However, out of respect to the Journal itself, the article will only deal with facts – speculation and assumptions will not be present. Though there are some things I cannot discuss openly now, I assure the members of this forum nothing I know, or am aware of, relates to the location of the LDM itself. It is all simply family history and who did what when. Regardless of whether or not it can ultimately be shown Laura was indeed related to Waltz, the fact is SHE herself is now part of the history of the Superstition Mountains. There is a tale to be told about her and the things she did.

Steve Creager
TGH
Expert

Post by TGH »

well done Steve-o.

P
Aurum
Part Timer

Transmitting Draft.

Post by Aurum »

XX
Last edited by Aurum on Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Good Stuff

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Steve,

Great posts from Aurum, Knun and yourself. I believe the three of you have given the forum just about everything that could be considered relevant concerning this draft. The conclusions are all spot on.

Thanks to all three.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
redison
Part Timer

Post by redison »

I have an article from the March 26, 1947 Vol 34 Number 7 issue of Pathfinder News Magazine that fits very well with everything Steve wrote above.

TC ASKEY
Part Timer

Once Upon a Time In Arizona

Post by TC ASKEY »

S.C.

Do you know if the Dons Club or anyone else you mentioned recieved a copy of the map that was left to Laura Middaugh by her uncle ?
TERRY - Update your email address. Current one is dead and you will not receive notices.
S.C.
Part Timer

Maps

Post by S.C. »

The Dons did not. Greg Davis specifically followed that tangent.

I do not believe any of the descendents of pioneer-era Phoenix - that Laura met - were previlegde to obtain copies.

Some individuals saw the "maps" (there were supposed be three altogether) - but no one had copies made. My understanding was that the maps each showed part of the way to the mine. And without understandable instructions, the maps meant nothing. In other words, no highly visible markers like Weavers or Miners Needle and a big "X" draw on it. So, the maps were pretty much like all other maps. Nothing specific enough to put a spade to the ground.

I believe the Dons only saw one map.
S.C.
Part Timer

Article

Post by S.C. »

The article redison posted was typical of the type of press the Middaugh's received. Most photos of Laura and William were posed and contrived. Photographers often brought along their own props and stuff to make the pictures more interesting and suited the type of articles papers seemed to want to write about Laura. Thanks, redison, for posting that.

Note the article refers to Jacob Walz. That is an error on the papers part. No doubt due to other incorrect printed literature involving the Lost Dutchman Mine. The Branstetter family always referred to their Jacob as Jacob WALTZ.
redison
Part Timer

Post by redison »

S.C.

You are welcome Steve, I have a lot of that sort of stuff that I will be posting on this site as the subjects come up. Yard Sales and Flea Markets have been good to me in that way.

redison
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

Maps

Post by TC ASKEY »

I would be curious to know if the 3 maps you speak of look anything like the 3 maps Glenn Magill recieved from Erwin Ruth.
TERRY - Update your email address. Current one is dead and you will not receive notices.
Aurum
Part Timer

Middaugh articles.

Post by Aurum »

XX
Last edited by Aurum on Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

News Media

Post by TC ASKEY »

It would seem that the news media has not changed much in the last 58 years. And that is even more disgusting.
santos
Greenhorn

Post by santos »

regarding the obvious truth of what aurum just posted concerning the activities of the press, was it true that sims ely was a newspaper reporter also at some time in his life?im not sure if i read that on one of the earlier posts on here or not. maybe im wrong.
S.C.
Part Timer

Post by S.C. »

Terry,

One of the maps that Glenn Magill received was the "Peril Mapa." The Dons supposedly saw one of Laura Middaugh's maps. They later saw a copy of the "Perfil Mapa" in Washington when they finally arrived there as the end of their publicity trip. While in DC they met with Erwin Ruth. And he gave them a copy of the "Perfil Mapa." They did not seem to think it was the same as what Laura had. So, at least one of the maps was not one of the ones Glenn Magill used.

Steve
TC ASKEY
Part Timer

Info.

Post by TC ASKEY »

Steve,

Thanks for the information. I was just curious. Now we know for sure.

Terry
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Sims Ely

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Santos,

It looks like no one wants to answer your question concerning Sims Ely.

I am a big fan of Mr. Ely, and have spent a little time learning just who he was.

Ely, was born in Overton County, Tennessee. He attended the College of Commerce in Bloomington, Illinois. I have never heard that he was ever a reporter, but that would seem likely, as he was editor of a newspaper in Hutchinson, Kansas. He also became the owner, editor and publisher of the Arizona Republic in Phoenix.

Created in 1890 and originally named "The Arizona Republican", the paper was a "political" arm of the Republican Party in Arizona.

The subsiquent owners make a nice "who's who" in the early history of the State.

Sims was a hard man, living in hard times. He made a few enemies and a lot of friends. Not always a great man to work for, he was as honest as the day is long. He was a man of extreem moral values, and believed he was always right.

His history in Arizona is just a small part of who the man was. Here is a quote from "Hoover Dam: An American Adventure" by, Joseph Stevens:

"Secretary of the Interior Ray Lyman Wilbur decided Boulder City and the Boulder Canyon Project Federal Reservation would be run by an appointed city manager. He wanted 'a highly skilled administrator, an executive who was supremely self-confident but not openly arrogant, a leader combining the attributes of firmness, impartiality, and incorruptibility, an authority figure who could command total respect without being hated or feared.'" (Emphisis in bold by Joe)

Sims Ely has taken a bit of a beating, along with his book, a number of times in this forum. I don't believe "disgusting" was one of the listed requirements from the Secretary of the Interior when he hired Ely for the job. He held that job for close to ten years until he retired in 1941.

I believe he died in a Rockville, MD sanitarium in 1954 at the age of 92. If so, that may call into question some of the "signed" first editions of his book, to people living in Phoenix at the time.

There are others here, who will know if I have strayed from the truth in this post. If I have, it was not knowingly.

Respectfully,

Joe Ribaudo
santos
Greenhorn

Post by santos »

joe ribuado,
thanks for your reply. although in an earlier post i stated i didnt want to read any further books on the subject, i did in fact go back on that and got both elys book and a book entitled the killer mountains from the library.I Read elys work and found it enjoyable,however ,having a lot of time on my hands at present, ive tried,in a limited way, to cross check on some of his statements. The conclusions i came to (hopefully correctly) are thius:H is work is seriously flawed.at best. maybe they were genuine mistakes ,i have no way of knowing. a few of the errors/lies/ or whatever include; the trail up bluff springs mt, carefully constructed so as to be hidden from view from below...is indeed nothing of the sort. the doctor thorne story was utter balderdash,i believe,and this is from an outside source, that the flat top mountain he describes isnt anywhere near the area he vaguely described.As for the racetrack ....it really deserves no comment. theres several other questionable events too . Now i know every author indulges in creative writing to a greater or lesser degree.,hence my comparing ely in a way to the journalists involved with the middaugh case.

the author of the killer mountains ,as did dr glover, start his book with the time homnoured method ,usual in these works of stating that he began investigating with the opinion that there was no truth in the legend, but ended up us a believer.In my opinion theres no need to use these methods to increase the "believability" of a story.If there is substance to a tale it will stand on its own merits.
You were indeed the only one to answer the post, i appreciate that.
kind regards
late49er
Part Timer

Post by late49er »

Mr. Ely was a man of integrity. His work may prove to be far more accurate than you can imagine.

Regards
late49er
redison
Part Timer

Post by redison »

9er

I have a pretty good imagination, but I'll be darned if I can imagine where you are coming from or where you are going with that one! Truth be known, it was Ely's integrity that kept him from telling what he knew.

Ely's book in my opinion, is by far the most entertaining book ever written on the subject. But it falls way short of other more recent publications in the presentation of accurate historical documentation of information.

just my opinion,

redison
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Redison,

You said:

"In all fairness I have not really completed "THAT MUCH" reading on the subject. I guess you might say I have merely scratched the surface. I do however know the difference between quality material and information, and run of the mill pulp and fiction when I see it."

And now you say:

"Ely's book in my opinion, is by far the most entertaining book ever written on the subject. But it falls way short of other more recent publications in the presentation of accurate historical documentation of information."

It would seem you have done a lot of reading between these two posts.

Santos,

You are correct concerning the book. Ely did not "spill his guts" in the contents. There was a reason for that, as a number of the members have pointed out in the past, Redison being the latest.

Much of what Ely, as well as Jim Bark, wrote, were stories from other sources and did not originate with them. There is a bit of "fill" in most books. Nothing in the book rises to the level of "balderdash". :wink:

Sims does not say: " the trail up bluff springs mt, carefully constructed so as to be hidden from view from below". (Emphasis in bold by Joe)
The "flat top mountain" is in the area Ely describes. It's may, however, not be exactly as he describes it. Late 49'er may want to lead you to that spot. Perhaps he already has.

I am with you on the "racetrack".

Respectfully,

Joe
redison
Part Timer

Re: ?

Post by redison »

[quote="Joe Ribaudo"]Redison,

You said:

"In all fairness I have not really completed "THAT MUCH" reading on the subject. I guess you might say I have merely scratched the surface. I do however know the difference between quality material and information, and run of the mill pulp and fiction when I see it."

And now you say:

"Ely's book in my opinion, is by far the most entertaining book ever written on the subject. But it falls way short of other more recent publications in the presentation of accurate historical documentation of information."

It would seem you have done a lot of reading between these two posts.

Joe,

You Betch'ya!
I have access to a bottomless pit of information.
Bothers you doesn't it? :lol:

redison
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

The "Bottomless Pit"

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Redison,

"You Betch'ya!
I have access to a bottomless pit of information.
Bothers you doesn't it?"

Not in the least. I believe "pit" describes (just about) everything you have passed along here. :lol:

Other than hawking a pamphlet/booklet, I have no idea why you are wasting your time here, again. :? Did you give up on your "pit" in the Supes, or are you just bored spending all of those "proceeds"?

I don't really give much thought to any of your "contributions" here, as there is just not that much to think about. No doubt there are some members who are hanging on your every word. :roll:

Joe
Jesse J. Feldman
Part Timer

reluctant

Post by Jesse J. Feldman »

For Example;

If Ely and Bark were reluctant to come forward with all info they knew and the people they acquired info from, including the Petrasches, did the same then the real story of the L.D.M. is always floating in thin air. Just a thought that is obvious but needs repeating.

There is much to learn from early books, but you have to read from a different perspective than new books. It sometimes seems weird that we can know more about a subject the more time passes.

Respectfully,

Jesse
bill711
Expert

once upon a time in the sup,s

Post by bill711 »

Joe you just can not stay out of trouble can you??? 8O Bill711 8) 8)
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Who, Me?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Bill,

You have been absent for awhile.

I have always been a lightning rod for "trouble". Never one to tap dance around obvious falsehoods, of any breed, I speak my mind. There is a certain type out there that can't take that kind of blunt truth. They want a world which is "kinder and gentler", where everyone gets a pass, no matter what.

In this particular forum, as well as most others, those people would never sign their real name to a post. Those who are polite and knowledgeable don't need to sign a name for their thoughts. That's because they are seldom wrong, and people respect them. Others, who are obvious frauds, have just enough intelligence not to put a signature to their lies. 8O

I am seldom ashamed by what I have said. "Seldom" is the key word there. When I have made a mistake or misspoke, you will find I have no problem admitting my mistake, or apologizing if I have (wrongly) insulted someone.

All of that spells T R O U B L E. :lol:

Respectfully,

Joe