2011 Rendezvous

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
zentull
Expert

2011 Rendezvous

Post by zentull »

The 7th annual rendezvous is scheduled for October 21st,22nd and 23rd of 2011 at the Dons camp.
"Be Careful of What You Do Before A Lie Becomes The Truth"
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Re: 2011 Rendezvous

Post by Oroblanco »

Thank you! We are marking the calendar.
Roy
"We must find a way, or we will make one." --Hannibal Barca
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

Received a call from our Rendezvous friend, Bill Fincham from Wichita, KS the other day. He sounded good, but informed me that he was still battling cancer. Bill was getting ready to go to New Orleans for some treatment. Some good thoughts and prayers going his way would certainly be appreciated.

"The Dutchman" says he is looking forward to the Rendezvous and will definitely be there. He has driven out to the last two events and was a welcome addition. I assume he will bring his son or son-in-law with him.

His, in camp, call to his good friend Baker Looney was a real treat for the Glen Magill/"Killer Mountains" fans.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

i bet that is how the hopi felt when the padre built that church up on third mesa.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Hope all goes well and looking forward to seeing him again.......
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

I'll be there!!!

Oh wait :lol: :lol:
This is gonna be a great year.
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Just Another Reminder..............

The 7th annual Dutch Hunter rendezvous is scheduled for October 21st, 22nd and 23rd at the Dons camp just off Peralta road on the 110th anniversary of Jacob Waltz's death. Our Guest speaker for Saturday night this year is our good friend Bob Schoose. The gate to the camp should be open Thursday afternoon for our out of town guests and other early arrivals. Remember there is no water available at the site, but there are rest rooms on site. All fires must be contained and horses should be kept in the upper camp area adjacent to the entry gate. We have several special guests making their first trip to the rendezvous including Ernie Provence and another guest making his return to the Superstitions for the first time in 45 years.

Our Saturday night campfire has seen such guest speakers as Clay Worst, Dr Thomas Glover, Jesse Feldman, Bob Corbin, Jack San Felice and others. The Friday night campfire will be open to any and all speakers.

Another regular rendezvous trip has been a visit to the Quarter Circle U ranch.

Saturday morning we will be taking a second stab at a hike to Geronimos cave. Last year due to delays we hiked to the Indian cave and the upper Dacite mine. For those interested we will be leaving early and in 2 groups. Previous hikes have included the Soldiers grave in Barkley basin and Chuck Crawfords claims in Barks canyon.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

I won't cause any delays this year - I promise :)
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I already promised Trevor we would leave without you..........
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

zentull wrote:I already promised Trevor we would leave without you..........
I wouldn't blame you after last year, but tell him I'm guaranteeing an early rise Saturday morning and I'll be ready to go.
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

After thinking about it all day, The scheduled hike may change to Whitlows corral, Reeds water and Abe Reids old claims. This is a much easier hike and the added plus is we pass through the Quarter Circle U and the soldiers grave is only minutes away as well. The only real challenge would be the last few hundred yards to Abe's mine, otherwise I believe the trail follows the old road through there and has only a gradual incline.

We would need a few high clearance vehicles to make it into the trailhead from the QCU.

Paul,

If we do this hike, Trevor and I will head to Geronimos cave Sunday most likely.
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

NP Wayne - anyplace I haven't seen yet is good with me. Depending on what other plans I end up putting together I may be able to go with you Sunday - I have such a short time to visit and am trying to pack in so many different things - not sure what I will or won't be able to do, but I'll try.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Eleven days to go for the Rendezvous.

We will have stew for dinner Friday night, served 'til we run out, and biscuits and gravy Saturday morning, 'til we run out. We usually grill steaks Saturday night, bring your own. All other meals are also on your own.

We could use another gas BBQ, so if anyone has one they can load into the back of their pickup, it would come in handy. Otherwise, Ice and firewood.

Any questions?

See you there,

Joe
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

I asked my Arborist for some wood and he deposited 2 truck loads in my front yard! I will bring as much as I can.......took all afternoon just to get it in the back yard.

This year for the raffle Tom Kollenborn has generously donated a copy of his "Chronological history of the Superstition Mountains". This book is pretty much only available in libraries. A few of you may have perused it in the archives at Gregs. It is an awesome reference tool and a very rare collectible to have in a private collection.

If that wasn't enough Lon McAdam has offered a 20X30 original poster print of his as well. I am sure Randy will post a picture of it since I can't find the original email right now.

Thank you to both Tom and Lon for their generosity!

The raffle will take place Saturday night at the main Ramada. Check with Randy on the whole ticket thing........yeah I just stuck him with that again!!!!!

Pretty much I got rendezvous on the brain right now and each morning as I drive out to Gilbert I think about just staying on course for the mountains.

Then I remember my GPS unit behind the seat..........If there were only a few transformers out there!
zentull
Expert

Post by zentull »

Greg Davis has just let me know he is donating a first edition of Sims Ely's "Lost Duchman Mine" as well!!!!

Thank you Greg
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

zentull wrote:Greg Davis has just let me know he is donating a first edition of Sims Ely's "Lost Duchman Mine" as well!!!!

Thank you Greg
Whoa!! Awesome. BTW here is the picture Lon will be donating:

Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

All,

This is my post concerning the Rendezvous on TreasureNet:

Allan,

You could be right, but it took some cahonies for bb to actually show up at the Rendezvous and try to prove his theories. An interesting sideplay was when Alin Tree Horvaka walked up, asked where's he going, and after bb pointed it out said "I'm out of here" and walked away.

Tree had been all over that area and knew the Chuck Crawford story.

It was a great Rendezvous, with more first time old timers, and way more participants than ever before. Many people pitched in with labor, food, water and ice. Ken drove up in a U-Haul truck with all of the above plus a large gas BBQ and his Quad.

I want to thank everyone for lending a hand and making the Rendezvous a huge success. Carolyn made the dip and mom and I made the stew. The home made biscuit's and Italian Sausage Gravy is made by my mom every year. That fare has become a tradition, started at the very first Rendezvous.

Here are a few pictures:

Ken as Sargent Schultz, gave us all a good laugh.

Baker Looney Rattles Joe

Beth.....

A BB Lovefest.

Jack Carlson Examines BB's Map

BB Explains To Greg And Gary..... :icon_scratch:

BB And Beth Get Right.....

Heath (What A Great Guy!) And Baker Looney.

Mr. Bowman....

There will be more pictures to follow. bb was treated with respect and allowed to present his case, just as I said he would. He came back after his hike in, with his young Army buddy and said he was wrong, and the only thing there was a hole in the ground that was full of rocks. I assume that was Crawford's old dig.

Take care,

Joe
pippinwhitepaws
Expert

Post by pippinwhitepaws »

glad you guys had a good time.

it was cold at the other end of the state...
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

I had a good time despite missing Friday night and having to go to bed early Saturday night to make up for it.

I never get enough time to sit around and talk long enough to either old friends or new ones, and with it getting bigger every year it's just that much harder to say hello to everyone I want

If BB thought his hike was a tough one Saturday, he should have been with me Friday! I'm not sure if I'll ever try to tackle West Boulder Canyon again - at least not without a few days to camp and explore.

Had a chance encounter with a mountain lion on the top of Coronado Mesa late in the week and found my first ever "in situ" arrowhead over by Queen Creek with somehiker. Lots of good memories but it's always over so fast.

Came home to over 12" of snow, no power, no heat and the neighbors plow caught our internet/TV cable and ripped it in half and off our house when he plowed.

I'll try to get some photos posted later this week when I have a little more time.

Paul
Somehiker
Part Timer

Post by Somehiker »

Well,I can certainly second all that has been said about this year's Rendezvous by Paul and others who attended.It was by far the largest and most informative of those I have made it down for.Met many old and new friends and logged many hours in conversation,time very well spent,and I may just decide to spend both Friday and Saturday "in camp" next year.
It was a real treat to be able to get out with Paul for a couple of exploratory hikes and I wish that I had been along for his face-off with the Mountain Lion.We had investigated a lion kill site/burial the previous day which may have belonged to the same cat.Paw prints were about 5" across and the cat had dragged the deer up onto a large boulder,before covering it with dirt/grass at the base of the same boulder.
Tim and I did a twelve hour hike to the "bat cave".We were able to get within a mile by using Tim's two seat four wheeler,but from there it was difficult and slow going.The lower 24'- 2 pc. welded steel portion of the ladder has been removed,but the upper 100+ ft. of wooden ladder still remains.It goes straight up into a large crack in the bluff,where it disappears into the darkness.There also appears to be scaffolding built to one side.Looks to be all cedar...not spruce,weathered but still sound.It was not a pleasant place to visit,mainly due to the immense amount of dry bat guano.The guano,like a huge sand dune,spilled out of the 100 yard wide opening and downslope at least 200 ft.It fills your boots as you walk and the dust and smell is overpowering.
We both took lots of pictures and I will post a few more later.
This 5x telephoto shot from right hand side of the large opening.....looking wayyy up.

Regards:SH.
Attachments
way up
way up
Batcave ladder 3.jpg (130.06 KiB) Viewed 56049 times
armchair
Part Timer

Re: Baker Looney

Post by armchair »

Really interesting seeing the pictures of Baker Looney. I remember as a kid, the book on Magill's search was the first thing I ever read about the LDM and there was Baker Looney a few years removed from high school climbing the side of Bluff Spring mountain like a monkey! He found all that stuff that no one since that group has been able to find again...the hidden ridge with trees, the tunnel, the four guard houses, the fallen head.... any chance he talked about that stuff and why subsequent groups have failed to re-locate them?

I was looking at some of the old videos of the LDM that you can find on youtube. I was surprised as one said that many years later in Magill's search he now thought the LDM was an "eighteen mile long vein of gold" that seemed far afield from the logical process he seemed to be following early on...

Shelby
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Shelby,

Baker told me, when asked directly, that most of the stuff in "Killer Mountains" was pure B.S. added by Curt Gentry to help sell his book. Specifically, he said "they found nothing".

Baker is a real gentleman, and I will take his statements to the bank.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo