What REALLY happened to Adolph Ruth?

Discuss information about the Lost Dutchman Mine
Oroblanco
Part Timer

What REALLY happened to Adolph Ruth?

Post by Oroblanco »

Hola amigos,

First, I would like to compliment our compadre Djui5 (Randy Wright) on that excellent article, "In the Footsteps of Adolph Ruth" - well done buddy!

Adolph Ruth
<from Tom Kollenborn's article, see link below>

Now to my question, and this goes out to Djui5 and everyone reading this - what do you think really happened at the end of Adolph Ruth's life? How does it play out, that his remains are found so far from his camp? What do you think about Purnell and Keenan? Do you think they were really "cowboys"? (No one seemed to remember noticing whether they had the usual tools of the trade like lariats, for example.) Did they leave him at the camp, as they claimed, or did they take him up to where he was found? It seems very unlikely that Ruth could have hiked to where he was found, but the two "cowboys" had horses. Did Ruth really give them permission to use his automobile for them to take their girlfriends out on a date in Phoenix?

So what do you think happened, all opinions are welcome including that it was simple natural causes as the Maricopa county coroner concluded, along with any other idea of how it played out - even if complete speculation. Thank you in advance,

For anyone whom has not yet read either of these excellent articles on Adolph Ruth, here are the links,
<In the Footsteps of Adolph Ruth Randy Wright
<http://www.thelostdutchmangoldmine.com/ ... dolph-ruth

<Adolph Ruth; A Sad Tragedy Tom Kollenborn
<http://www.superstitionmountain.info/ch ... 02_09.html

Oroblanco
klondike
Part Timer

Re: What REALLY happened to Adolph Ruth?

Post by klondike »

Poverty, Greed, all the normal things that desperate folks, whether rich or poor, seem fond of.

Ruth was not after the LDM he was after something more refined.

He found it.

The Gold simply moved from one hole in the ground to another.

Ruth well, a part here a part there, who really is counting.

I would get a shovel and head out to boulder canyon. Used to be monuments in front of the covered mine.

Good luck in your efforts.

Klondike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

"I would get a shovel and head out to boulder canyon. Used to be monuments in front of the covered mine."

Since the monuments "used" to be there, can you describe what they looked like? When did you last see them, and did you take pictures?

Are you saying that Ruth went down Boulder Canyon? 8O

Thanks in advance,

Joe Ribaudo
djui5
Expert

Post by djui5 »

Thanks for the compliments Oro! :)
Randy Wright
Hobbiest LDM seeker
Mesa, AZ

"I don't care if it has electric windows. I don't care if the door gaps are straight, but when the driver steps on the gas I want him to piss his pants."
Enzo Ferrari
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

I am sure you remember Eldorado`s post of a few years ago. Not sure I can add anything to his comments.

From the pictures I have seen the monuments had two sight holes that pointed west. Inside the monuments were two Stone Maps that were companions to the maps that are in the public domain.

Imagine that is why the monuments were taken down. Understand someone, probably a local flew a lot of material out of the immediate area.

I would say Ruth went down in Boulder Canyon.

Klondike

"Ruth was going to a covered Peralta Mine in West Boulder Canyon, high up on the east side".

E.
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

klondike wrote:Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

I am sure you remember Eldorado`s post of a few years ago. Not sure I can add anything to his comments.

From the pictures I have seen the monuments had two sight holes that pointed west. Inside the monuments were two Stone Maps that were companions to the maps that are in the public domain.

Imagine that is why the monuments were taken down. Understand someone, probably a local flew a lot of material out of the immediate area.

I would say Ruth went down in Boulder Canyon.

Klondike

"Ruth was going to a covered Peralta Mine in West Boulder Canyon, high up on the east side".

E.

If I understand you correctly, you think Ruth was killed in Boulder Canyon while attempting to reach a Peralta mine in West Boulder Canyon. I do see a slight problem with that theory, but won't belabor the point.

Where, exactly, were the monuments you saw? Can you tell us what year you saw them? If there were additional stone maps inside the monuments, did you look at them and then rebuild the monuments? For those who later found the monuments and took a lot of material away, as a result of finding them, why did they need to tear the monuments down after taking the stone maps? Why did you leave the maps?

I have a hard time remembering all the posts you have given us, as they eventually all run together......identity- wise. Are you saying you have no pictures of the monuments?

Sorry for all the questions, but your posts always leave me, as well as others, wanting just a little more.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

Have to run but let me clarify one of my statements.

Ruth went down in a mine in West Boulder Canyon. In a sense he came out.

Klondike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

I see.....So are you saying you don't have time to answer the rest of my questions and will get to them later? Did you find any of them overly difficult or intrusive?

Anyway, thanks for your reply, :)

Joe Ribaudo
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

Actually neither.

You see Mr. Ruth's courage is all about a missing button.

A very distinctive button.

A button that takes one not to one man but to the poverty and greed of a time.

If you are interested in the truth look at the pictures in the public view and ask why everything official in this matter has left the building.

Perhaps a desperate man had one final gift.

Klondike
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

klondike wrote:Hello Mr. Ribaudo,

Actually neither.

You see Mr. Ruth's courage is all about a missing button.

A very distinctive button.

A button that takes one not to one man but to the poverty and greed of a time.

If you are interested in the truth look at the pictures in the public view and ask why everything official in this matter has left the building.

Perhaps a desperate man had one final gift.

Klondike
Would the button happen to be a campaign button?
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Hello Paul,

The Ruth business takes one to the other side of the looking glass.

The bullet that killed Ruth came from a .44 caliber army revolver. The folks at the Smithsonian had it right.

The locals in Pinal and Maricopa County listed the death as death from natural causes.

I guess death in the Superstitions resulting from a bullet fired from a .44 caliber army revolver is death from natural causes, who knows maybe the mountain lions are packing.

What the locals did not know is there were other things sent to the Smithsonian that lay untouched for years until a bright researcher asked about a button that was difficult to explain.

The button is still there.

A companion button is still in our favorite mine in Boulder Canyon.

At the end of the day this is a local problem and what does any of it matter?

Nothing good can come of this mess so maybe the best thing to do is simply forget it.

Ruth came, he saw, and he did in fact conquer. What he conquered was death. You see even in death he reached out to those who were preoccupied with greed and poverty. I suspect that is what he meant all along.

Klondike
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Mr. Ribaudo,

None of your associates ratted you out.

Pardon my little attempt at humour.

Just for the record there are a number of for a lack of better word Wizards of Oz. All are in different bodies.

To the man they have been committed to one thing protecting the holy.

It really is time to finally say goodbye.

Good luck to you and yours.

Klondike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

Yes, it's probably time to end your story. I would imagine you are exhausted after juggling all those identities and stories for sooooo long.
It's really impossible for you to keep all your story lines straight over so long a period. It has been entertaining watching you dance your way out of some of the more obvious mistakes. It always makes me smile, because I know a new twist has to be created, and you never fail to produce one. Going back and revisiting the Calalus story was something I really enjoyed.

As I have said many times, it's been fun following the trail you have been laying down here. You are a very intelligent man, and have caused me to do what I do best (research) many times. One such bit of research ended with me giving you a surprise call at your office one day.

I have my doubts you will be gone for good, as your job continues to have periods of boredom for you, and this has become your home away from home......so to speak.

Take care,

Joe
Oroblanco
Part Timer

Post by Oroblanco »

Thank you for the replies. I still wonder how it played out, exactly. Was Ruth shot in Boulder canyon, and by whom? We may never know all the answers.
Oroblanco
klondike
Part Timer

Post by klondike »

Mr. Ribaudo,

Now that Klondike has left the building I imagine it would be a good thing to wish you well myself.

When was it we spoke? Seems like it was about 4 years ago. Have to say a lot has happened since then.

I have enjoyed posting for my friends but sometimes you might want to consider the possibility that what you know is exactly what it was intended you know.

You may also want to consider what Late said a long time ago, and that is that everything has happened just about as we reported only the timelines are a bit suspect.

Oz and Calalus did exist and you can take that to the bank. I personally have stood in the other and seen the map room which is the harbringer of everything the Stone Maps claim to represent. The remnants of Calalus are still there for those who can see. The valley and small river that cuts through the center of the city that was is well breathtaking.

Good luck to you and yours. Who knows Wickenburg is a small town and frankly I am about worn out. If you ever find yourself there we shouldn`t be hard to find. The town is crawling with Gatekeepers.

Take Care

Oroblanco,

Obviously the folks that were a part of this are no longer in the building. I know the truth on that subject is in fact posted on this web site somewhere.

Having said that the Federal Reserve in New York has some fascinating records regarding several large gold transactions that took place in 1933.

Ben
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Ben,

It's been obvious from the start that all the posts were coming from the same computer, just as it's been obvious that you were telling us what you wanted us to know. It was my friend Dave Leach who pointed out that all the posts were from the same computer, as I didn't have a clue.

As I posted here, after we talked, you came across in our conversation as very intelligent and sincere in your belief of the stories you were telling us. That sincerity did not change my opinion of the veracity of what you were posting. Too many broken promises and false statements left no room for the blind acceptance that your tales required. 8O

While I pulled your tail a few times about that, I didn't really care after awhile. The only thing of importance was the story you were trying to spin. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I am a fan of your fantasy and would probably buy the book. It would, of course, need to be a signed copy. :)

Take care,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Oroblanco wrote:Thank you for the replies. I still wonder how it played out, exactly. Was Ruth shot in Boulder canyon, and by whom? We may never know all the answers.
Oroblanco
Roy,

Most likely, Adolph Ruth was murdered or abducted from his camp. I say abducted because when his skull was found, there were still bits of putrefying flesh attached to it that attracted flies. It's likely that his body was not out there more than a few months.

Also, Ruth probably could never have hiked anywhere near the area his skeleton was found. Because of his fall in Anza-Borrego Desert, the plate and screws in his leg left him a semi cripple. If you wonder just how infirm he was, read the last letter to his family that was found with his effects:

"My Dear wife and Children,

Yesterday, Saturday June 13, Mr Purnell and Jack Keenan and I rode three burros and two carried tent, bedding, fifty pounds of flour, 10 pounds of sugar, coffee, etc. I RODE MY BURRO UNTIL WE GOT TO THIS WATER. I DIDN'T GET OFF BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID I COULD NOT STAND ON IT AGAIN. Purnell and Keenan both got off their mounts and walked. It sure was rough, sometimes straight up and down. Several times my burro slid down stiff legged and from six to ten feet.
We left the ranch at 6:30 am and arrived here at 10 am. We at once put up the tent and my bed. Everything else was put on the ground. I WAS TOO TIRED AND ACHING TO DO MUCH. MY LEGS HURT SO MUCH I COULD HARDLY STAND UP..............................................................................."

That is enough. You can see that even though he didn't get off his burro for the ride in, his legs were still aching too badly to walk. Doesn't sound like the kind of man to hike up Boulder Canyon.

Best-Mike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Hi Mike,

When a man does not ride on a regular basis, it's not unusual for him to be in severe pain at the end of a long ride into the Superstitions, or anywhere else for that matter. There have been times when I wondered if I would be able to stand or walk after a seven or eight mile ride into the mountains.. Like Adolph Ruth I did manage and I was climbing thousands of feet the following morning.

Ruth hiked into the mountains many times while waiting for Bark to return. It was the hottest part of the year. He always managed to make it back to the ranch, without anyone having to come after him. Many people claim that 1931 was not his first trip into the Superstitions.

Adolph Ruth had.......attitude, which is a major factor in survival. You may want to rethink his physical abilities. After all, it took a bullet through his head to stop the man.

Take care,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Hey Joe,

While that is true, there is a difference between saddle sore and not being able to stand up. Remember, in his own words, Keenan and Purnell walked in while he rode his burro. He never got off his burro. Seems to me that if he was in passable condition to hike up Boulder Canyon, he could have easily footed it partway at least. You also don't have a steel plate and screws holding your leg together.

Also, I haven't seen anything concrete that Ruth had been hiking in the Supers before, and I don't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that Ruth's body was found with camp slippers not hiking shoes/boots. I can't remember where I read that, but I do remember it. I'll try and find it if you can't think of it.

Best-Mike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mike,

"While that is true, there is a difference between saddle sore and not being able to stand up."

There is also a difference between "not being able to stand up" and "I WAS TOO TIRED AND ACHING TO DO MUCH. MY LEGS HURT SO MUCH I COULD HARDLY STAND UP"

He did get off the mule, walk around and finish setting up his camp. He was looking forward to exploring the next morning.

It's no surprise that Ruth was suffering from the effects of that long ride into the mountains. On the other hand, I have no doubts that he did not hike up to the backside of Black Top Mt.

Take care,

Joe
Mike McChesney
Expert

Post by Mike McChesney »

Joe,

One other thing;

Do we know exactly how long he was in camp after he wrote that letter? In the letter he says nothing about walking anywhere, but if his legs were that sore and aching, it would take a while to be in hikeable condition.

Mike
Joe Ribaudo
Expert

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Mike,

I am at work right now, but I believe Ruth said he was going to put his camp into shape and would do some exploring the next day. I would assume that by the time he wrote the note, it was pretty late in the day. He knew he would be recovered by the next day.

Take care,

Joe
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

Hi,

The bullet that killed Ruth came from a .44 caliber army revolver. The folks at the Smithsonian had it right.

The locals in Pinal and Maricopa County listed the death as death from natural causes.

I guess death in the Superstitions resulting from a bullet fired from a .44 caliber army revolver is death from natural causes, who knows maybe the mountain lions are packing.

UNQUOTE

Hold fast a moment.....Unless there is proof of that statement that has come to light in recent years its misleading to state as fact that Ruth was murdered..or that the holes in his skull were the result of bullets..let alone the actual calibre etc. That is speculation....educated speculation maybe,but speculation none the less.
I believe this has been discussed a few years back in some detail here,and in the end it boiled down to likelihoods and probabilitues..not certainties.
I remember Hrdlickas statement being studied almost word for word and the number of "possibly" and "probabilities" and "in all probabilities" that that statement contained.If I recall correctly Hrdlicka wrote at various stages in his report that the shot PROBABLEY came from a SHOTGUN OR a high powered rifle,then changing it to PROBABLEY (that word again) A PISTOL....those conclusions,such as they were, were only of course a case of "in all probabilty".
The opinions of the authorities can hardly be dismissed out of hand,be they right or wrong, either.So we are left with ,as I said speculation....guess work..or at best a conclusion based on likelihoods..nothing more.
All this other cryptic stuff is fine in its own way....but why not cut out the B.S and stick to what is known..not what is assumed. :lol:
Don update your email address
don
Part Timer

Post by don »

:lol:
Don update your email address
Cubfan64
Expert

Post by Cubfan64 »

don - heck, if we stuck to the things that are known as fact and not speculate, there wouldn't be much to talk about in these LDM forums :)